Assegai maxxterra vs dhf maxxgrip

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Assegai maxxterra vs dhf maxxgrip
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 0:33 Quote
Front whee only, new exo+ version.
Which one would you choose?!
Mixed dry and wet trails, sometimes on the same day.

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 6:02 Quote
Vittoria Mazza Enduro Casing :p

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 6:47 Quote
Why not Assegai maxxgrip in the front? If I was arbitrarily limited, I guess I would go DHF maxxgrip in front.

I run Assegai maxxgrip front and rear.

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 7:47 Quote
MT36 wrote:
Why not Assegai maxxgrip in the front? If I was arbitrarily limited, I guess I would go DHF maxxgrip in front.

I run Assegai maxxgrip front and rear.

Well, I’m using the Assegai maxxterra right now. Thing is, after so many years riding with a dhf I am not sure if the Assegai is superior or not.
Trying to check general opinions…cause the problem might be in my head.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 8:54 Quote
Understood. I prefer the assegai because there is not that vague area between the middle and side knobs. Where I live, the dirt varies between very dry/firm/dusty and somewhat gravelly/moist. On firm trails, the DHF would loose traction, although very briefly, when the tire was angled just so over that open space between the side and middle knobs.

The assegai does not have this problem, although you pay a weight/rolling penalty with the assegai.

On good, loamy wet dirt though, this did not seem to matter with the DHF. This has been my experience anyway.

The assegai is much grippier all around than the DHF. I thought the DHF was the best tire ever until I switched to Assegai, although the assegai is slower uphill and down. Whether or not one is better than the other I think depends on the conditions. For that extra bit of traction in marginal conditions, Assegai is better.

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 12:31 Quote
MT36 wrote:
Understood. I prefer the assegai because there is not that vague area between the middle and side knobs. Where I live, the dirt varies between very dry/firm/dusty and somewhat gravelly/moist. On firm trails, the DHF would loose traction, although very briefly, when the tire was angled just so over that open space between the side and middle knobs.

The assegai does not have this problem, although you pay a weight/rolling penalty with the assegai.

On good, loamy wet dirt though, this did not seem to matter with the DHF. This has been my experience anyway.

The assegai is much grippier all around than the DHF. I thought the DHF was the best tire ever until I switched to Assegai, although the assegai is slower uphill and down. Whether or not one is better than the other I think depends on the conditions. For that extra bit of traction in marginal conditions, Assegai is better.

You're running a MaxGrip assguy out back, of course it's going to roll like shit.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 12:36 Quote
borlowski90 wrote:
MT36 wrote:

You're running a MaxGrip assguy out back, of course it's going to roll like shit.

It does but it's worth it. It took effort to get fit enough to climb with it but we're all good now.

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 12:40 Quote
Funny that I feel the opposite on firm trails. The dhf was amazing, like cornering on rails. The assegai feels vague and slippery after leaning the bike.
The assegai has a lot of grip, that is sure, it’s the cornering part that I am not sure about it.

Don’t know how to explain in English, but the dhf feels faster, and faster to lean the bike. With the assegai the bike wants to keep going forward and it takes more effort to lean into the corner. And after that there’s not that “lock” that the dhf has.

Or maybe it’s just me being so used to the old dhf…

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 12:46 Quote
Pyres wrote:
Funny that I feel the opposite on firm trails. The dhf was amazing, like cornering on rails. The assegai feels vague and slippery after leaning the bike.
The assegai has a lot of grip, that is sure, it’s the cornering part that I am not sure about it.

Don’t know how to explain in English, but the dhf feels faster, and faster to lean the bike. With the assegai the bike wants to keep going forward and it takes more effort to lean into the corner. And after that there’s not that “lock” that the dhf has.

Or maybe it’s just me being so used to the old dhf…

Sounds like your answer is there: the DHF maxxgrip had more traction than the Assegai maxxterra for you.

It also makes sense that the Assegai is harder to initiate turns with; there is a lot more rubber, more rotational mass, and the side lugs are also more prominent.

