“Pedaling culture” is dumb

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
“Pedaling culture” is dumb
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 6, 2023 at 16:34 Quote
That feeling that leads us to rip on eeb riders or friends who like to shuttle or mostly ride park. What other gravity sport culturally forces you to pretend to like the slow struggle to the top as well as the rip down?

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 5:16 Quote
Mashingmonk wrote:
That feeling that leads us to rip on eeb riders or friends who like to shuttle or mostly ride park. What other gravity sport culturally forces you to pretend to like the slow struggle to the top as well as the rip down?
this is a common complaint amongst overbiked weaklings.

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 5:42 Quote
Isn't every sport a mixture of effort vs. reward? I think that's what bothers people.

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 5:45 Quote
Ive never considered pissing around in the woods on a bike a sport, maybe it becomes a sport when you get paid to do it? Its a hobby.
Regardless why make life harder & more boring than it needs to be. Uplift van, skilift or ebike every time.

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 6:00 Quote
mcozzy wrote:
Ive never considered pissing around in the woods on a bike a sport, maybe it becomes a sport when you get paid to do it? Its a hobby.
Regardless why make life harder & more boring than it needs to be. Uplift van, skilift or ebike every time.

doing something for sport means taking it seriously or competatively
playing a soccer game with some friends, hobby, getting a bit more serious, playing in a club without being paid would count for playing a sport.

some people enjoy a challenge.
roadies literally only do the part you are moaning about
runners only do the part you are moaning about
rock climbers arguably do something much more grueling
weight lifting

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 7:05 Quote
I like both shuttle/chairlift riding as well as big climbs. I do both in healthy doses. If I thought that one is necessarily better than the other, I would be limiting my fun, experience, circle of friends, fitness, and technical skill set.

For the sake of discussion ( and this is not directed at anybody on this thread), pedal culture is generally lame when it is taken so far by riders to the point where it becomes some holier than thought attitude. Riders who artificially fabricate a moral issue out of judging riders who don’t suffer for their descents need to bend over (or get a freind to help) and gently remove that stick that is anchored in their butt.

Sorry for the rant, but I just don’t understand why there are people out there who make an issue out of this. Seems petty.

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 7:14 Quote
I think this goes both ways though. For every non-ebike rider who complains about ebikers, there is an ebiker who likes to "mock" people for bothering to pedal.

Ride what you want. Don't be a dick about it.

Except for e-motos.....they can f*ck off.

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 7:27 Quote
MT36 wrote:
I like both shuttle/chairlift riding as well as big climbs. I do both in healthy doses. If I thought that one is necessarily better than the other, I would be limiting my fun, experience, circle of friends, fitness, and technical skill set.

For the sake of discussion ( and this is not directed at anybody on this thread), pedal culture is generally lame when it is taken so far by riders to the point where it becomes some holier than thought attitude. Riders who artificially fabricate a moral issue out of judging riders who don’t suffer for their descents need to bend over (or get a freind to help) and gently remove that stick that is anchored in their butt.

Sorry for the rant, but I just don’t understand why there are people out there who make an issue out of this. Seems petty.

This is exactly where I was going with this post. “Pedaling culture” not pedaling. Look at the second reply on this thread. I pedal a lot and enjoy pedaling. I don’t enjoy that there is such a judgemental divide in mtb culture

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 7:38 Quote
[Quote="Mashingmonk"]
MT36 wrote:

This is exactly where I was going with this post. “Pedaling culture” not pedaling. Look at the second reply on this thread. I pedal a lot and enjoy pedaling. I don’t enjoy that there is such a judgemental divide in mtb culture

Same. The judgement and divide really bothers me. At the end of the day this world just needs as many people getting outside and having fun as possible.

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 16:47 Quote
95% of my rides are pedal accessed... hit the bike park a few times a year and Prevost maybe once or twice a year.

Mountain biking is what allows me to stay out of the gym... the climbing and pedaling is what keeps the bulge at bay... so I'll always ensure I do a lot of pedaling. It's one of the great things about mountain biking, it's so fun I don't even realize I'm working out!

But, f*ck if shuttling isn't super fun good happy times! Used to shuttle Seymour weekly back in '07 - '08 (Sorry Ryan for locking my keys in my car that one time, even though you double checked and asked me if I had them when I didn't... that sucked). Definitely no hate towards those that have the opportunity to shuttle. If I had easy access, I'd probably do it more... but at the same time... gotta keep that damn bulge at bay and those days that we do shuttle Prevost... we bring a posse, a BBQ, comfy chairs, tents, many coolers, lots of meat and lots of beer... I definitely gain weight on those shuttle days, haha!

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 17:45 Quote
Is this an American thing? Can't say I've noticed that attitude much at all here in NZ.

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 23:02 Quote
Descending culture is dumb. I pedal my bike all the way to the top and carry it on the descent .

FL
Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 0:00 Quote
cycling is dumb, go zwift........

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 1:18 Quote
jurassicrider wrote:
Descending culture is dumb. I pedal my bike all the way to the top and carry it on the descent .

Pedalling is dumb, full stop. I carry my bike up AND down.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009018
Mobile Version of Website