Brand hierarchy

Posted: Dec 7, 2022 at 19:25 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
Santa cruz produces nowhere near the volume of Specialized. It's not even close...

And yet they're still everywhere. They're not boutique. They're the John deere of mtb. Mass produced, yet still expensive for some reason. You pay for the name on the frame.

Posted: Dec 7, 2022 at 21:39 Quote
Ih8Hondas wrote:
fourfourone wrote:
Santa cruz produces nowhere near the volume of Specialized. It's not even close...

And yet they're still everywhere. They're not boutique. They're the John deere of mtb. Mass produced, yet still expensive for some reason. You pay for the name on the frame.

As a 'cycle' brand yeah but, we're talking MTB. I see WAY more SC than spesh out on the trails an bike parks..
Were I am anyway.

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 0:25 Quote
naptime wrote:
Ih8Hondas wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

As a 'cycle' brand yeah but, we're talking MTB. I see WAY more SC than spesh out on the trails an bike parks..
Were I am anyway.

I agree. Which is what made me (subjectively) think that Specialized were a bit “special”, when (objectively) they’re not.

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 23:32 Quote
naptime wrote:
Ih8Hondas wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

Were I am anyway.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Santa Cruz is everywhere. Not boutique.

Posted: Dec 19, 2022 at 13:43 Quote
Ih8Hondas wrote:
naptime wrote:
Ih8Hondas wrote:

Were I am anyway.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Santa Cruz is everywhere. Not boutique.

Just because you see them everywhere doesn't mean a brand can't be boutique. It means it's a damn good product. It means people are willing to pay the higher cost to get better quality. I've seen it over and over again on the santa cruz forums, that people will wait months or almost a year for their bikes.

Higher quality with a higher price and less production numbers then the big box bike brands like Specialized, trek, giant etc = boutique in the bike world.

Posted: Dec 19, 2022 at 21:38 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
Higher quality with a higher price and less production numbers then the big box bike brands like Specialized, trek, giant etc = boutique in the bike world.

I really don't see Santa Cruz as being any different from those other brands aside from price at this point.

Posted: Dec 19, 2022 at 22:02 Quote
Ih8Hondas wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

……. You pay for the name on the frame.

Exactly, because that particular name means something more than most other names. Pretty shortsighted to think there’s nothing special about SC that warrants paying a premium that people wouldn't even come close to paying for other brands….for nearly 20 years. Still wouldn’t call them boutique but they’re not in the same class as Trek or Specialized.

Posted: Dec 20, 2022 at 18:02 Quote
pinkbert wrote:
Pretty shortsighted to think there’s nothing special about SC that warrants paying a premium that people wouldn't even come close to paying for other brands….for nearly 20 years.

What exactly is special about them? I test rode a Megatower when I was shopping for bikes. I felt nothing that would warrant the absurd pricing.

Posted: Dec 21, 2022 at 8:47 Quote
Ih8Hondas wrote:
pinkbert wrote:
Pretty shortsighted to think there’s nothing special about SC that warrants paying a premium that people wouldn't even come close to paying for other brands….for nearly 20 years.

What exactly is special about them? I test rode a Megatower when I was shopping for bikes. I felt nothing that would warrant the absurd pricing.

The absurd pricing is relative to how they spec the bikes, which I agree is shit. Fact is all bikes are expensive. Just easier to justify the Giant when its compared to the Santa Cruz. But I thought we were talking about the characteristics of the frame…

I’m not here to pitch you on SC. Name one thing SC frames drop the ball on and you can’t say price!

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2022 at 20:18 Quote
Last time I went to Thredbo there were far more Yetis and Santa Cruzes in the lift queue than there were Vituses.

So tell me again what's boutique Wink

Posted: Dec 21, 2022 at 23:34 Quote
pinkbert wrote:
The absurd pricing is relative to how they spec the bikes, which I agree is shit. Fact is all bikes are expensive. Just easier to justify the Giant when its compared to the Santa Cruz. But I thought we were talking about the characteristics of the frame…

I’m not here to pitch you on SC. Name one thing SC frames drop the ball on and you can’t say price!

I'm not saying thou drop the ball on anything. They're just nothing special like they seem to think they are. They're just another mass market bike brand. They just happen to be several grand more expensive for some unknown reason.

Posted: Dec 22, 2022 at 0:21 Quote
Ih8Hondas wrote:
pinkbert wrote:

I'm not saying thou drop the ball on anything. They're just nothing special like they seem to think they are. They're just another mass market bike brand. They just happen to be several grand more expensive for some unknown reason.

I don’t think that you can say that Santa Cruz are mass market. Where’s the £450 entry level hardtail in their line up?

Posted: Dec 22, 2022 at 1:33 Quote
Santa Cruz it owned by Pon Holdings. They aren't going to dilute and cheapen the brand name with an entry level bike, they own plenty of other brands that do cheap bikes.

Posted: Dec 22, 2022 at 2:33 Quote
Santa Cruz are the equivalent to Mercedes or BMW. You can buy a similar spec bike/car for much less, but you pay for the name on the front of it. And you see them *everywhere*.

Posted: Dec 22, 2022 at 10:04 Quote
boozed wrote:
Last time I went to Thredbo there were far more Yetis and Santa Cruzes in the lift queue than there were Vituses.

So tell me again what's boutique Wink

My suggestion is to look up what boutique means. None of these companies fit the bill.

Active Forum Threads
2 mins ago - Frames with water bottle mounts?
29 mins ago - Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
37 mins ago - stuck between models
1 hours ago - 100 (or more) days of biking in 2023!
1 hours ago - Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
1 hours ago - +256702530886 #twins Pregnancy spells caste,r and fertility spells to help you conceive a child of your own
2 hours ago - +256702530886 win Court Cases spells caster +256702530886WIN COURT CASE QUICKLY
2 hours ago - +256702530886 #twins Pregnancy spells caster and fertility spells to help you conceive a child of your own Florida
2 hours ago - How to join illuminati occult for money ritual in +256783573282Al Ahmadi EDINBURGH Canada and USA%+256783573282
2 hours ago - Fertility Spells Get Pregnant now +256783573282 VOODOO, WITCHCRAFT AND BLACK MAGIC
2 hours ago - Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
3 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
3 hours ago - Slow air leak after shock rebuild - looking for ideas
3 hours ago - All Things Meta 29er!
4 hours ago - 21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
5 hours ago - Trek Slash 2021 ?
5 hours ago - Tyee 2020
6 hours ago - Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
6 hours ago - Ripmo AF Thread
7 hours ago - Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post* then contact captainbringdown directly
7 hours ago - Sizing for more upright riding position
7 hours ago - ~$3K Carbon Endurance Road Bike
7 hours ago - Grease recommendation.
8 hours ago - Gear cable length
8 hours ago - Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013317
Mobile Version of Website