Xtr 12 speed cassette

PB Forum :: Shimano
Xtr 12 speed cassette
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2023 at 11:03 Quote
is anyone having issues with the rivets on shimano xtr 12 speed cassette 3 largest cogs coming loose causing creaking?.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2023 at 17:35 Quote
Does it go away if you lube the rivets?
I had that on an xt cassette.
Make sure it has the very thin plastic washer attached to the face of the alloy carrier, also.
Could also be time to service the hub, if it's a Shimano hub. They need frequent maintenance, as there is a plastic spacer with a bunch of fingers on it, that wears out very quickly.
Can't say that I've been very impressed with the durability of the 12 sp hubs from Shimano. They claim things have been improved, we'll see.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2023 at 19:22 Quote
the creak will go away for a short time if I lube the rivets

I have the plastic washer,

I agree the micro spline hubs are crap. I've exploded 3 of them. one xtr and 2 xt. incredibly disappointed

the rivets on my cassettes become so loose that there is play between the individual cogs and the spider. I've gone through many of them. They last from three weeks to a couple months. The shimano rep says he has not seen any other cassettes with this problem. Either he is not being totally honest, or I am just very unlucky. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had problems.

good thing xtr has three year warranty.

O+
Posted: Aug 27, 2023 at 4:10 Quote
hamster wrote:
the creak will go away for a short time if I lube the rivets

I have the plastic washer,

I agree the micro spline hubs are crap. I've exploded 3 of them. one xtr and 2 xt. incredibly disappointed

the rivets on my cassettes become so loose that there is play between the individual cogs and the spider. I've gone through many of them. They last from three weeks to a couple months. The shimano rep says he has not seen any other cassettes with this problem. Either he is not being totally honest, or I am just very unlucky. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had problems.

good thing xtr has three year warranty.

I had the same thing with multiple XTR cassettes, and my mates to. I eventually switched to SRAM and my mates to the XT cassettes.
Funny that the Shimano rep says this, because i had it on 4/5 XTR cassettes we tested and so did my mates. Shimano knows this. They have the exact same problem on the Dura Ace cassettes for road bikes. Not sure why they are not fixing this. I had one of the first XTR groupsets back then and its a pity to read that the problem still exists.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008714
Mobile Version of Website