Shimano Brake Pads. Help please

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Shimano Brake Pads. Help please
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 7:50 Quote
I bought Shimano brakes a couple years back for my Kona. They were the XT M8020 4 piston. They came with the finned metallic pads and have the part number H03C on them.

My new ebike came with XT 4 piston brakes and I would like to buy new pads for them. I am also putting the Galfer 223mm rotors on it as the extra weight of both the bike and my fat ass could use a little more stopping power.

The spec sheet calls the brakes on the new bike XT Trail 4 piston. I would like to get the same style with the finned pads as any help in cooling is a benefit.

Looking on the Shimano website there are different part numbers that say they are compatible with XT so I am wondering what the difference is. It is confusing to say the least. I could just order the same ones I have on my Kona but if there is a better suited pad that is the one I want.

Sorry for the long rant. Thanks for any help you can provide!

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 16:20 Quote
Islandflyer wrote:
I bought Shimano brakes a couple years back for my Kona. They were the XT M8020 4 piston. They came with the finned metallic pads and have the part number H03C on them.

My new ebike came with XT 4 piston brakes and I would like to buy new pads for them. I am also putting the Galfer 223mm rotors on it as the extra weight of both the bike and my fat ass could use a little more stopping power.

The spec sheet calls the brakes on the new bike XT Trail 4 piston. I would like to get the same style with the finned pads as any help in cooling is a benefit.

Looking on the Shimano website there are different part numbers that say they are compatible with XT so I am wondering what the difference is. It is confusing to say the least. I could just order the same ones I have on my Kona but if there is a better suited pad that is the one I want.

Sorry for the long rant. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Which models number were you looking at? I believe the j0 and g0 model numbers are compatible, the J0 is finned g0 not finned.

FL
Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 17:43 Quote
https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/galfer-e-bike-brake-pad-shimano-saint-zee/137149209/p?queryID=a8c449705844471d0b8d5a7f2970befd&buscador_search
These work with all xt 4 pot brakes. Takes a while for shipping pretty sure they use Spanish galleons to get there. These will work great with your rotors. The shimano finnned stuff is good but not twice as good

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 6:41 Quote
Thanks! I will pull one off and take it to my LBS to match it up and see what they have in stock.

I think the ones on my Kona are H03C but not sure. I also read it depends what year the calipers were made. I would think all XT four piston calipers would use the same but not surprised…

Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 22:18 Quote
Islandflyer wrote:
Thanks! I will pull one off and take it to my LBS to match it up and see what they have in stock.

I think the ones on my Kona are H03C but not sure. I also read it depends what year the calipers were made. I would think all XT four piston calipers would use the same but not surprised…

As mentioned all Shimano 4 pot calipers use the same non finned 'D' type pads as linked above.

The M8020 XT's use H03C metallic finned pads but the newer 4 pot calipers (M9120, M8120, M7120) use N04C type metallic finned pads.

Examples:-

https://www.bikeparts.co.uk/products/shimano-deore-xt-br-m8120-xt-4-piston-calliper-post-mount-without-adapters-front-or-rear

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-N04C-Metal-Disc-Pads-And-Spring_205749.htm

It's the older H pad finned section that doesn't fit into the newer shape 4 pot calipers.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 9:43 Quote
Get mtx red pads and thank me later

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009025
Mobile Version of Website