Best coil shock options 2023

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best coil shock options 2023
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 19:50 Quote
I've had 11.6s on 3 different bikes. Just got an EXT Storia. Best shock I've ever ridden hands down. In my opinion the EXT is the better shock.

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 1:00 Quote
chrisclifford wrote:
I've had 11.6s on 3 different bikes. Just got an EXT Storia. Best shock I've ever ridden hands down. In my opinion the EXT is the better shock.

What do you prefer about the EXT...I have heard the 11.6 offers more of a magic carpet feel whilst the EXT offers a more damped feel, maybe a bit more poppy with more trail feedback. Is this the 11.6R or original 11.6 and which model of EXT?

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 10:08 Quote
Have you considered Ohlins? I had a brand new Fox DHX2 blow in less than 10 rides last year, replaced it with an Ohlins TTX22m.2 and will never go back to a Fox rear shock. Performance and quality is superb.

On paper there are less adjustments available, but I feel like it is actually a benefit. Each setting click allows for a noticeable change. Makes adjustments meaningful and easy on rides, even if you want to adjust based on the specific trail.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 10:38 Quote
Honestly all those boutique expensive coils are no better than the new Rockshox 2023 offering with the HBO. For the price point and the adjustability, I don't think there's really any other reasonable option out there. The 2023 Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil should be the only one on the list IMO.

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 11:49 Quote
hukriede wrote:
Honestly all those boutique expensive coils are no better than the new Rockshox 2023 offering with the HBO. For the price point and the adjustability, I don't think there's really any other reasonable option out there. The 2023 Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil should be the only one on the list IMO.

Have you ridden them all?

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 11:53 Quote
TimMog wrote:
hukriede wrote:

Have you ridden them all?

Yup, every single coil on the market.

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 11:58 Quote
Ok. Can a mod pin this then please?

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 12:10 Quote
I would either go for the new RS deluxe with HBO or the EXT if you can afford it.

Had an 11/6 which was brilliant but I bought a new bike and the reason I bought the 11/6 was on because it’s sold on the you can take it to your next bike and have it reconfigured. I spoke to the UK service Center to ask about moving it to my new bike and was quoted £600! I wasn’t expecting it to be free but I was a little surprised to find it would be half the price of the shock again.

Since sold it on to a friend who loves it and I’ve bought an EXT which is probably a bit better based on 2 things for me. 1 it’s much lighter and 2 the HBO is fantastic. Which is why I would say if you are on a budget give the RS a go. It’s a little weighty compared with the EXT but I think the adjustable HBO will be worth the penalty.

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 13:00 Quote
+1 for the Ohlins.

In the last few years between 2 ripmos and a sentinel I've run the Jade-X, Elevensix, and TTX 22M and they were all good shocks. If I had to choose, I liked the Ohlins the best due to the looks, sound, simple but effective adjustments, and it got high marks from a trusted shop on damper quality and reliability. Zero issues without a HBO but I had a cascade link which helped with late stroke ramp up.

Push has good but expensive service, and you can't always retrofit any Push shock to any new frame. FWIW it cost me around $400 american pesos for a retune and rebuild w/ new hardware to fit one to a different frame. Lots of adjustability, quiet, HBO.

DVO has awesome service and affordable custom tuning, but no HSC adjust (Jade-X). A custom tune could offset the lack of adjustments though. Also plushAF and affordable, frequently on the buy/sell.

Ohlins tuners/servicers are few and far between and also not inexpensive. But I liked that shock the best. Loved the squishy sound over the silent Elevensix and the tactile feel of the adjustments just turns me on. Super easy to set up and adjust on the fly.

In terms of actual performance, I think many coil shocks are very close. The new super deluxe coil looks amazing and for the price may be the smartest coil on the market, as it has both HSC and HBO, 2 very nice features for a coil. I may pick one up.

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 13:17 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
chrisclifford wrote:

What do you prefer about the EXT...I have heard the 11.6 offers more of a magic carpet feel whilst the EXT offers a more damped feel, maybe a bit more poppy with more trail feedback. Is this the 11.6R or original 11.6 and which model of EXT?

I think the EXT is poppier (for lack of a better word) while still being every bit as compliant as the 11.6. The Storia doesn't seem to make any performance compromises to the 11.6.. The last PUSH I had was a 2018 model so I haven't ridden their most recent stuff. Both shocks are incredible. Veneto is cooler than Colorado if you need a tiebreaker.

Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 9:59 Quote
Does anyone know whether the new Super Deluxe Coil is compatible with a yoke extension frame like my Stumpjumper Evo?

Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 12:55 Quote
chrisclifford wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
chrisclifford wrote:

I think the EXT is poppier (for lack of a better word) while still being every bit as compliant as the 11.6. The Storia doesn't seem to make any performance compromises to the 11.6.. The last PUSH I had was a 2018 model so I haven't ridden their most recent stuff. Both shocks are incredible. Veneto is cooler than Colorado if you need a tiebreaker.

Well to be fair I don't think it all the shock itself that makes the difference here but also the tune..I went from the 11.6SS similar to what you had to the new 11.6R cos I wasn't happy with the performance of the previous shock...Darren created a completely custom tune specifically for based on what I told him I didn't like about the previous shock and I have to say it is night and day better...feels like a completely different shock with the same spring rate and I'm sure the same applies to may other shocks. It really is worth knowing thoroughly what you want out of the shock and understanding how it behaves on the trail, then talking to tuner to give it a custom tune for you because it can make a massive difference. Meanwhile I am also running the FAST SC4 damper in my fork and that thing impressed me straight away, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a FAST Fenix shock...and if again I wasn't by chance too keen on the damping characteristics I'm sure I could get it returned too.

FL
Posted: Jan 28, 2023 at 5:20 Quote
I am very happy with both my Cane Creek coil shocks.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 28, 2023 at 17:49 Quote
Really like my Bomber CR tuned by Craig at Avalanche

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009999
Mobile Version of Website