Fox X2 Needs to be recalled.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Fox X2 Needs to be recalled.
Posted: May 19, 2023 at 0:22 Quote
FrizzleFlicks wrote:
Just sent in a Performance & got a 2024 Factory back. Cool

Glad they took care of your shock brother!

O+
Posted: May 19, 2023 at 10:58 Quote
scottyrides5 wrote:
FrizzleFlicks wrote:
Just sent in a Performance & got a 2024 Factory back. Cool

Glad they took care of your shock brother!

For sure, Thanks man! Hat tip to Fox for the incredible customer service they've been dishing out to the riders.

O+
Posted: May 22, 2023 at 8:18 Quote
I have a gurgling 2020 X2 (non trunion) that I was planning to rebuild myself. I was just about to purchase shaft clamps and seal head wrench.

https://youtu.be/Y2j44dZ_JaY In this video the tech says “this ring helps with aeration”

I’ve been trying to figure out if the fox service kits include upgraded parts or if upgrades are available, assuming that’s my only option as the shock is obviously beyond the 1 year warranty.

Are these shocks that are getting replaced mostly the 2021+?

I’m not sure what to do, losing 2-4 weeks of prime season is not an easy decision. Are there any details on why the 2024 are better?

I would love to find a version history that detailed all the changes and problems

Posted: May 22, 2023 at 11:08 Quote
What sort of turn around time did they have after you all sent in your shocks?

Posted: May 22, 2023 at 13:14 Quote
waren wrote:
I have a gurgling 2020 X2 (non trunion) that I was planning to rebuild myself. I was just about to purchase shaft clamps and seal head wrench.

https://youtu.be/Y2j44dZ_JaY In this video the tech says “this ring helps with aeration”

I’ve been trying to figure out if the fox service kits include upgraded parts or if upgrades are available, assuming that’s my only option as the shock is obviously beyond the 1 year warranty.

I’m not sure what to do, losing 2-4 weeks of prime season is not an easy decision. Are there any details on why the 2024 are better?

I would love to find a version history that detailed all the changes and problems

2020 MY shocks are not covered by this particular campaign. The latest version X2 is the ones being replaced.

Posted: May 22, 2023 at 13:14 Quote
MRED-mtb wrote:
What sort of turn around time did they have after you all sent in your shocks?

2-3 weeks has been the norm for the last 3 shocks we sent in.

O+
Posted: May 22, 2023 at 15:23 Quote
waren wrote:

I rebuilt a 2020 recently. You’re best shot at getting current seals (if they have updated ones) would be buying from Fox directly, although I bet any updates were years ago at this point. I remember there was one seal that was white instead of black rubber I was taking out. They answer the phone and you just need minimum of $50 order as I recall, which you could easily hit with the seals kit and a fluid or two. The 5wt oil in the x2 is NOT the same as the 5wt “ptfe infused” for fox forks (I made that mistake, it’s way higher viscosity and makes the shock feel locked out).

My main tip based on my one rebuild is to have a Big Ass Vice for clamping the shaft hard enough. Even with the correct aluminum clamps for the shaft, I messed one up using too weak of a vise and blemished the surface in a way you can feel sliding through seals. Now I have a massive $150 vise, and not only is it great for shocks but you’ll be surprised how often you use it for random stuff.

Posted: May 22, 2023 at 16:06 Quote
Mine was squelching right out of the box on my new Sentinel. Started the process online yesterday, sent it out today and spoke to someone at Fox who said they’d be sending me a ‘24 next week when they get more stock (I’m east coast US). He listed off the improvements they made in the ‘24. I don’t remember exactly what they were but it was basically what’s shown as “new” on the X2 page at ridefox.com.

So hopefully the improvements turn this thing into a reliable piece. I’m not holding my breath but credit to Fox for being so responsive. Now I’d like to ride my new bicycle please.

O+
Posted: May 22, 2023 at 20:57 Quote
They are now using two buna shore 70 orings for the shaft seal instead of one polyeurethane shore 90 orings.
Poly has good tear resistance, wich shouldn't be needed, the con of poly is compression set. Dual buna 70 should do it.

