Maxxis tires getting "snaked"

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Maxxis tires getting "snaked"
Previous Page | Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 12:27 Quote
I would like advice on how to stop "snaking" tires. I am talking about where the wheel is true but the tire is bent and causing the wheels to wobble. I am a larger rider who rides on the aggressive side. I used to run over 30 PSI to avoid tire burps and rim impacts, but now I can go as low as 24 PSI with Cushcore, 30mm rims and DH casing tires. Unfortunately, I have started consistently snaking tires, I don't want to go back to riding without inserts, and I strongly dislike the feeling of bent tires especially on faster terrain. I don't necessarily need amazing tires I just want them to keep straight

Should I increase my tire pressure?
Are there inserts that are better for this than others?
What companies / casings are handling this problem well?
What specific action even causes snaking?
Have recent quality control issues lead to this?

I would like to hear from someone who has had this problem and has found solutions to fix it. I am not looking for people to suggest tires with no explanation

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 14:43 Quote
Ben4575 wrote:
I would like advice on how to stop "snaking" tires. I am talking about where the wheel is true but the tire is bent and causing the wheels to wobble. I am a larger rider who rides on the aggressive side. I used to run over 30 PSI to avoid tire burps and rim impacts, but now I can go as low as 24 PSI with Cushcore, 30mm rims and DH casing tires. Unfortunately, I have started consistently snaking tires, I don't want to go back to riding without inserts, and I strongly dislike the feeling of bent tires especially on faster terrain. I don't necessarily need amazing tires I just want them to keep straight

Should I increase my tire pressure?
Are there inserts that are better for this than others?
What companies / casings are handling this problem well?
What specific action even causes snaking?
Have recent quality control issues lead to this?

I would like to hear from someone who has had this problem and has found solutions to fix it. I am not looking for people to suggest tires with no explanation

Is it only on maxxis you have the issue? I know maxxis tires do have this issue and it is known, but I wonder if there is something we as riders can do to lessen it. Curious to see if a different tire brand would have the same issue.

Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 14:57 Quote
I believe I know the answer to this one.

The first time I installed Maxxis tires, I ignored their instructions that specifically said not to use tire levers.

And the tires then showed a wobble exactly in the section where I used the levers.

The next set of new tires, I mounted them using only my bare hands. No wobble; perfectly straight tires.

Conclusion: Maxxis tire beads or sidewalls are susceptible to being stretched under excessive leverage. Mount them gently and they're fine.

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 15:13 Quote
barp wrote:

The first time I installed Maxxis tires, I ignored their instructions that specifically said not to use tire levers.

And the tires then showed a wobble exactly in the section where I used the levers.

The next set of new tires, I mounted them using only my bare hands. No wobble; perfectly straight tires.

Conclusion: Maxxis tire beads or sidewalls are susceptible to being stretched under excessive leverage. Mount them gently and they're fine.

I would pay money to watch someone mount a DH casing maxxis tire onto a rim with cushcore. There's no way

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 16:25 Quote
betterbuckleup wrote:
barp wrote:

I would pay money to watch someone mount a DH casing maxxis tire onto a rim with cushcore. There's no way

Challenge accepted…

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 18:06 Quote
I will never run a DHF anymore, as every one has de-laminated for me. It was not from mounting, as they were fine to start with.
I have not had any problem with the Assegai on the front, though.
Have seen some DHR2s with the same issue.
I have had no problems with the Specialized Butcher & Eliminator, as an alternative to the big M.

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
I don't believe that this is a problem, I checked my tires on a truing stand right after mounting and they were dead straight. After one ride they had a significant wobble. I do understand that using tire levers can unnecessarily stretch out the bead but I am confident that this is a separate issue. Thanks for your input

barp wrote:

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2022 at 10:13 Quote
Over the past two years I have had this happen with:
3 Maxxis DHF's (all on the front) - I have one in a dh casing that seems to be surviving alright
5 Maxxis DHR's (all rear) and 2 in DH casing the rest in exo+
1 Maxxis Assegai (front) - but I also had one of these bad boys survive unbent
1 Maxxis Dissector in Dh casing

This is just my experience with 30mm rims and Cushcore.

Previously I bent countless shwable table top dj tires (40+ PSI and tubes), and a handful of 26 inch dh tires, but those were much more "my fault" as I was learning and often failing to do 360s.

I feel like front tires don't develop this as much from normal trail riding but both front and rear get absolutely toasted with poorly landing tricks as a heavy guy

johnovey wrote:
I will never run a DHF anymore, as every one has de-laminated for me. It was not from mounting, as they were fine to start with.
I have not had any problem with the Assegai on the front, though.
Have seen some DHR2s with the same issue.
I have had no problems with the Specialized Butcher & Eliminator, as an alternative to the big M.

Posted: Oct 5, 2022 at 13:57 Quote
I sometimes get this issue with rear tyres, came on here as this has just happened to a double down maxxis aggressor rear, run at a decently high pressure with a rimpact insert installed. Have always been a maxxis fan, but this only seems to happen with me with maxxis tyres…

Posted: Oct 5, 2022 at 19:47 Quote
Shit, if I had ten bad tires from the same company, I'd just stop buying them. But Maxxis have been great for me as long as I've been careful mounting them.

I'm not heavy and I don't do tricks, so maybe that's an important difference in our experiences.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009327
Mobile Version of Website