Question about Muc-Off MO94 about fork use. Is it ok?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Question about Muc-Off MO94 about fork use. Is it ok?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 8, 2022 at 2:51 Quote
Hello!
There is an offer for a Muc-off kit for 16€ including Muc -Off dry or wet chain lube, 1L cleaning spray and 400ml MO-94. I really want to have a product that can lube my fork and I do not want to buy an extra can for 10€. Is MO-94 similar to Silicone Shine? Should I use it for my fork?

Posted: Nov 8, 2022 at 12:50 Quote
I wouldn't use it on my bike, it's basically just GT85 from what I can gather
Your forks get lubed from the inside from oil in the lowers, anything else is just being wiped off by the dust seals, so don't bother

Posted: Nov 8, 2022 at 14:22 Quote
TimMog wrote:
I wouldn't use it on my bike, it's basically just GT85 from what I can gather
Your forks get lubed from the inside from oil in the lowers, anything else is just being wiped off by the dust seals, so don't bother

You are right but I still just find my fork smoother when I lube it. Do you have any recommendations about it? Also, Muc-Off says MO94 is PTFE based.

Posted: Nov 9, 2022 at 2:45 Quote
Yes, my recommendation is don't use it.

You're already lubing it from the oil inside the fork. But by all means, go ahead and spray a very nasty compound into the air near your lungs, pads and rotors, because you *think* it makes your forks feel smoother

Posted: Nov 9, 2022 at 7:57 Quote
Why don't you just service your fork, fresh lowers lube, oil soak the foam rings, and clean and regrease the seals... That will make your fork smooth and keep it from self destruction. Just putting stuff on the stanchions makes the fork a little slippery through the seals but doesn't help with anything else.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2022 at 8:09 Quote
I have been using a somewhat similar product from Whistler Performance on my suspension. The gains are minimal but there are some.

These products are really good at cleaning the fork... something about the fluid really gets dust and dirt off the seals and stanchions better than anything I have used before.

I can still feel the drop off in small bump sensitivity at roughly the manufacturer's recomended hourly interval for maintenance. The difference is, that drop in sensitivity is not as great as when I don't use this product. So gains are minimal but they are noticeable.

These products are not a substitute for doing maintenance when it's needed. I am OCD about timely suspension maintenance... it makes a big performance difference and keeps things running longer.

Posted: Nov 12, 2022 at 6:04 Quote
TimMog wrote:

You're already lubing it from the oil inside the fork. But by all means, go ahead and spray a very nasty compound into the air near your lungs, pads and rotors, because you *think* it makes your forks feel smoother

Man my fork doesnt move smoothly if dry and not lubed, do not tell me that I "think" it makes it smoother because it really does. Also, the oil in your fork lubes the inner parts, not the space between the stanchions and the dust wipers. If it hasn't been serviced for a while, the foam rings do not really do their job perfectly....

Posted: Nov 12, 2022 at 6:06 Quote
eshew wrote:
Why don't you just service your fork, fresh lowers lube, oil soak the foam rings, and clean and regrease the seals... That will make your fork smooth and keep it from self destruction. Just putting stuff on the stanchions makes the fork a little slippery through the seals but doesn't help with anything else.

It is going for a full service in a week tho. I will get new SKF dust wipers and all the stuff you said will be done. I know keeping your fork fresh is the best option but there is a difference between lubed and non-lubed fork( as you said, it is more slippery)Smile

Posted: Nov 12, 2022 at 6:10 Quote
MT36 wrote:
I have been using a somewhat similar product from Whistler Performance on my suspension. The gains are minimal but there are some.

These products are really good at cleaning the fork... something about the fluid really gets dust and dirt off the seals and stanchions better than anything I have used before.

I can still feel the drop off in small bump sensitivity at roughly the manufacturer's recomended hourly interval for maintenance. The difference is, that drop in sensitivity is not as great as when I don't use this product. So gains are minimal but they are noticeable.

These products are not a substitute for doing maintenance when it's needed. I am OCD about timely suspension maintenance... it makes a big performance difference and keeps things running longer.

You totally know the truth. As I said or I didn't(I don't remember), I bought the fork some months ago and it hasn't been ridden for 2 years but it has been serviced at 60h of riding and my seals catch dirt and leak like one drop for a month. In a week, I am getting the fork serviced with new oil, seals and a full rebuild and bleed of the damper. Hope the sensitivity gets better. (the fork is Fox 40 RC2 and it did not really perform as I expected.)

Posted: Nov 12, 2022 at 9:22 Quote
I'd be curious if you notice a difference between using the stanchion treatment after the lowers service and new seals. I prefer the green SkF seals personally. And do try to get some grease in between the seal lips, not a lot of room and it's kinda uncertain how much stays after inserting the stanchions... But I try everytime anyway.

Anyway, keep us posted. Smile

Posted: Nov 12, 2022 at 10:58 Quote
nachorideskona wrote:
TimMog wrote:

Man my fork doesnt move smoothly if dry and not lubed, do not tell me that I "think" it makes it smoother because it really does. Also, the oil in your fork lubes the inner parts, not the space between the stanchions and the dust wipers. If it hasn't been serviced for a while, the foam rings do not really do their job perfectly....

Then if it's actually helping your forks move, because your fork isn't moving due to lack of lubrication and lots of friction, then it's LONG overdue a service. It will feel loads better and you honestly won't need to spray MucOff at it every day

Posted: Dec 11, 2022 at 6:06 Quote
TimMog wrote:
nachorideskona wrote:
TimMog wrote:

Then if it's actually helping your forks move, because your fork isn't moving due to lack of lubrication and lots of friction, then it's LONG overdue a service. It will feel loads better and you honestly won't need to spray MucOff at it every day

Yeah I'm sending it in 1 or 2 weeks! I bought the fork recently and founs out it wasn't ridden for 2 years so the stuff in it is getting old! I bought the MucOff kit for washing and lubing and It does Its job! The other thing I found out is the fact there's a small play due to worn bushings, they are getting changed soon.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017008
Mobile Version of Website