A highly under-appreciated service product

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
A highly under-appreciated service product
Previous Page |
Posted: Dec 3, 2022 at 14:29 Quote
Title says it all and what I'm referring to is Finish-Line Max Suspension Spray (or any similar product). I've been riding FS bikes for a long time, and as a long-time industry employee to boot I cannot overstate how kick ass this product is. One can lasts 3 years+ and has had a massive impact on the performance/service intervals of all suspension interfaces (fork, shock, dropper). Just do 2 or 3 quick spritzes (less is more) on both sides of each stanchion and use a shop rag to get an even coat and pull off all excess product (again less is definitely more). Not only does it keep your seals mint, it also pulls off any residual water marks/debris that are left on the stanchions even after a clean and makes it harder for new foreign matter to stick to the stanchions on your next ride. I've been using this spray for 3 years and have noticed a huge difference in the color of my old suspension oil while servicing, and there is much less of a decrease in performance between services. I've also never contaminated any brake surfaces while using it, although I do take care not to spray it recklessly and hold a paper towel over the rotor when applying to the non drive fork stanchion.

Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 9:58 Quote
Thanks for the tip. I'll put a can in our next QBP order.

Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 10:44 Quote
a group of us have tried "suspension sprays" ALL of our seals etc ended up ruined earlier than normal. Forks were always coverd in dirt/dust.
We also tried on droppers, same results.

now we have a joke called "maybe if your a roadie it works"

Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 22:43 Quote
Sooo, it's just silicone spray, but costs 10 times the normal price? Ok.

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 6:58 Quote
What about this WPL product instead?

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 8:53 Quote
TimMog wrote:
Sooo, it's just silicone spray, but costs 10 times the normal price? Ok.
Nah its actually a heptane based distillate which is why I think it works better than silicone spray. Silicone spray is garbage and dont recommend using it on any moving parts tbh. Also we sell these cans for 12$, so youre saying you can find silicon spray bottles for 1.20$?

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 8:55 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
What about this WPL product instead?
I wouldnt recommend that only because it's harder to get a light coat when not using an aerosol based application. Like i said less is more in this case, I use a rag to get as much excess off as possible.

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 9:06 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
a group of us have tried "suspension sprays" ALL of our seals etc ended up ruined earlier than normal. Forks were always coverd in dirt/dust.
We also tried on droppers, same results.

now we have a joke called "maybe if your a roadie it works"

Honestly I've had the exact same experience working on customer's bikes, especially when using silicone based sprays. This uses a heptane distillate as a base and the difference in the viscosity/texture is apparent immediately. I know I keep saying this, but less is definitely more when I use this stuff. I pull off as much excess as possible with a new shop rag (the lint-free disposable ones you can find in hardware stores), you just want an extremely thin layer on the stanchions. I also find that a lot of people dont wipe the seals after using silicone spray, so there's essentially a puddle of debris-catching material covering the fork seals. Again silicone sprays are garbage and would stay away from them if you're looking to help your suspension. I've been using this spray on my mtbs for years and never had an issue with seals breaking down. Back when I had one bike to do it all I'd go a full season ridding both enduro and DH (at least 150-175 hours which is past the recommended service intervals) and seals showed no signs of early failure whatsoever.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 23:35 Quote
dirtwaves wrote:
Also we sell these cans for 12$, so youre saying you can find silicon spray bottles for 1.20$?

Yep, my local supermarket regularly sells cans for £1.50. I'm incredibly dubious of anything claiming to be bike specific, it's just marked up with marketing spiel and generally you can find the same product elsewhere for much less

Posted: Jan 14, 2023 at 18:06 Quote
TimMog wrote:
dirtwaves wrote:
Also we sell these cans for 12$, so youre saying you can find silicon spray bottles for 1.20$?

Yep, my local supermarket regularly sells cans for £1.50. I'm incredibly dubious of anything claiming to be bike specific, it's just marked up with marketing spiel and generally you can find the same product elsewhere for much less

Very true, not disagreeing with that whatsoever lol. This isn't silicone though and I cant find anything with similar chemical composition at least locally!

Posted: Jan 15, 2023 at 1:55 Quote
It's funny, but I Googled "motorbike suspension spray lubricant" and could not find a single product, it was all just mountain bike stuff. That seems odd that if stuff like this works so well, that motorbike owners don't use it, discuss it on forums, and buy it for £12 a can.

It's almost like they know that forks are lubricated from the inside with bath oil, and that if your wiper seals are doing their job correctly, anything you spray on a stanchion would be immediately wiped off anyway...

Weird.

Posted: Jan 15, 2023 at 2:15 Quote
No fork or seals needs any treatment except afterride wiping with a clean rag. If a fork or shock is ok, it lubricates itself with the oil splashing inside lowers. In case olif suspension feels better after spraying or something, it means that something is wrong and it's time fo service. Just follow suspension service intervals recomendations and shorten them if fork or shock runs frequently and/or in heavy conditions

Posted: Jan 15, 2023 at 11:04 Quote
TimMog wrote:
It's funny, but I Googled "motorbike suspension spray lubricant" and could not find a single product, it was all just mountain bike stuff. That seems odd that if stuff like this works so well, that motorbike owners don't use it, discuss it on forums, and buy it for £12 a can.

It's almost like they know that forks are lubricated from the inside with bath oil, and that if your wiper seals are doing their job correctly, anything you spray on a stanchion would be immediately wiped off anyway...

Weird.
Wow thats crazy! I found maxima mx spray immediately upon searching MX suspension spray on google and is used exactly how I said to! If you read my initial post I'm not saying that this spray lubricates the stanchions in any way but it IS great at cleaning/ resetting the stanchions and seals after a ride. Its not a replacement for service intervals, I've just found I tend to see less discoloration in used oil when I am doing the services.

Posted: Jan 15, 2023 at 13:49 Quote
dirtwaves wrote:
Blah blah blah. Like i said less is more in this case,blah blah blah some words or sentences.
That's what she said

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013905
Mobile Version of Website