OTG Goggles: for those who MUST use glasses under goggles. My personal experience. What you use?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
OTG Goggles: for those who MUST use glasses under goggles. My personal experience. What you use?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 17, 2022 at 6:00 Quote
Hello everybody,

so first of all, I'm not here to get told to use contact lenses, "YouZee clip-in glasses" or do a laser surgery to my eyes. This thread is all about OTG goggles for those who really can't use anything else other than glasses.

Let's begin then.

I'm an enduro/downhill rider, i use goggles a lot, both with full face helmets and open face ones. So far it's been 4 years since i needed to adapt to the use of glasses. Since then i really struggled to find a good fitting OTG goggle. Right now the best goggle I ever used (and still use, even if it is worn out), is the 100% Accuri OTG 1st gen. It offers an excellent vision vertically and laterally, and is: very light, quite cheap, easy to swap lenses and looks good. Fitmentwise they have plenty of room for glasses to fit inside well (I have RayBan Clubmasters for reference), without touching the goggles frame too much, still provides a snug fit to avoid glasses rattling of movement of them. You also don't feel like being too far from the shield, so it makes for a great fitting, good vision goggle. I can see my handlebar and front tyre no problem.

The bad thing is it was replaced by the 2nd gen 100% Accuri OTG which is NOT a good goggle. The lens has transitioned from a nice and wide lens to a smaller and shallower one. My glasses couldn't fit well anymore inside that frame. I can't see my handlebar or front tyre unless I really look down with that. The construction quality remained the same for everything else, but they lost the "OTGbility", which is what mattered the most to me.

Then the Leatt Velocity 6.5 came out, which they claim to be OTG too. It features an impressively large bulletproof lens. The build quality feels amazing, it's nice and sturdy, and looks mega good. It's definitely on the heavy side tho, it feels at least double the weight of the 100% Accuri. The padding inside is soft and nice to the touch. Fitmentwise, the frame of my glasses touches the sides of the goggle's lens. This makes for a hard fit of the glasses, and it presses them to my face and nose while wearing the goggles. The goggles being made of hard plastic don't allow for compliance. Also, when wearing them i can always see a weird reflection on the lens, probably due to the hard to fit glasses inside the goggles. If it wasn't for this factors, i'd love to use them everyday, you really feel safe behind 'em!

I tried to fit my friend's 100% Armega, but it's no chance.

I will try the Oakley AirBrake soon.

Willing to try the Scott Split OTG

What is your experience with OTG Goggles? What did you find helpful?

Cheers

Fabio

Posted: Nov 30, 2022 at 20:03 Quote
Airbrake was a no go for me. Not wide enough. Scott Split OTG is where it’s at. Actually has a cutout in the frame for your glasses to fit into. Most comfortable OTG goggle I’ve tried yet. It’s not a “great” goggle as far as lens construction and quality of foam but for comfort and function with glasses it’s all I use now.

Posted: Dec 3, 2022 at 11:04 Quote
Weeble19 wrote:
Airbrake was a no go for me. Not wide enough. Scott Split OTG is where it’s at. Actually has a cutout in the frame for your glasses to fit into. Most comfortable OTG goggle I’ve tried yet. It’s not a “great” goggle as far as lens construction and quality of foam but for comfort and function with glasses it’s all I use now.

Thanks for your feedback!
In the meantime I’ve tried the Oakley MX L frame. Very good comfort, glasses fit super well inside and definitely a very large spectrum of vision. They get a bit foggy if you stop frequently, especially in winter time. But they sell antifog lenses as well. Very cheap both lens and goggles. Got em discounted for €45 and €8 for the extra replacement lens (which is also already included), from oakleys website. They only offer 2 colors, gloss black and “carbon fibre” pattern. It does as well offer cutouts in the foam for the glasses, which makes it very comfy over long rides.
Overall a decent quality goggle, that ticks all boxes.

Cheers
Fabio

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012084
Mobile Version of Website