Former CyclingTips crew starting a new bike media site

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Former CyclingTips crew starting a new bike media site
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2023 at 8:33 Quote
Not sure if there's a better place for this but I figured road/gravel/touring/xc enthusiasts on PB might care.

Last fall Outside laid off a sizeable chunk of the CyclingTips staff, including some of the main writers & podcast personalities. Those people have kept a podcast going for the last few months and are they just announced they're getting the band back together over at escapecollective.cc. They have a seriously all-star group of writers lined up, including most of the founders & main contributors from CyclingTips. From their site:

bigquotesWe will cover the spectrum of endurance cycling, of course. We’ll cover road, gravel, bikepacking, and cross country. We will occasionally step beyond those borders.

We’ll review equipment honestly and keep you up to date on the latest tech. We won’t write up the latest press release unless it’s truly worth writing. We will cover men’s racing and women’s racing and things that aren’t racing at all.

Personally I really liked CyclingTips' road race coverage, unbiased and practical reviews, and overall banter and was super bummed about how quickly Outside gutted it. Over at escapecollective.cc they're asking $100 for an annual subscription to start things out, which will be refunded if they don't hit their fundraising goal as it stands now they're a little over 50%.

I know not everyone values bike media stuff enough to pay a fee and that's totally cool. But clearly it doesn't seem possible to get high quality, minimal-BS content under the Outside model, so I figure independent cycling journalism is worth a few bucks a month for me. Just wanted to put it out there for anyone who cares.

Posted: Apr 13, 2023 at 14:59 Quote
Paying for content in a sport that is free to watch, unlike stadium sports, seems weird.

I read a few articles on CyclingTips, but after they went to the paywall I dropped them, same with VeloNews. Try the PezCycling website for no paywall content.

PinkBike is my vote for best bike website on the web: best name, a very alive comments section, you can easily sell/buy bike stuff, lots of stories everyday, no paywall. I genuinely can't think of anything bad to say about it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008003
Mobile Version of Website