SRAM Code Levers Losing Pressure While Stationary

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
SRAM Code Levers Losing Pressure While Stationary
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 24, 2022 at 21:36 Quote
I've got a new pair of Code RSCs where the rear loses pressure.
The bite point is well-defined so I dismissed it being a bleed issue?

Squeezing the lever with a bit of pressure sees the lever gradually reach the bar over 10-15seconds. After a further 10sec or so I can rotate the rear wheel despite holding the lever firm against the bar.

Releasing the lever takes the bite point back to the original position, then can repeat as above.

Brakes have only been used for a month. Is this a warranty job or something I can tinker with?

Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 0:17 Quote
Sounds like they just need to be bled. Just because they're new, doesn't mean they were bled or installed right

Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 1:13 Quote
TimMog wrote:
Sounds like they just need to be bled. Just because they're new, doesn't mean they were bled or installed right

The slow loss of pressure makes me think there's oil leaking past the piston. Definitely no oil leaking out of the system.

Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 4:14 Quote
Sorry, misread what was happening - so it's biting, then if you hold the lever it slowly then reaches the bar? That fluid is going somewhere, so there must be a leak. Check all the hose connectors are tightened to correct torque, inspect very carefully for fluid coming out of somewhere. Damaged hose? Damaged master cylinder seal?

Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 10:45 Quote
I agree with TimMog; there is definitely a fluid leak somewhere. It is probably very small, enough so that the brake fluid does not leak out while the lever is not being squeezed. Once squeezed, the lever pumps enough fluid to pressurize the system, which then eventually leaks out of your loss point, wherever that is.
Take your wheel off, put a block between the brake pads and look carefully at the caliper while a friend pumps your lever. I bet you have a small leak somewhere at that point. If not, check the fittings on your brake line and finally the lever assembly itself.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 21:22 Quote
FWIW I had both of my Code levers on my ‘22 Levo replaced under warranty due to soft levers. The shop couldn’t bleed them. Seemed like there was a leak and blockage at the same time.

Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 7:51 Quote
megabobra wrote:
I've got a new pair of Code RSCs where the rear loses pressure.
The bite point is well-defined so I dismissed it being a bleed issue?

Squeezing the lever with a bit of pressure sees the lever gradually reach the bar over 10-15seconds. After a further 10sec or so I can rotate the rear wheel despite holding the lever firm against the bar.

Releasing the lever takes the bite point back to the original position, then can repeat as above.

Brakes have only been used for a month. Is this a warranty job or something I can tinker with?

First places I'd start looking are (in this order), bleed ports on the calipers (make sure they're done up with a ?4mm allen key), bleed ports (top and bottom) on the levers and then the conjectamajigs.

If they're new, then possibly/probably a warranty job, but generally quicker to sort things myself I find.

Posted: Dec 17, 2022 at 1:25 Quote
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I've done a thorough inspection on all three bleed ports, hose connections each end and the caliper pistons themselves. No signs of any fluid leaks while pulling hard on the lever until it ends up reaching the bars.

Out of frustration I also pulled the lever apart expecting to see the master cylinder seals being shot, but they (visually at least) looked fine.

Any more ideas before I throw in the towel? Spoke to the shop I picked them up from - for a warranty job, I need to pull the lever, hose and caliper off and post back to SRAM for assessment..... Obviously that's last on my list..

Posted: Dec 18, 2022 at 1:05 Quote
Did you check the reservoir seal? What about the hoses themselves, any kinks or cracks along them? It would be cheapest part to replace to see if it fixes things

Posted: Dec 18, 2022 at 1:09 Quote
https://www.reddit.com/r/MTB/comments/9kno54/repair_sram_guide_rsc_losing_pressure_when/

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2022 at 18:11 Quote
I had exact same issue TWICE with code rsc brakes 1.5 years ago. Could never find a leak. Multiple bleed jobs didn’t fix it. The first time it happened sram replaced the whole brake system. The second time a few months later, they only replaced the hose. I was surprised that swapping out the hose fixed it. Tiny leak somewhere?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016771
Mobile Version of Website