“Pedaling culture” is dumb

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
“Pedaling culture” is dumb
Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 7:10 Quote
mockit wrote:
MT36 wrote:

At the end of the day this world just needs as many people getting outside and having fun as possible.

This is part of the issue for me personally… more people is not a good thing. Obviously it depends on where, but the reason why I have some issues with shuttling remote areas or e-bikes in remote areas is the increased access and associated problems. I have no qualms with sharing trails but being able to ride up is a gatekeeper and prevents the masses from tearing trails up deeper into the wilderness. At bike parks or heavily utilized and maintained areas who gives AF. I see lots of e-bikes around the Tahoe rim trail area though and that is a no go for me. If you can’t climb in the back country without a motor then maybe you shouldn’t be there.

I can appreciate that. I live in the stix so on backcountry trails here it is a novelty when I see other riders on the trails. I know Tahoe is a different situation for sure.

At the same time, I work in a high risk healthcare specialty, and the overwhelming majority of pain and suffering I see daily is due to crappy lifestyle factors cemented over the course of years and decades. If more in our country were out enjoying nature and exercising, we would live in a much healthier culture, mentally and physically.

I don’t think it is fair for experienced or skilled mountain bikers to gatekeep and say who can and should be out riding. This planet needs people connecting with nature and themselves.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 12:49 Quote
MT36 wrote:
mockit wrote:
MT36 wrote:

At the end of the day this world just needs as many people getting outside and having fun as possible.

This is part of the issue for me personally… more people is not a good thing. Obviously it depends on where, but the reason why I have some issues with shuttling remote areas or e-bikes in remote areas is the increased access and associated problems. I have no qualms with sharing trails but being able to ride up is a gatekeeper and prevents the masses from tearing trails up deeper into the wilderness. At bike parks or heavily utilized and maintained areas who gives AF. I see lots of e-bikes around the Tahoe rim trail area though and that is a no go for me. If you can’t climb in the back country without a motor then maybe you shouldn’t be there.

I can appreciate that. I live in the stix so on backcountry trails here it is a novelty when I see other riders on the trails. I know Tahoe is a different situation for sure.

At the same time, I work in a high risk healthcare specialty, and the overwhelming majority of pain and suffering I see daily is due to crappy lifestyle factors cemented over the course of years and decades. If more in our country were out enjoying nature and exercising, we would live in a much healthier culture, mentally and physically.

I don’t think it is fair for experienced or skilled mountain bikers to gatekeep and say who can and should be out riding. This planet needs people connecting with nature and themselves.

Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 19:15 Quote
Fwiw I am not one of those fit people. My fitness has gone downhill pretty severely over the past 5 years and I would be a prime candidate for an e-bike. Like I said I really don’t have qualms with shuttling or e-bikes in mtb frequented areas. My experience in Tahoe is actually from being a backpacker on the Tahoe Rim and running into eMTBs in places where they shouldn’t have been. I don’t want to sound like an elitist douche… I am all for growing the sport but I do think we need to be a bit mindful about where people are going and how many of them there are. What is better in your mind… having a reservation or a permit to ride on a certain day/time or making it so motorized bikes can’t be in certain spots? It’s not the case right now but it might be. Look at national parks and ski resorts. There are a lot of people and yes… eventually you do have to restrict access.

Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 20:33 Quote
Honestly can’t relate to this sentiment at all. Prob more of an age thing or maybe too much internet thing. Do people who enjoy the climb intimidate you? Might be in your head.

If anything its a divisive culture and you’re contributing to it in your title. I like the climb. why am I dumb for that?

Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 22:34 Quote
Mashingmonk wrote:
That feeling that leads us to rip on eeb riders or friends who like to shuttle or mostly ride park. What other gravity sport culturally forces you to pretend to like the slow struggle to the top as well as the rip down?

why is it a struggle when you enjoy the climbing and obstacles associated with it?

I seek out trails with good technical climbs because I enjoy them just as much as the ride down.

FL
Posted: Feb 17, 2023 at 5:33 Quote
What's bad with enjoying going up? It's like claiming hiking is bad...

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2023 at 23:07 Quote
spaced wrote:

Rock climbing Is bad too....

FL
Posted: Feb 20, 2023 at 9:30 Quote
I absoultely can not relate.

For many of us, what you call "pedaling culture" is about self-improvement, overcoming obstacles and pushing your limits. It's a mindeset. If you don't get that or if it's not for you for other reasons, that's totally ok. No one is forcing you to take part. But let people enjoy what they like.

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 18:24 Quote
englertracing wrote:
spaced wrote:

I think this is the one thing we can all get behind

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 22:00 Quote
huvudvind wrote:
englertracing wrote:
spaced wrote:

I think this is the one thing we can all get behind

No.

Pain = pleasure
Its a good time

FL
Posted: Jun 10, 2023 at 16:52 Quote
englertracing wrote:
spaced wrote:

Yeah some people also claim female orgasm doesn't exist

Posted: Jun 13, 2023 at 15:52 Quote
i guess we all need to migrate to the pump track with fixed cranks or trials riding, because pedaling culture has made pedaling off limits.

And I'm just going to weld my SS cranks to the frame to solve my addiction.

FL
Posted: Jun 13, 2023 at 20:55 Quote
Sounds like a lot of hassle.. just take the chain off..

Posted: Jun 24, 2023 at 15:58 Quote
the real correct answer is just getting outside and having fun. walk, run, swim, crawl, ebike, uphill, downhill… whatever gets you out and having fun.

oh yeah this is the internet… only wimps use shuttles and ebikes.

Posted: Jun 27, 2023 at 10:19 Quote
Too many people have fragile egos and can't handle being beaten by anyone at any time by any means.

That's really dumb.

I pedal up because, at nearly 50, I have to pedal up in order to stay fit enough to keep riding they way I want to ride. I don't care if someone else wants to get some help up the hill because that doesn't affect me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021359
Mobile Version of Website