Which Fork for my Hardtail!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Which Fork for my Hardtail!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 2, 2022 at 6:27 Quote
Hi

I am relatively new to MTB so I hope you can direct me Smile

Premise
I am looking to upgrade my Fork from a 100mm Judy Gold to a 120mm Sid Ultimate or 120/130mm Pike Ultimate.

In the future (before race season 2023) I look to then upgrade the frame of my bike to a Yeti Arc - the bike is built around 130mm.

The BIke
I Ride a cube reaction pro c:62
https://archiv.cube.eu/en/2021/416110

The bike has an unreasonably short reach but I am making it work (Shorter than a DV9) - I am looking to upgrade the fork to either a SID ultimate 35mm or Pike set at 120/130 in the mean time whilst I am on the look-out for a good used Arc Frame.

Background
I only have 1 bike so I use this for all my training with a power meter on-road - I race XC on natural trails featuring more enduro-style descents. My weekend rides are long z2 on road with natural trail riding in-between. So a hardtail has been great for most of the riding + technical climbing but can be scary on some steeper stuff.

Upgrading the fork I seek to make a more confident ride over natural trails, often wet, rooty and slippy.

Thoughts
I am leaning towards the Pike as it varies in travel - the only worry is that it doesn't have a lockout. But I think I can learn to ride like this. My understanding that the Sid has less sag than the pike, so would i be able to ride the 130mm on my current bike with the pike and effectively work the same as a 120mm Sid due to the sag and lack of lockout? The only attractive point to the SID is that its lighter weight but from what I hear it may not be good as the sort of trail type riding that I do.

300g isn't too big a deal as skills is a bigger factor. I am relatively lightweight at 65kg with a 300+w ftp - so skills/confidence is what holds me back in my races.

Plot Twist
Or I buy the Yeti Arc frame first and run it with the 100mm Judy Gold (This may be upgradable to 120mm) - Upgrading the fork in May before race season.

Posted: Nov 2, 2022 at 7:21 Quote
NasiLemak wrote:
Hi

I am relatively new to MTB so I hope you can direct me Smile

Premise
I am looking to upgrade my Fork from a 100mm Judy Gold to a 120mm Sid Ultimate or 120/130mm Pike Ultimate.

In the future (before race season 2023) I look to then upgrade the frame of my bike to a Yeti Arc - the bike is built around 130mm.

The BIke
I Ride a cube reaction pro c:62
https://archiv.cube.eu/en/2021/416110

The bike has an unreasonably short reach but I am making it work (Shorter than a DV9) - I am looking to upgrade the fork to either a SID ultimate 35mm or Pike set at 120/130 in the mean time whilst I am on the look-out for a good used Arc Frame.

Background
I only have 1 bike so I use this for all my training with a power meter on-road - I race XC on natural trails featuring more enduro-style descents. My weekend rides are long z2 on road with natural trail riding in-between. So a hardtail has been great for most of the riding + technical climbing but can be scary on some steeper stuff.

Upgrading the fork I seek to make a more confident ride over natural trails, often wet, rooty and slippy.

Thoughts
I am leaning towards the Pike as it varies in travel - the only worry is that it doesn't have a lockout. But I think I can learn to ride like this. My understanding that the Sid has less sag than the pike, so would i be able to ride the 130mm on my current bike with the pike and effectively work the same as a 120mm Sid due to the sag and lack of lockout? The only attractive point to the SID is that its lighter weight but from what I hear it may not be good as the sort of trail type riding that I do.

300g isn't too big a deal as skills is a bigger factor. I am relatively lightweight at 65kg with a 300+w ftp - so skills/confidence is what holds me back in my races.

Plot Twist
Or I buy the Yeti Arc frame first and run it with the 100mm Judy Gold (This may be upgradable to 120mm) - Upgrading the fork in May before race season.
I feel like a new fork would make a bigger difference than buying a new frame would so I would go for a new fork, you don't need to do what I would do though. As far as the lock-out concern goes for the pike, Id say that if you pump it up a bit higher it would feel pretty solid. I'm running a pike dj which is a lot different than a normal pike but the compression adjust should be the same, so basically if you turn it all the way up it almost feels solid so it would probably feel likeits almost locked out. And the sag can also be adjusted by just adjusting your air pressure. I'm not an expert on xc riding by any means, but I feel like if you read reviews, watch some yt videos and see what other people are riding, you should be able to make your mind up. If youre concerned about the weight, just know that some good lightweight tires are gonna make a world of difference (maybe conti racekings set up tubeless)

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 11:51 Quote
I'm not 100% sure, but if you run a longer travel fork then your reach measurement would likely be shorter on your current bike (again, I'm not certain about this).

Is the Yeti Arc your ideal frame for what you want to use if for (xc racing)? If you bought the frame first and run the 100mm fork, the reach may be a wee bit longer than what it would be with a 130mm fork.

If you know what you don't like about your current bike, note the geo numbers and spend some time browsing other bike brands geo charts to get an idea of what may work for you (although geo charts may not accurately reflect how a bike will feel until you ride it).

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 19:14 Quote
Expending the travel on your current fork, if possible, or going to a longer travel fork will make the bike descend better no matter which fork you go with since it will slacken the head angle. This will definitely make the reach feel slightly shorter. You can compensate for the shorter reach with a slightly longer stem.

The SID is a great fork and should be enough for your needs, especially since you're relatively light. I tried a friend's trek top fuel with 120mm SID on some rough trails earlier this fall, and while it's not as stiff or composed as the pike I have on my hardtail, it was well suited for the top fuel well. For reference, I'm around 190lbs.

Posted: Dec 12, 2022 at 20:49 Quote
Using a longer fork on a bike that is already short on reach will make it even shorter. Technically, up to 20mm increase in travel is ok, 30mm is too much. Personally I wouldn't go this route with the frame you have now.

The Arc frame could make a great XC/trail allrounder but it's pretty expensive. Have you looked around to see if there are other options with similar geometry?

I think I would keep the Cube as it is for now and build the Yeti how I want to when funds allow.

On the fork, maybe consider a DVO Saphire. It's more adjustable than a Pike and you can change travel by adding or removing internal spacers. No need to buy a new airshaft for each change. A bit heavier than the Pike though at 1900gr. Excellent ride quality and especially small bump sensitivity.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008863
Mobile Version of Website