Problems with Manitou Circus Expert fork on Absolut rattling/looseness internally

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Problems with Manitou Circus Expert fork on Absolut rattling/looseness internally
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 12, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
I have a new Commencal Absolut with the Manitou Circus Expert fork.

Something is very lose and rattling in the fork. I checked and rechecked that all is tight (headset, axle, etc), but it seems like something is lose insode the fork that is just getting worse. It's mostly only felt when coming up off of compression, but can be felt by just dropping the bike from a few inches.

Any ideas what could be the issue? Suggestions on what to check/adjust/change?

TIA

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
mav1c wrote:
I have a new Commencal Absolut with the Manitou Circus Expert fork.

Something is very lose and rattling in the fork. I checked and rechecked that all is tight (headset, axle, etc), but it seems like something is lose insode the fork that is just getting worse. It's mostly only felt when coming up off of compression, but can be felt by just dropping the bike from a few inches.

Any ideas what could be the issue? Suggestions on what to check/adjust/change?

TIA

does it make any noise when just shaking but not compressing the fork?

does it "clunk" through its travel, or just make rattling noises but otherwise feel smooth?

do the compression and rebound dampers appear to working through all settings and full range of fork travel?

easiest guess first, if it makes noise when just shaking and dampers appear to working correctly then its likely the plastic sleeve over the spring has slipped down so the spring is rattling against the stanchions, easy fix not a big deal at all

if it only makes noise after compression or has a not smooth stroke with a thunk then its more likely something damper or topout related, have to open it up and see whats going on internally, could be a bigger problem and if ridden may be damaging fork more

whats your mechanic comfort level?

the circus is a simple fork and easy to work on yourself, if it were me i would dump psi, drop lowers, pull damper and spring, and see whats going on in there, lots of articles and vids online to hep you through the process

Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 14:24 Quote
Are you positive the headset is tight? Mine came stock with not enough of a spacer gap (top spacer sat flush with top of steerer tube) to actually tighten the headset properly. You’d crank until the bolt got tight but the headset wasn’t actually being compressed. Added a slightly taller spacer and it fixed things up, with no more rattles.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019806
Mobile Version of Website