I9 24 spoke Trail 270 wheels rubbing frame on SB130

PB Forum :: Yeti
I9 24 spoke Trail 270 wheels rubbing frame on SB130
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 14:33 Quote
I recently purchased a set of I9 24-spoke Trail 270 wheels and mounted them to the stock tires for the 21 T2 SB130.

I purchased them from Backcountry.com. I spoke with one of the gear techs and he assured me these wheels would be good to go for the type of riding I do. Mostly blue and black trail rides in CO. my initial thought was a lighter wheel set that can handle most trail riding. Sweet.

Since the wheel swap, I've done two rides in Front Range CO. Any time I had big compression in the rear I could feel something rubbing. At the end of my ride, I noticed the tire was rubbing against the Frame.

I took the bike to my local mechanic and he checked for spoke tension and alignment and everything checked out.

On the second ride, the same thing kept happening and now I'm at a loss. I don't want to damage the frame any worse than it already is and after speaking directly with I9. They said the trail wheels are intended for XC only and they would have recommended the enduro 305s and to call backcountry. Going through the warranty claim process with Backcountry now.

I'm posting this to see if anyone else has had similar issues and if they found a resolution without having to buy new wheels.

Thanks,

Richie

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 16:29 Quote
Where on the frame is the tire rubbing? Photos might help.

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 19:01 Quote
barp wrote:
Where on the frame is the tire rubbing? Photos might help.

Here are some photos.

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 19:52 Quote
You or the LBS should check the dishing of the wheel on the bike not just off the bike. From one picture that I see it looks off, but that could be your camera angle. 2, is the hub the right size? 148? Also 2.4 tire? Even 2.6 is cutting it close on a Yeti. 3, End caps I9 has different end caps for Shimano and Sram free hubs or is one missing.

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 21:59 Quote
Yeah, sure looks like it's a dish issue.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 7:03 Quote
How wide are the rims? Narrow(XC) rims can force the tire to balloon out a bit and cause rubbing.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 9:35 Quote
This is the exact wheel

Industry Nine Hydra Trail 270 29in Boost Wheelset - Black/Turquoise, 24h,15x110/12x148, XD, 6-bolt

The rear tire is the stock Maxxis Aggressor, EXO, 29" x 2.3"

Is the ballooning issue something that can be remedied with a tire change?

Thanks again

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 9:43 Quote
Yes, a narrower tire should help.

Posted: Dec 16, 2022 at 4:56 Quote
I run this exact same tire on a 25mm ID wheel (Roval Control SL). I just went out to my garage and measured the tire width, inflated to about 25 PSI, and it was slightly less than 2.3 inches, so no ballooning in my case. This is not a problem for me as my bike (Specialized SJ) came equipped with either 27.5x3 inch or 29x2.3 inch wheel/tire setup, so there is plenty of room (width).

If you don't mind, could you measure the clearance/width on the chainstay where it is rubbing? Yeti mounts 2.4 inch tires on the SB130 for its "Lunch Ride" versions, which to my knowledge use the same rear triangle, so I find it hard to believe that a 2.3 inch tire is rubbing

My vote is also that the wheel dish is off.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016701
Mobile Version of Website