O+
Posted: May 23, 2023 at 7:46 Quote
Thanks for the info.

In the video l linked above (~2020) the tech removes a black oring and installs a white one. I assume poly. Sounds like fox then changed again to buna.

Marring the shaft is definitely a concern. I was going to buy non fox shaft clamps and a bunch of other suspension service stuff I’ve been living without (all machined in North America) from but now I’m thinking I’ll stick with the fox stuff for shafts.

This thread has a brief discussion on shocks performing better in certain frame designs (side loading, trunion etc.). And on the last page someone sent in a 2020 and got a 2024 back. But maybe because had sent in previously.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/x2-is-dead-picking-the-right-tune-on-a-new-air-shock.1216344/page-3

I am going to do a diy service and try some fresh oil and seals.

O+
Posted: May 24, 2023 at 21:01 Quote
My x2 might have cavitated now.

Today was the 5 or 6th ride since it was rebuilt. Mind you, half of these rides were pretty tame and shortish.

It started to make a bit of a squish sound when compressing. Will take it out one or two more times and see how it is. Otherwise... It's going back to fox.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2023 at 9:03 Quote
waren wrote:
Thanks for the info.

In the video l linked above (~2020) the tech removes a black oring and installs a white one. I assume poly. Sounds like fox then changed again to buna.

Marring the shaft is definitely a concern. I was going to buy non fox shaft clamps and a bunch of other suspension service stuff I’ve been living without (all machined in North America) from but now I’m thinking I’ll stick with the fox stuff for shafts.

This thread has a brief discussion on shocks performing better in certain frame designs (side loading, trunion etc.). And on the last page someone sent in a 2020 and got a 2024 back. But maybe because had sent in previously.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/x2-is-dead-picking-the-right-tune-on-a-new-air-shock.1216344/page-3

I am going to do a diy service and try some fresh oil and seals.

The poly is plastic obviously and plastic is generally speaking less "springy" that rubber but tougher right?

IMO I'd rather use a standard Buna on the OD of the sealhead, but regardless of what you use it's a good idea to wrap a piece of electrical tape around the sharp ass threads before sliding the oring over, then obviously remove the tape after, that trick will improve chances of the more compression set resistant buna working in that location. For the sealhead I looked at custom ordering some custom buna 90 as opposed to standard 70 but I never followed through.

Also set the ifp depth to minimum for your stroke wich is "-0.050" from spec, and increase the ifp pressure from 125 to 150. This helps raise the pressure in the damper at bottom out where the pressure in the air chamber is incredibly high and trying its best to move into the damper.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2023 at 9:21 Quote
blamalamadingdong wrote:

Today was the 5 or 6th ride since it was rebuilt. Mind you, half of these rides were pretty tame and shortish.

It started to make a bit of a squish sound when compressing. Will take it out one or two more times and see how it is. Otherwise... It's going back to fox.

It's aerated not cavitated and if it's squishing and soft it for sure has.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2023 at 22:39 Quote
englertracing wrote:
blamalamadingdong wrote:

It's aerated not cavitated and if it's squishing and soft it for sure has.

good to know the difference. thanks

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2023 at 18:57 Quote
Chiming in with my experience -
Sent my 2022 X2 in for warranty 2 weeks ago. It was squelching within 50hrs of being rebuilt. I didn't expect it to be covered under warranty since it had been serviced by a LBS previously, and I hadn't seen this thread until today.
Fox sent me a new 2024 X2, and received it today. Pretty happy with the customer service from Fox overall. They even paid shipping both ways (sent me a UPS label to send in my shock).

The Fox rep I talked to on the phone listed all the changes made to the 2024 shock and assured me the aeration issue has been resolved. Not gonna hold my breath, but I'm hopeful.

Thought this was interesting - on the X2 page on ridefox.com, one of the features for the new model specifially states
"NEW bearing housing seal package virtually eliminates possibility of aeration"

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014907
Mobile Version of Website