Lyrik Ultimate removed permanent slide ring (rebound assembly)

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Lyrik Ultimate removed permanent slide ring (rebound assembly)
Previous Page | Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 15:35 Quote
Well, I royally messed up. I was following the instructions for the 200h service on my rockshox lyrik ultimate -- and had gotten to the damper.... After removing the rebound assembly and draining the oil the manual says to remove the slide ring from the piston head. The picture showed two versions, one white one brown. I removed the white ring which matches mine (in color only). To my horror, the next step said to NOT remove the ring FOR ULTIMATE Redface I should have read one step further instead of just looking at the color, very frustrating.

Not really sure what to do, most obvious is to buy a new damper -- unfortunate given how small the ring is. The slide ring that does come in the 200H kit is too thick for the ultimate. Trying local shops to see if one might have spare damper parts. If I end up needing to replace the damper, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try and 3d print one that fits (something feels wrong about a 3d printed internal on such a nice fork). Any thoughts or suggestions of other ideas I could try, or maybe where to find one of these -- would be a miracle, though I fear the worst. Madder

Added a screen shot of the failed step for reference.

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 15:48 Quote
I'm confused. It says to not remove the brown ring...but you don't have a brown ring, instead you have a white split ring which is supposed to be removed and replaced. So what came with your kit?

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 16:05 Quote
The 200h service kit I was using comes with a white split ring, I assume for servicing everything but the ultimate/select+. My damper though had a solid band glide ring, but it was also white (not brown like shown in the service manual). So the picture I showed of my ring is of it split after I incorrectly cut it to remove it.

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 16:10 Quote
Ohhhhh you cut it off. I see. If it were me, I'd probably just try and install the new split ring and see what happened. I don't know how you'd get a new brown ring on there unless it was made of rubber.

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 16:11 Quote
.....wait.....you already said the new ring is too thick. I'm not sure then, maybe call RockShox customer service or your nearest dealer / distribution centre.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 16:14 Quote
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Ohhhhh you cut it off. I see. If it were me, I'd probably just try and install the new split ring and see what happened. I don't know how you'd get a new brown ring on there unless it was made of rubber.

Agreed, not sure how they got it on in the first place, unless through some kind of heat shrink?

But it's not a bad idea, only the new split ring is thicker (only by 1mm!) and it's apparently made for a shorter radius (doesn't quite make it all the way around). So, when you go to push the assembly back into the damper it stops. Seems they expanded the radius of the piston head, and decreased the thickness of the ring by the same amount -- smoother/more stable sliding/damping?

Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 0:01 Quote
Did the 200hr kit not come with a new seal head?

https://www.tftuned.com/lyrik-c2-pike-b3-select-ultimate-200hr-1yr-service-kit/p4083

Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 10:12 Quote
I think the best option is to somehow obtain a new part and install it the same way the factory did, which as you alluded seems kind of a mystery given the shapes involved. Wouldn't hurt to give SRAM/RS a call to find out if they can help.

Least bad option is to 3D print a split ring to the needed dimensions. You'd probably want to obtain the inner and outer diameters, and height, of the space that the factory (non-Ultimate) split ring is made to fit, measure the factory split ring, and extrapolate from there to make the correct clearances for an Ultimate split ring.

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2022 at 9:43 Quote
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Did the 200hr kit not come with a new seal head?

https://www.tftuned.com/lyrik-c2-pike-b3-select-ultimate-200hr-1yr-service-kit/p4083

It does, but the broken part is on the piston head which is solid on the rebound/piston shaft (at least as far as I can tell, or am willing to try prying).

barp wrote:
I think the best option is to somehow obtain a new part and install it the same way the factory did, which as you alluded seems kind of a mystery given the shapes involved. Wouldn't hurt to give SRAM/RS a call to find out if they can help.

I agree, this sounds like the best option. Curious if you (or anyone) has had success calling SRAM, most of what I see on the website says go through the dealer.

barp wrote:
Least bad option is to 3D print a split ring to the needed dimensions. You'd probably want to obtain the inner and outer diameters, and height, of the space that the factory (non-Ultimate) split ring is made to fit, measure the factory split ring, and extrapolate from there to make the correct clearances for an Ultimate split ring.

Alright, so I'm testing this now -- printed a split ring and installed it. Had to sand it down w/varying grit sand paper to remove the print lines. But the ring felt solid on the piston head. The damper travel still felt smooth, and went through the bleed test fine. I was able to set sag etc okay as well once reassembled. The only potential issue I can think to watch for is if it creates any stickiness or less-smooth damping. I'm going to take it for a ride in the coming days and will let you know how it rides.

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2022 at 11:18 Quote
Found this article informative which shows and explains the differences with the 2020 charger 2.1 damper pretty well.

Also, an update, found an LBS (Butter Suspension), says Boxxer damper piston should be identical (just a longer rebound shaft), so going to take a look there and see if we can swap the pistons. He mentioned one of the reasons rockshox went to the solid glide ring over the split is what he called "blowback" which is where oil will bypass the dampening within the piston and go through the split portion of the ring. The article I linked above mentions this as well, though its an artifact during higher speeds / more aggressive riding.

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2022 at 11:55 Quote
I think worst case you send the fork into a RS service centre and they will repair it. You can't have been the first to make this boner move Smile

Posted: Dec 20, 2022 at 8:52 Quote
So....did you fix it?

Posted: Dec 24, 2022 at 23:36 Quote
If you can't get the glide ring / wear band separately, you should ask rockshox for a replacement rebound piston. It should come with the new band installed.
Or look into some of the aftermarket 'upgrade' kits that replace both compression and rebound pistons.

RS should be able to supply you with just the ring though. They are a wear item after all.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014377
Mobile Version of Website