Looking for a comfortable lightweight efficient bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Looking for a comfortable lightweight efficient bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 11:11 Quote
Im 46 casual rider who likes to ride mellow trails so looking for a lightweight efficient bike that doesn't have you pitched forward too much. I get hand and shoulder pain easily. The bikes I'm looking at are:

Ibis Mojo 4
Ibis Ripley
Santa Cruz Tallboy
Transition Spur
Pivot Shadowcat
The new Stumpjumper
Trek Top Fuel

Current bike is 2019 Stumpjumper Alloy 29, which feels good and balanced but want a lighter bike with lower stand over.
More efficient pedaling platform.

Also I am 5'6''-7" with 30" inseam.

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 2:19 Quote
I’d stick the Epic Evo in that group.

I’d suggest that on a Stumpjumper you’d be somewhat overbiked for the riding that you like to do.

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 9:19 Quote
Thanks but the Epic Evo and other XC type bikes have too high stand over, this one is 779mm for an S2 size. I have a 762mm inseam.

FL
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 9:32 Quote
Leviathandive wrote:
Thanks but the Epic Evo and other XC type bikes have too high stand over, this one is 779mm for an S2 size. I have a 762mm inseam.

Stand over isn’t an important measurement for bike fit. Unless both your feet are on the ground there’s never a time while you’re on a bike ride when you will have your hips over the top tube. I have a 30” inseam at 6’ tall and the only thing I consider when looking at bikes is seatpost length and max seatpost insertion depth. The S2 epic evo has a 400mm seat tube, so you should be able to fit at least a 150-170mm dropper on the epic evo. I’d still be fine riding a S4 with a 470mm seat tube and 793mm stand over.

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 10:27 Quote
TheSlayer99 wrote:
Leviathandive wrote:

Stand over isn’t an important measurement for bike fit. Unless both your feet are on the ground there’s never a time while you’re on a bike ride when you will have your hips over the top tube. I have a 30” inseam at 6’ tall and the only thing I consider when looking at bikes is seatpost length and max seatpost insertion depth. The S2 epic evo has a 400mm seat tube, so you should be able to fit at least a 150-170mm dropper on the epic evo. I’d still be fine riding a S4 with a 470mm seat tube and 793mm stand over.

Those are all important factors but on my current bike I would feel more comfortable with a lower slung top tube just from my experience.

FL
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 15:04 Quote
Leviathandive wrote:
TheSlayer99 wrote:
Leviathandive wrote:

Those are all important factors but on my current bike I would feel more comfortable with a lower slung top tube just from my experience.

For what reason exactly? I’ve ridden everything from 770 stand over to under 700 and the only difference I’ve found is from the seat tube length. From my experience if you need lower stand over you’re doing something seriously wrong.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 15:35 Quote
Standover aside, the more XC-type bikes often have a more leant-forward riding position while a trailbike tends to have a more upright position. Obviously you can adjust things to a degree with stem, spacers, bar rise etc but better to start closer to what you want.

Giant Trance 29 would be a good option to add to the list too, I really enjoyed mine when I had it. Efficient and lots of fun.

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 19:14 Quote
Thanks @Gravelben Ive been looking into Giant bikes too. Especially the Trance Advanced carbon 27.5 and even the alloy Trance 29ers.

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 19:18 Quote
Thanks @TheSlayer99 I will look at seat tube length also in my decision. I just dont like the feeling of straddling the top tube and your feet dont touch the ground and the top tube is up my crotch. Im old school I guess.

Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 4:31 Quote
Leviathandive wrote:
Thanks @TheSlayer99 I will look at seat tube length also in my decision. I just dont like the feeling of straddling the top tube and your feet dont touch the ground and the top tube is up my crotch. Im old school I guess.
yes I get what you mean but it seems like you have some bike technique learning to do Smile maybe before buying such a expensive bike watch some vids for techniques and maybe even get some coaching.

Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 5:35 Quote
The ibis ripley seems to be a good choice: lightweight, very efficient pedaling platform, low standover with plenty seatpost insertion, upright pedaling position.

Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 11:14 Quote
I didn't know this would turn into a standover be damned and I don't know how to ride bikes thread.

Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 11:14 Quote
jurassicrider wrote:
The ibis ripley seems to be a good choice: lightweight, very efficient pedaling platform, low standover with plenty seatpost insertion, upright pedaling position.

Thank you, have you had the chance to ride one?

Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 12:06 Quote
Leviathandive wrote:
I didn't know this would turn into a standover be damned and I don't know how to ride bikes thread.

Did you not realise you’d asked a question on Pinkbike?

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 12:08 Quote
1. head over to 99 spokes.
2. choose all the bikes in your list and compare the geo,
3. find one with a slightly shorter effective top tube length, higher stack and lower BB / more BB Drop.
3.a. this will also help you eliminate the bikes that are longer and lower in reach.
4. test ride the remaining bikes
5. enjoy

also, you may want to consider going back to a 275. they typically have a bit lower standover.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010375
Mobile Version of Website