Flat Pedal Mountain Bike Shoe

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Flat Pedal Mountain Bike Shoe
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 22, 2022 at 9:05 Quote
Hey guys

was cruising around the world wide web and was searching for an new MTB flat pedal shoe.

since two years im riding with shoes from Pearl Izumi and now i wanna try something different.
The BOA System sucks hard, the sole grip is ok but could be better, the stiffnes is nice.

What are you guys riding for shoes?

Even if someone has got any experience for Ride Concepts or the new Etnies shoes, i'm welcome if you share something about those shoes.

FL
Posted: Oct 23, 2022 at 2:43 Quote
Hello! Shoes are very personal in terms of fitment, but surely we can all agree on the grip level of the sole. I’ve tried many pedals, thinking it was the problem, and then realising the combination between the pedals and the shoe was the main thing. I find the “stealth” rubber on “fiveTen” shoes the grippiest and less durable sole in any shoe. Comfort is pretty good too. Those with some Deity Tmac’s are just too much grip. You literally can’t readjust the foot position unless you remove the foot from the pedal and then put it back.

Crankbrothers stamp shoes on the other hand, are extremely comfortable (the most comfy in my opinion) but the sole is a bit less grippy. It does not bite as much as the fivetens, but it lasts quite a bit longer. They say they have a “match” sole pattern, so that it will perfectly match their flat pedals. In any case, I didn’t find this sole being very good in wet conditions.

Then fizik have their “gravita tensor flat” shoes. They use a vibram sole, it’s about midway between the other two shoes. This shoe offers ankle protection, with is a big plus for some.
Overall a good fitting shoe as well.

This is my experience,
Cheers.

Posted: Oct 23, 2022 at 8:20 Quote
Vecio94 wrote:
Hello! Shoes are very personal in terms of fitment, but surely we can all agree on the grip level of the sole. I’ve tried many pedals, thinking it was the problem, and then realising the combination between the pedals and the shoe was the main thing. I find the “stealth” rubber on “fiveTen” shoes the grippiest and less durable sole in any shoe. Comfort is pretty good too. Those with some Deity Tmac’s are just too much grip. You literally can’t readjust the foot position unless you remove the foot from the pedal and then put it back.

Crankbrothers stamp shoes on the other hand, are extremely comfortable (the most comfy in my opinion) but the sole is a bit less grippy. It does not bite as much as the fivetens, but it lasts quite a bit longer. They say they have a “match” sole pattern, so that it will perfectly match their flat pedals. In any case, I didn’t find this sole being very good in wet conditions.

Then fizik have their “gravita tensor flat” shoes. They use a vibram sole, it’s about midway between the other two shoes. This shoe offers ankle protection, with is a big plus for some.
Overall a good fitting shoe as well.

This is my experience,
Cheers.

A good pedal makes a huge different, thats true.

im riding the Hope F20's or HT ans10.

i took a look at the Fizik shoes, maybe i will give those shoes a try. big toe protection, sole looks good as well.

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2022 at 21:50 Quote
I find myself going back to fiveten freerider pros every time. The soles wear out quickly but the fit and feel suit me better than anything else I've tried.

I have a pretty narrow mid-foot and heel and found etnies and RC too wide and sloppy. I also found the RC hellion that I tried just felt like a flat plank of wood under my foot.

CB mallets fit my foot like slippers. Extremely comfortable but I didn't like the heel raise on them. I prefer a very flat sole after spending my youth in skate shoes. Sizing appeared to run about 1/2 a size smaller than the other brands.

Posted: Oct 30, 2022 at 2:54 Quote
FiveTen Freerider pros for summer/dry riding, Trailcross GoreTex (+/- Sealskinz socks)for winter riding.

FL
Posted: Dec 15, 2022 at 8:42 Quote
I've just switched from 5.10 to Ride Concepts, but these are the only flats I've used as I've been riding clips for 30+ years...

The 5.10s were a bit disappointing for me given how everyone raves about them. It may be the pedal I have (Crank Brothers Stamp 1 Large) that didn't gel too well with the soles as I felt my feet sliding around if even slightly unweighted (e.g. inside foot on corners). I demoed an e-Bike with Shimano XT (M8140?) flat pedals and found a whole new level of grip - much more like I had expected from the 5.10s. The XT spikes are longer than the Stamps and the pedal body may have been a bit more concave, but it was metal rather than plastic.

The 5.10s wore down quite a bit and quite quickly so, as I have access to Ride Concepts stuff, I took a chance on a pair of Powerline shoes with their 'MAX GRIP' rubber outsole...

