Powered by Outside

MTB / Road crank mix

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
MTB / Road crank mix
Previous Page | Next Page
FL
Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 16:12 Quote
So this is probably a super niche question.

Basically I have an XT M8000 crankset and I'm wanting to get a power meter. Second hand, Stages and 4iiii M8000 cranks are pretty rare. So what I'm wondering is whether I can grab a road R8000 crank which there are loads of around.

In my head this would work fine as they're both hollowtech 2. But is there something I may be missing?

Posted: Feb 25, 2023 at 7:49 Quote
JoshCB wrote:

Basically I have an XT M8000 crankset and I'm wanting to get a power meter. Second hand, Stages and 4iiii M8000 cranks are pretty rare. So what I'm wondering is whether I can grab a road R8000 crank which there are loads of around.

In my head this would work fine as they're both hollowtech 2. But is there something I may be missing?

photo

photo

FL
Posted: Mar 2, 2023 at 11:41 Quote
I am assuming you want to use an ultegra NDS arm on your XT drive side. You cannot unfortunately do this. The Q factor is different between road crank and the mountain one. Basically you won’t have clearance on the frame with the road NDS arm.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2023 at 14:11 Quote
JoshCB wrote:

out of curiosity, does the 4iii power meter clear your chainstay? ive measured both my MTB's and i dont have clearance on either one. i was looking at putting power on my MTBs for as cheap as possible and 4iii / stages were the best options for shimano.

Posted: Apr 11, 2023 at 7:32 Quote
Very hard to find, good luck anyway!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008350
Mobile Version of Website