Brand hierarchy

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 9:19 Quote
borlowski90 wrote:
Santa Cruz is just as mass produced and sold as Specialized, they are not boutique. When speaking of boutique, the consideration of 'rarity' and 'one off' are mentioned within definitions. Think of boutique clothing stores, things you don't find at your local mass franchise store... Santa Cruz does not check those boxes.

Fair point. They are pretty common.

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 9:40 Quote
Boutique = custom made....... so specifically tailored to the rider

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 10:44 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
TimMog wrote:
Pyres wrote:
I think an Atherton bike would be a questions/ looks magnet anywhere in the world

Yep. I've only ever seen one in real life, and it was being ridden by one of their mechanics

Rumour has it that there aren’t many more than that “in the wild”?

Now you're beginning to understand

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 11:50 Quote
naptime wrote:

Interesting definition.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 13:13 Quote
I'm sure the perception varies depending on location as well.

For example, to pick on some from your list -

You class Orange as a 'big manufacturer', but are they really known or recognised outside the UK? I could be wrong but I've never seen one here in NZ, and only ever heard them mentioned by people in the UK. To be considered a big manufacturer in the bike industry I think a significant international market share is needed.

Calibre and Boardman - also appear to be UK brands that are basically unknown in other countries?

Could also mention Merida - a big manufacturer for most of the world, but I don't think they sell to the USA? I'd rate them a step below Giant/Trek/Specialized for quality, but maybe that's just my own bias?

Then there are some like Ibis and Pivot which are expensive enough here in NZ to make them quite rare and so they seem exotic to me, but may be more accessible and less special in the USA where they are from?

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 14:33 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
naptime wrote:

Interesting definition.

I don't think being custom made is a prerequisite for being boutique. It might be part of it, but boutique could also mean only offering one product. This is what we sell, you buy it or you don't.

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 20:47 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
naptime wrote:

Interesting definition.

my bastardised dip shit version of dictionary definition...

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 23:41 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
I'm sure the perception varies depending on location as well.

For example, to pick on some from your list -

You class Orange as a 'big manufacturer', but are they really known or recognised outside the UK? I could be wrong but I've never seen one here in NZ, and only ever heard them mentioned by people in the UK. To be considered a big manufacturer in the bike industry I think a significant international market share is needed.

Calibre and Boardman - also appear to be UK brands that are basically unknown in other countries?

Could also mention Merida - a big manufacturer for most of the world, but I don't think they sell to the USA? I'd rate them a step below Giant/Trek/Specialized for quality, but maybe that's just my own bias?

Then there are some like Ibis and Pivot which are expensive enough here in NZ to make them quite rare and so they seem exotic to me, but may be more accessible and less special in the USA where they are from?

Yeah thinking about it, Orange are like a (slightly) cheaper version of Santa Cruz, rather than a mass manufacturer.

Calibre and Boardman (and Voodoo I think?) are shop own brands in the UK.

Posted: Nov 30, 2022 at 16:26 Quote
I get what you're trying to say. I think I put them into brackets of mostly equal brands. Here's how I rate some of the brands, assuming there may be some upward/downward mobility for each:

-Antidote (I cannot imagine a finer bike.)
-Pivot, Yeti, Transition, Santa Cruz
-Commencal, YT, Intense, Nukeproof
-Specialized, Giant, Trek
-Fezzari, Vitus

Posted: Nov 30, 2022 at 20:44 Quote
Uno... without a doubt! Have you seen the box the frame arrives in!! Now that's boutique

Posted: Dec 3, 2022 at 20:14 Quote
Brands like Antidote and Unno are 100x more "boutique" than what you have listed

Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 1:12 Quote
mkul7r4 wrote:
Brands like Antidote and Unno are 100x more "boutique" than what you have listed

I agree. I’d say that they’re limited edition super bikes.

Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 4:15 Quote
Ultimately, I think where you're trying to establish a "hierarchy" for bike brands, you could just substitute that for cost. The most expensive bikes are at the top.

Whether that cost hierarchy matches up with people's individual tastes and what they deem as the "best" brand is another matter

I, for one, think that Unno bikes are absolutely honking, and make me think of Italian fashion brands and car manufacturers who make designs that are eye-shatteringly ugly, but because they cost a million pounds, their customers think they're brilliant

Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 4:21 Quote
I've seen and worked on one Antidote ever, and it was very light, but for me was just another all black carbon bike. It could have been anything.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 12:53 Quote
borlowski90 wrote:
Santa Cruz is just as mass produced and sold as Specialized, they are not boutique. When speaking of boutique, the consideration of 'rarity' and 'one off' are mentioned within definitions. Think of boutique clothing stores, things you don't find at your local mass franchise store... Santa Cruz does not check those boxes.

Santa cruz produces nowhere near the volume of Specialized. It's not even close...

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012753
Mobile Version of Website