These gave so much more grip on the Stamps than the 5.10s (which were partly worn when I started using them with the Stamp pedals). At times, t was difficult to move my foot to readjust its position on the pedal due to the level of grip - something I didn't have an issue with when using the (part worn) 5.10s.

Sadly, I've not been able to ride for over two months and only had the Ride Concept shoes for a short while before I had to stop so can't comment on long-term wear or how they work in specific situations or how they are for hike-a-bike adventures. Hopefully, that'll come when I get off crutches and back in action.

Hopefully that is of use.

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2022 at 11:00 Quote
After a few years on 5.10 Impact Pro I decided to make the switch and try the Specialized 2FO DH. I've been really impressed with these shoes...I feel the grip is on par with the 5.10s and they have a very stiff sole. Plus, after 2 seasons they have held up very nicely. I could not be happier and would buy again without hesitation.

Posted: Dec 16, 2022 at 19:41 Quote
I would like to hear OP's issue with the BOA system. I got a pair of Pearl Izumis precisely because they have the BOA system. I love it. I wish my normal, everyday shoes had it.

O+
Posted: Dec 16, 2022 at 22:29 Quote
I have boa on golf shoes and like it there.

My favorite MTB shoes are 5.10 Freeriders. They fit my fat wide foot the best out of anything I have tried. The Freerider Pro is OK as well but stiffer, and don’t seem quite as wide in the toe box.

Posted: Dec 17, 2022 at 7:12 Quote
sub'd....

I'm looking for new pair of flat pedal shoes. My concern is that I really need a stiff sole for my feet (plantar faciawhatever...), I've doinked around the local riding path in my other trail running shoes, and basic court sneaks, and I can't make it a mile before my feet are giving me those sharp pains.

My go-to riding shoe has been an old pair of Merrell trail running shoes for the last couple years. They've given great grip on all pedals ...from worn out barely-a-nub Wellgo's to my current Chromag Scarabs), and pedaling hard on climbs gives my feet no issues whatsoever. (no spinning uphill. 34t front and a 13-34t 9-speed).

I'm thinking these old shoes may have that 'trail protection' insert (rock plate ?) that's meant to keep pointy rocks from jabbing into the sole and into your foot. Can't tell. Sadly these are on their last leg. I want my next pair to give me that same feeling but I have no local LBS that carries a selection of shoes to try on.

from all the reviews and PB talks I think I'm looking at 5.10's or 2FO's........I think....

Posted: Dec 17, 2022 at 12:38 Quote
adm750 wrote:
sub'd....

I'm looking for new pair of flat pedal shoes. My concern is that I really need a stiff sole for my feet (plantar faciawhatever...), I've doinked around the local riding path in my other trail running shoes, and basic court sneaks, and I can't make it a mile before my feet are giving me those sharp pains.

My go-to riding shoe has been an old pair of Merrell trail running shoes for the last couple years. They've given great grip on all pedals ...from worn out barely-a-nub Wellgo's to my current Chromag Scarabs), and pedaling hard on climbs gives my feet no issues whatsoever. (no spinning uphill. 34t front and a 13-34t 9-speed).

I'm thinking these old shoes may have that 'trail protection' insert (rock plate ?) that's meant to keep pointy rocks from jabbing into the sole and into your foot. Can't tell. Sadly these are on their last leg. I want my next pair to give me that same feeling but I have no local LBS that carries a selection of shoes to try on.

from all the reviews and PB talks I think I'm looking at 5.10's or 2FO's........I think....

You almost can’t go wrong with a pair of 5:10 Freerider Pros, and if you’ve previously been using trail shoes you should feel a massive benefit.

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2022 at 17:22 Quote
Yeah freerider pros are basically the benchmark for flat pedal trail shoes. The only problem may be if you have wide feet.

Posted: Dec 20, 2022 at 11:45 Quote
My feet are wide enough across the knuckles to require ski boot punching, and I find the 5-10 Freerider Pros to fit comfortably. As advertised, soft sole gives good grip but fast wear. They are pretty good protection for feet too.

FL
Posted: Dec 20, 2022 at 15:12 Quote
st-alfie wrote:
Yeah freerider pros are basically the benchmark for flat pedal trail shoes. The only problem may be if you have wide feet.

Yeah - My small toe gets crushed in these and ends up as a hot spot.

The grip is good but currently on shimanos new clip shoes(am series 2022+) and they fit perfect as they made them wider than the older gen (am502)

Posted: Dec 21, 2022 at 6:43 Quote
thanks for all the info. I think I will be going with the FR Pros...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025049
Mobile Version of Website