Wrongly pressed frame bearings

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Wrongly pressed frame bearings
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2022 at 13:05 Quote
Hello

I was changing frame bearings on my Gambler. Almost every bearing was not a problem but I had issues with two of them on the suspension linkage due to its design. Even if I have the right equipment, had them in the freezer, grease the hole and bearing, it did not go in straight. I stopped pressing with the first sign of pressure increase, because I felt it's not going in straight. And of course it was not fully pressed in.
After that I carefully press the bearing out and noticed, it created a small groove, not deep, in the hole for the bearing, in the material of a linkage (aluminium). I used sand paper and dremel wire brush to make it smooth. Put a grease again, centered the bearing again and pressed it in properly.
Question is - is it allright to smoothen the material and then press the bearing or can it create problems in the future? Also I know you should not press the bearing out by the inner race but I did it carefully and it seems to be working fine (it was a new bearing). No rubbing, no resistance. Is this ok?
New bearing luckily does not cost too much, but the linkage is quite expensive..

Thanks

Posted: Nov 11, 2022 at 14:53 Quote
You're fine. Plenty of frames out there with oversized bores from the factory, just cleaning up a spot from a bad press-in isn't going to cause an issue.

Posted: Nov 12, 2022 at 0:31 Quote
You say you're using the right tools, but you also say you pressed it in on the inner race - a proper tool shouldn't be doing that, what tool are you using?

Posted: Nov 12, 2022 at 1:42 Quote
TimMog wrote:
You say you're using the right tools, but you also say you pressed it in on the inner race - a proper tool shouldn't be doing that, what tool are you using?
No, I said I press the bearing out again, by pressing on the inner race of the bearing. Because on the back side of the bearing bore in the frame, there are little stops so you won't press the bearing through. That means I cannot push them out on the outer diameter. Otherwise I am using threaded rod and precise cnc bearing "drum" with the right size of my bearings. There is even the inner centering and it is pushing on outer diameter.

Posted: Nov 12, 2022 at 2:13 Quote
My mistake, misread it.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021127
Mobile Version of Website