Alicia Leggett seriously injured

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Alicia Leggett seriously injured
Author Message
Posted: Oct 22, 2022 at 19:14 Quote
tfdhusker wrote:
Verbl-Kint wrote:
Saying "Alicia is in the hospital because of a mountain bike injury and needs your help with the medical bills" does not violate HIPAA.

Actually, that is a HIPAA violation if you are her employer.

If anyone has an update on her condition, please share.

Click the original GoFundMe link. There are many many updates posted by her friend and creator of the page.

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2022 at 20:53 Quote
There's information on the GoFundMe and a thread on Reddit about her accident. It seems her dad has started posting on Reddit too but honestly it must be a very hard time for her family and they are still taking this one day at a time. All of the side chatter and speculation on a public forum doesn't make it easier for them. https://www.reddit.com/r/MTB/comments/xtehwd/for_those_of_you_who_love_pinkbikes_alicia/?sort=top
I always enjoy Alicia's content and hope for a miracle for her.

Posted: Oct 27, 2022 at 7:23 Quote
Thank you for the Reddit link. I’ve copied and pasted a couple of her dad’s posts for those who don’t want to wade through all the political bullshit on the Reddit thread. It’s really heartbreaking to read his comments. I agree the forum trolls that insist on posting their outrage over how Pinkbike/Outside is responding aren’t helping.
_________________

"No joke" is an understatement. Yes, blood on the brain, etc, etc. As of Day 26, Alicia is today a 26 year old who struggles to have the intellectual capacity of a 6 year old. Although most of the improvement will take place over the next year, recovery takes place over years and we do not know how much capacity she will regain. Maybe she will never drive or work again. And even if she eventually has some semblance of a normal life, the pain and costs of recovery and grief for the individual and family are way misunderstood and underestimated by the community of risk-takers. Think carefully. Remember that you are valuable. People care about you. Be you. Be safe. - -Alicia's Dad

False. A full rehab is not possible and insurance covers only part of it. Outside Inc is a decent company with good insurance and has been helpful. However rehab by private payment will continue for years. Because of brain injuries, it is unlikely she will qualify for the job she had and uncertain what job she can eventually perform. The loss of a normal life will be largely born by her and her family. Value yourself and be safe. - Alicia's Dad

Posted: Nov 7, 2022 at 21:46 Quote
an "oh my god" bump

If only they had DMSO on site to inject her with the moment this happened...DMSO literally stops major spinal/brain contusions. Look it up...it will prevent paralysis in injuries that otherwise would have completely immobilized the subject.

But....synthetic pharmaceuticals reign "supreme". A travesty

Posted: Nov 8, 2022 at 9:57 Quote
SixxerBikes wrote:
an "oh my god" bump

If only they had DMSO on site to inject her with the moment this happened...DMSO literally stops major spinal/brain contusions. Look it up...it will prevent paralysis in injuries that otherwise would have completely immobilized the subject.

But....synthetic pharmaceuticals reign "supreme". A travesty

I suppose you're using Di Giorgio (2008 ), Dimethyl sulfoxide provides neuroprotection in a traumatic brain injury model?

Do you reject Walter (2020), Influence of Organic Solvents on Secondary Brain Damage after Experimental Traumatic Brain Injury, which assessed the potential of several solvents to act as confounding variables when administering TBI-prevention drugs, and stated "The use of DMSO, Miglyol, and PEG 40 is unproblematic for studies investigating neuroprotective treatment strategies as they do not influence post-traumatic brain damage." ? (emphasis added) And if so, why?

Posted: Nov 8, 2022 at 10:11 Quote
barp wrote:
SixxerBikes wrote:
an "oh my god" bump

If only they had DMSO on site to inject her with the moment this happened...DMSO literally stops major spinal/brain contusions. Look it up...it will prevent paralysis in injuries that otherwise would have completely immobilized the subject.

But....synthetic pharmaceuticals reign "supreme". A travesty

I suppose you're using Di Giorgio (2008 ), Dimethyl sulfoxide provides neuroprotection in a traumatic brain injury model?

Do you reject Walter (2020), Influence of Organic Solvents on Secondary Brain Damage after Experimental Traumatic Brain Injury, which assessed the potential of several solvents to act as confounding variables when administering TBI-prevention drugs, and stated "The use of DMSO, Miglyol, and PEG 40 is unproblematic for studies investigating neuroprotective treatment strategies as they do not influence post-traumatic brain damage." ? (emphasis added) And if so, why?

Yeah, I'm more of an NMP guy myself.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 9:31 Quote
Bump for thinking about Alicia. I hope things are improving.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 19:35 Quote
S0ckeye wrote:
Bump for thinking about Alicia. I hope things are improving.

Here's the latest update on the GoFundMe, posted 8 days ago on 09 November:
"Alicia is doing well. She goes on long walks around different areas of the hospital with almost no assistance. She does physical therapy and can go to the hospital fitness center to use the machines. Each week there is improvement in orientation and balance. She consistently knows she is in Denver, Colorado. Alicia continues all kinds of therapy working on things like memory and awareness. Reading books is one thing Alicia enjoys doing in her free time along with bored games and visiting with her family.
It has been over a month since Alicia’s crash. She has healed a lot and still has a long road of recovery ahead of her. Doctors and her family are happy with the progress she has made but they don’t want to rush anything."

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 13:04 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
barp wrote:
SixxerBikes wrote:
an "oh my god" bump

If only they had DMSO on site to inject her with the moment this happened...DMSO literally stops major spinal/brain contusions. Look it up...it will prevent paralysis in injuries that otherwise would have completely immobilized the subject.

But....synthetic pharmaceuticals reign "supreme". A travesty

I suppose you're using Di Giorgio (2008 ), Dimethyl sulfoxide provides neuroprotection in a traumatic brain injury model?

Do you reject Walter (2020), Influence of Organic Solvents on Secondary Brain Damage after Experimental Traumatic Brain Injury, which assessed the potential of several solvents to act as confounding variables when administering TBI-prevention drugs, and stated "The use of DMSO, Miglyol, and PEG 40 is unproblematic for studies investigating neuroprotective treatment strategies as they do not influence post-traumatic brain damage." ? (emphasis added) And if so, why?

Yeah, I'm more of an NMP guy myself.

Looks like another study showed some positive results from using DMSO:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36353489/

Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 14:36 Quote
Pinkbike can post an article about a multi millionaire (Shawn Palmer) stuff getting stolen but can't post a story about a member of their teams life changing injury.

Posted: Dec 3, 2022 at 13:20 Quote
Why is pink bike so silent? We keep speculating..yet they post ZERO updates. At all...its like they're guilty of something.
We need to take action

Posted: Dec 3, 2022 at 16:36 Quote
What action do you propose, exactly?

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 7:47 Quote
barp wrote:
What action do you propose, exactly?

They could at least post something about her on their main page.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 8:07 Quote
SixxerBikes wrote:
Why is pink bike so silent? We keep speculating..yet they post ZERO updates. At all...its like they're guilty of something.
We need to take action

imho, none of our business.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 8:23 Quote
She posted an update on her Instagram just FYI…and I think it’s been stated that Pinkbike can’t legally discuss it


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010775
Mobile Version of Website