Strongest Brakes?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Strongest Brakes?
  • Previous Page
O+ FL
Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 17:53 Quote
I'm a big guy (6'4, 250ish lbs) and am looking to upgrade my SLX 4 piston brakes (220 front, 200 rear rotors) on a RM Slayer 29. I ride DH, enduro, park, etc. Generally speaking they're pretty decent, but am looking for something strong that's going to slow this freight train down once I get going. Modulation is cool, but overall power is the priority. Looking at:

Shimano Saints
Magura MT7
Hayes Dominion
Hope Tech 4 V4
TRP DHR Evo

Thoughts?

FL
Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 18:22 Quote
all the major brakes from any of the brake guys are good when setup correctly.

From Code RSC to trickstuff. Some are trickier to bleed and often people struggle with that part and then blame the brakes.
They all work fantastic but deliver their power differently, as an example: XT brakes deliver A bunch of power at once at the start of the stroke(when they first hit the rotors) and its why people like them, But the downside is beyond that you have to squeeze quite hard to get anymore power and Often people get considerable hand fatigue from it.

Brakes like Code RSC, Hayes and TRP are more modular and the deeper in the stroke the more power you get - These kinda brakes can Feel "less powerful" however they actually Wipe more speed off more quickly.

In All high performance brakes: The real "power" your feeling is the leverage of rotor size, Everything else is just how it delivers and maintains the power - They also all bleed different, Some harder than others(like Sram for example) but correctly bled they all work very good.

im 210lbs and I tried every brake possible looking for "power" but came to the conclusion that rotor size made more difference.
Im Currently using 1 bike with 220 rotors with XT 4 pots, Thats enough to get me down double blacks or huge runs.
Anther bike im using TRP with 200 rotors and they considerably slow me faster from high speed
3rd bike ive just built(giga) with RSC, 220 front and 200 rear rotor, Ive only done a few rides and theyve been awesome - alot of speed control especially when riding rough stuff my hands dont get wrecked and enough power to send me over the bars no worries.

Just my opinion from spending 6 months trying Pretty much every brake except trickstuff.
havnt tried the new hope's as they came out after i was done but Will get some soon.

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 11:45 Quote
Shimano servo wave levers with Magura MT5/MT7 calipers will be the most powerful brake combination you can run imo

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 14:57 Quote
Eviljarv wrote:
Shimano servo wave levers with Magura MT5/MT7 calipers will be the most powerful brake combination you can run imo

I have to agree, I’ve ridden Saints, Code RSC’s, tried a buddy’s MT7’s and was riding the latest 4-piston XTR’s. Now running a XTR lever with Magura MT5 calipers and the best setup I’ve ridden.

My Trickstuff Maxima’s just shipped though so all that might have just gone out the window though…..lol

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 16:19 Quote
jbrown-15 wrote:
My Trickstuff Maxima’s just shipped though so all that might have just gone out the window though…..lol

Wow, happy 10th anniversary of placing your Trickstuff order!

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 16:32 Quote
barp wrote:
jbrown-15 wrote:

Sorry?

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 18:09 Quote
One thing I do know for certain is that HOPE brakes are easy to maintain.

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 19:10 Quote
jbrown-15 wrote:
Eviljarv wrote:

I have to agree, I’ve ridden Saints, Code RSC’s, tried a buddy’s MT7’s and was riding the latest 4-piston XTR’s. Now running a XTR lever with Magura MT5 calipers and the best setup I’ve ridden.

Same here, running new M9120 XTR levers with MT5 calipers right now and truly pinky finger breaking power but like you I placed an order for a set of Direttissima last year, wish the Maxima came in black

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 19:52 Quote
jbrown-15 wrote:
barp wrote:
jbrown-15 wrote:

Sorry?

They're notorious for unbelievably long lead times. I exaggerated, a little.

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 20:24 Quote
barp wrote:
jbrown-15 wrote:
barp wrote:

Sorry?

Yeah but everyone who’s buying them knows that to start with, it’s not like they are lying to customers.

Plus you don’t pay a dime till they ship, so it’s not like you pay and get them 18 months later.

I ordered mine at the end of February 2021, they said right up front it would be a 18 month lead-time. If I get them at the next week it’s just under 19 months so I’d say it’s also a pretty accurate lead-time.

I believe right now they’re quoting 24 months but I hope with DT Swiss buying Trickstuff that maybe they’ll be able to help them streamline things and get the lead-times down.

But with all that said people are still buying them and waiting for them knowing that lead-time which I think shows you just how good the brakes are. And you almost never see them pop up for sale used so people hold onto them, again that speaks volumes about them.

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 20:59 Quote
Love my mt5’s with XT levers. Had code rsc before and these are a game changer

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 21:39 Quote
jbrown-15 wrote:
barp wrote:
jbrown-15 wrote:

Sorry?

Yeah but everyone who’s buying them knows that to start with, it’s not like they are lying to customers.

I didn't say they were. Just making a joke. Lighten up, Francis.

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 22:55 Quote
barp wrote:
jbrown-15 wrote:
barp wrote:

I didn't say they were. Just making a joke. Lighten up, Francis.

Well certainly consider skipping trying out as a comedian…..lol

Your commit didn’t bother me or offend me, just point out facts.

Francis? Is that your call sign? Like Francis out

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 10:42 Quote
barp wrote:
Dead Horse

So why do you keep posting? You've contributed nothing to this thread.....lol
Well nothing besides your great jokes.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010642
Mobile Version of Website