2023 Transition Smuggler... is it real?

PB Forum :: Transition
2023 Transition Smuggler... is it real?
Posted: Feb 22, 2023 at 9:38 Quote
The Spesh dealer that I bought my (still pristine) Stumpjumper Evo from is also a TR dealer, I'm gonna be talking to them about a trade in deal... I really hope the lower stack height isn't a deal breaker for me. I'm 6'8" and run a set of 40mm riser Renthals on my S6 Evo...

Posted: Feb 22, 2023 at 14:16 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
The Spesh dealer that I bought my (still pristine) Stumpjumper Evo from is also a TR dealer, I'm gonna be talking to them about a trade in deal... I really hope the lower stack height isn't a deal breaker for me. I'm 6'8" and run a set of 40mm riser Renthals on my S6 Evo...

Are you accounting for the shorter fork height (140 vs 160) when comparing stack #'s?

Posted: Feb 23, 2023 at 6:00 Quote
Squirrel-155 wrote:
Pdrenth wrote:

Are you accounting for the shorter fork height (140 vs 160) when comparing stack #'s?

I'm just looking at the Geo chart on the TR website... Not sure what the fork travel has to do with it. I mean, sure, I understand that I could raise the stack height by over-forking, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Posted: Feb 23, 2023 at 9:31 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
Squirrel-155 wrote:
Pdrenth wrote:

I'm just looking at the Geo chart on the TR website... Not sure what the fork travel has to do with it. I mean, sure, I understand that I could raise the stack height by over-forking, but that's not what I'm talking about.

You're right. I was thinking of stack #'s being from ground. Realized that I had things mixed up. Yea the stack is relatively low on these. Hmmm. I was really liking this new Smuggler as well, but find that the stack on my SJ Evo is too low as well.

Kind of wonder if running the Smuggler over forked w/ 150 and 140 in the rear (shock spacer removed) would be the hot setup.

Posted: Feb 23, 2023 at 9:41 Quote
[Quote="

Kind of wonder if running the Smuggler over forked w/ 150 and 140 in the rear (shock spacer removed) would be the hot setup.[/Quote]

I suspect this will be the Super Smuggler setup. And will probably be popular.

O+
Posted: Feb 23, 2023 at 10:08 Quote
mjscyclery wrote:

This is how I'm running mine out of the box, with a Super Deluxe and a 150mm Lyrik.

Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 5:16 Quote
mjscyclery wrote:
[Quote="

Kind of wonder if running the Smuggler over forked w/ 150 and 140 in the rear (shock spacer removed) would be the hot setup.

I suspect this will be the Super Smuggler setup. And will probably be popular.[/Quote]

cough cough "Lunch Ride" Smuggler. (that's how I ran my SB130)

Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 5:17 Quote
f*ckingsteve wrote:
mjscyclery wrote:

This is how I'm running mine out of the box, with a Super Deluxe and a 150mm Lyrik.

Removing the spacer works on 29" wheels? I thought that was for 27.5...

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 7:57 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
f*ckingsteve wrote:
mjscyclery wrote:

How do you mean?

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 10:51 Quote
mjscyclery wrote:
Built my XL Orchid up with all the bits from my Banshee Phantom, which I absolutely love. I've been waiting for the Smuggler for a few years and I hope it lives up.

31 lbs 4 oz with pedals for an XL is pretty decent.

Carbon Smuggler XL
Carbon Smuggler XL

Can you compare against Phantom? Spur was too long in XL when seated for me but smuggler geo seems to be perfect and in line with a phantom

Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 12:16 Quote
I went to an XL with the Smug (my Phantom was a Large) so the reach is a lot longer. I lost some of the playfulness but in every other aspect it's great. I'll play around with the fork settings to see if I can get a little more front end feel back.

Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 12:55 Quote
f*ckingsteve wrote:
Pdrenth wrote:
f*ckingsteve wrote:

How do you mean?

It was a question, followed by a clarification of my understanding... Just like the SB130 frame was a 140 travel when fitted with 27.5 wheels, I thought the same was true with the Smuggler.

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 13:27 Quote
Nope. You can either remove the travel spacer or fit a longer travel shock (210x55 vs 210x50) to get the extra travel.

Posted: Mar 20, 2023 at 12:33 Quote
With some more time on the bike I can solidly state that this bike rides more like a Sentinel than a Spur. It definitely climbs better than the Sentinel but not worlds better. Overall it's a fun poppy playful bike. I am glad I waited. I am 6-1 and opted for an XL though I think the L would be more playful.

I may bump travel to 140 to see how if changes the ride. The Helm is easy to work with so I may bump it to 150 and see how 150/140 feels.

Posted: Apr 17, 2023 at 16:57 Quote
photo

All Country Smuggler in progress

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021727
Mobile Version of Website