New shock oil leak

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
New shock oil leak
Previous Page | Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 15:39 Quote
First ride on a new TopFuel and the shock (Rockshox Delux Ultimate) has oil pooling on the O-Ring, but also around the seal near the air can.

I did move the o-ring up several times to see how much travel was being used to dial in the setup, saw this maybe halfway through the ride.

Problem? Or ride it again and see what happens?

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 16:45 Quote
When you say pool, are we talking about a minimal amount? If so, it's normal from my experience for the shock to "sweat". It's usually more noticeable when the shock is mounted vertically like it is on your Trek. When it stops sweating, it's time for a service.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 18:40 Quote
zeeino wrote:
When you say pool, are we talking about a minimal amount? If so, it's normal from my experience for the shock to "sweat". It's usually more noticeable when the shock is mounted vertically like it is on your Trek. When it stops sweating, it's time for a service.

https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb23804249/p4pb23804249.jpg

More than a minimal amount in my eyes, and not just the wet look I’ve experienced on other bikes. However, all but one of my previous bikes have been used, and all that have had air shocks were more horizontal. But even after a rebuild I’ve never seen this much oil on any of them. Other than when I completely blew up a shock, and then it was much more..

This is after just one ten mile ride, suspension was properly set for my weight etc. based on Treks recommended starting points.

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 19:27 Quote
I think that the amount of oil leaking could be considered normal for a new bike when the shock is still full, but keep an eye on it to make sure that it isn't getting worse. You can also mention it the shop where you bought it to see what they say.

You got yourself a nice bike!!

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 21:16 Quote
Appreciate the feedback Zeeino! I’ll get it out again on Monday and see how it looks. Thanks!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009979
Mobile Version of Website