EXT Storia vs Fast Fenix (especially for a Knolly)

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
EXT Storia vs Fast Fenix (especially for a Knolly)
Previous Page | Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 15:54 Quote
Ok everyone, let's talk dentist stuff. This is a face-off between these two examples of wealth and prestige.
What is the difference(s) between these two beautiful looking/expensive coil shocks? Which one is better... especially for a Knolly?

-Sorry fans of Push, they're limited to only specific frames, so is not an option in this case.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 0:41 Quote
I've seen a few feedbacks on a French forum about the EXT vs BOS and they weren't looking good for EXT ...

It's not a bad shock, but the brand didn't seem to want to modify the setting to make it work for the rider. A friend bought one for an MDE Damper, and after a few months of trying to have the setting changed to better suit the bike, because the setting that was on was just off, he went back to an old BOS Stoy and dispite no platform/lock, was a lot better.

It might be down to EXT or the French distributor, I don't know.

I do know that Fast is completely fine to change the setting to suit your needs, but you being on the other side of the Atlantic might not be the easiest to do. I've not had the need to change the setting on mine, but a friend did once or twice because he was very picky.

So I'd most likely go for a Fast if I had the choice between a Fast and an EXT. They're also releasing a new Fenix, the Fenix EVO, but I have no idea what's changing between the Fenix I have and the new one other than visually with a different piggyback.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 0:52 Quote
"Better" for what? Type of riding, leverage curve, colour?
A decent tuner should revalve and tune your shock to your weight, bike and riding style anyway so then it comes down to your budget, and if the shock has features you think you might use. If things like HBO are of interest to you and you're likely to ride hard enough to use it, go with a shock that has them.

FWIW, I have an EXT because I liked the looks of it, my frames designer is the UK distributer and service centre, and it was just included with the frame, tbh.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 6:07 Quote
Riding a storia on a spire here. I find it to be a great shock. It is noisy, the little plastic disc on the bottom out bumper rattles. If you’re into quiet this isn’t the shock for you. The hydraulic bottom out has been very nice. I’ve found the adjustment range to be within my liking at 100kg. N. American support appears to be pretty good.

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 10:32 Quote
@TimMog you're riding a Geometron eh? Definitely a good combo matching the Geometron to the EXT. Ya, I had a Cane Creek DB Coil that was tuned perfectly for me and my old Transition Patrol, but my shock guy moved away somewhere far away. This whole discussion came up from me and my buddy talking about Push and how they don't make shocks for our frames anymore, so we started looking for alternatives and the only two we found were Fast and EXT, and couldn't find enough information about the Fast Fenix to give an appropriate comparison... So when I'm asking which one is better, I guess it's a broad question that comes down to the experiences of whomever is riding these shocks (because obviously Fast has the better colours for my bike)... I just got curious if there was much of a difference between the two.
I've also heard about the plastic disc rattle on the EXT and thought they'd have fixed that by now, weird.

Posted: Nov 18, 2022 at 0:30 Quote
Maybe try and test ride some bikes with those shocks, if you can, see which you gel with better.
My EXT has never rattled. When it arrived I had the double sided sticky tape ready to stick it down to the bumper, but it was just a messy faff so I gave up and thought I'd come up with another solution if it ever bothered me while riding - it never actually made a noise, so that was that.
The range of damping adjustment on it is very narrow (also read; subtle) because it's tuned for you, which is worth noting. If you're someone that likes to crank up or down your compression a lot for various scenarios, you might be disappointed. Personally, I feel it works so well at everything with just minor adjustments, so that doesn't bother me. It also likes to be ridden hard, the faster you're going the better it is, although the same can be said for my frame so maybe part of that comes into play

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 13:29 Quote
I have both of those shocks - Storia on a Patrol and Insurgent and Fast Evo on a Revel Rail.

Have had 2 x Knolly Warden's in the past (OG and the 157 one) and I wouldn't hesitate to put either shock on a Knolly tbh (same with an Ohlins TTX22M coil).

The Evo has LSC/MSC that are adjustable along with rebound and HSC is set by Fast. Service can be done by S4 Suspension in Canada which I where I picked mine up on a black Friday deal last year.

Not sure who does EXT service/tuning in Canada...Alba probably.

I really like both shocks and they aren't that dissimilar to one another in ride really - both are active feeling, not terribly heavy for coil shocks, etc.

Ride is more active/sporty feeling than say Push 11.6 which is more velvety/magic carpet ride type deal.

You can't go wrong with either although if you didn't like the HSC settings that Fast comes up with you can't adjust them on the fly although the MSC adjustment is pretty amazing as far as allowing you to adjust the transitions from LSC to HSC.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012433
Mobile Version of Website