Posted: Oct 26, 2022 at 15:41 Quote
DHF was designed for 2.1 to 2.3 tires. As tires widened, the gap between the middle and side knobs became too big leaving a "dead zone" that loses traction at certain lean angles on certain terrain. The Assegai was designed for 2.5 WT tires and gives consistent grip throughout the lean. In a straight line a DHF will roll faster and doesn't give up any grip... some even like it better.

I'm a fan of a MaxxTerra DHR II (2.4WT) out back and MaxxGrip Assegai (2.5WT) up front. For the back, I don't mind and actually prefer a little drifty-ness and find the MaxxGrip just too grippy in some situations. I also find I don't give up much in the way of grip out back to going to a MaxxTerra... but importantly, I also don't wear the tire out in three rides! MaxxGrip in the back wears out way too quickly. I've considered going dual compound in the back to help it last longer.

Also my personal philosophy around tires is that predictability is very important. All the high end tires are all pretty much the same but I stick with my Maxxis combo because I've been riding it for along time and I know exactly how it's going to react in most situations. No need to try another brand and spend a season getting used to it only to realize I'm no faster or slower.

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2022 at 18:14 Quote
Hate paying the Maxxis tax, but put a new Assegai Max Grip on the front today for a wet ride------Awesome!
Had a Butcher T9 & Assegai Maxterra previously on the front & liked both in the dry (don't ride too much in the wet here),
but the Max Grip is very trustworthy in the wet & cooler temps.
Can't say I noticed the extra 200g over the Butcher much, but not trying to set any records on the climbs, anyway.

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2022 at 9:41 Quote
Here in rocky rooty New England.
I run DHF front and back.
The rear tire always wears out quicker.
So when it’s time to replace I put a new one in the front and put the old front on the back.
Also I like the squared off edge of the side knobs. One of the best tires for holding a corner that I’ve found.

Posted: Oct 28, 2022 at 6:01 Quote
islandforlife wrote:
DHF was designed for 2.1 to 2.3 tires. As tires widened, the gap between the middle and side knobs became too big leaving a "dead zone" that loses traction at certain lean angles on certain terrain. The Assegai was designed for 2.5 WT tires and gives consistent grip throughout the lean. In a straight line a DHF will roll faster and doesn't give up any grip... some even like it better.

I'm a fan of a MaxxTerra DHR II (2.4WT) out back and MaxxGrip Assegai (2.5WT) up front. For the back, I don't mind and actually prefer a little drifty-ness and find the MaxxGrip just too grippy in some situations. I also find I don't give up much in the way of grip out back to going to a MaxxTerra... but importantly, I also don't wear the tire out in three rides! MaxxGrip in the back wears out way too quickly. I've considered going dual compound in the back to help it last longer.

Also my personal philosophy around tires is that predictability is very important. All the high end tires are all pretty much the same but I stick with my Maxxis combo because I've been riding it for along time and I know exactly how it's going to react in most situations. No need to try another brand and spend a season getting used to it only to realize I'm no faster or slower.

That 2.1/ 2.3 detail makes a lot of sense, but that “dead zone” was never an issue to me, even on the wt version. The only thing the dhf is really bad is braking traction.

Damm, after reading your opinions i now feel I need to try a maxxgrip Assegai. Or the new Continental kryptotal enduro

Posted: Oct 28, 2022 at 7:24 Quote
Pyres wrote:
Well, I’m using the Assegai maxxterra right now. Thing is, after so many years riding with a dhf I am not sure if the Assegai is superior or not.
Trying to check general opinions…cause the problem might be in my head.

My 2 cents.. the Assegai does not have the ultimate corner bite of either DHF or DHR, but it does give many riders an sense of more control transitioning into a corner "smoother". Ive gone back and forth with those 3 as front tires. For me the DHRII is the winner. It rolls much faster than Assegai and has higher max corner levels and very good braking bite.

Posted: Nov 8, 2022 at 16:18 Quote
So, I got a dhf maxxgrip exo, couldn’t find a exo+ anywhere!! I’m happier, bike is a lot easier to lean into corners and the overall grip is better than my previous Assegai maxxterra. Always learning I guess.
Anyway, thanks for your advices guys.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013738
Mobile Version of Website