Switching to a mullet

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 1, 2022 at 10:06 Quote
I have a 2021 Pivot Switchblade. Bought it in the spring of 2020. I fell for all the hype around 29ers as being the new normal in mtn. bikes, and never really fell in love with the attributes of a 29er. Switchblades come with a flip chip that allows you to change the height of the bottom bracket and the dropout on the rear chainstay, and are compatible with being run as a 27.5 or a mullet, in addition to the 29er. About a month ago I decided to try a change to the geometry and changed the bike to a mullet. The result for me was a completely different bike, and one that I like a lot more. First, it takes a lot less effort to climb with the smaller wheel on back. With the flip chip in the high position the drop in seat height was minimal, and there was only a slight slackening of the front fork. The front end behaves entirely different. It is quicker and more nimble, and it goes downhill over technical terrain better. I wouldn't convert a bike not intended to be a mullet, but with the flip chip it works great. Just thought I'd throw my experience with the conversion out there for people considering the same thing.

Posted: Oct 2, 2022 at 1:58 Quote
What you are describing isn’t necessarily due to the wheel size. My experience with messing around with bottom bracket height on a 29er creates exactly the same results you describe. Basically, if you raise the bottom bracket in relation to the rear axle ( reduce the BB drop proportional to the axle) then you get a bike that is easier to manual, climbs better and is noticeably quicker to turn in and lean. I also find it makes the bike quicker through chunk and rocks. The downside, not as stable or planted, particularly in fast corners. It can make a dramatic difference to agility and what may be perceived as playfulness. unfortunately not many bikes allow you to easily play with bottom bracket height in isolation.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009260
Mobile Version of Website