Galfer MT5/7 Pad Issues

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Galfer MT5/7 Pad Issues
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2023 at 8:23 Quote
I am mostly looking for a sanity check here. I have been running Magura MT7’s for several years, about a year ago I started using Galfer pads as they were easier to find and work as good or better than the Magura 8p pads.

I received 2 new sets of pads this week and the brake compound seems abnormally thick. With the pistons fully retracted into the caliper, I could not even get the caliper back on the rotor.

Measuring the pad thickness, they vary between 4.0 and 4.2mm thick, each. I run Magura rotors at 2.0mm thickness so we are needing at least 10mm+ of clearance between the brake pistons. This does not account for the room needed for the pistons to retract after being squeezed.
A Magura bleed block measures only 9.9mm thick, so already It seems there is not enough room for these pads to be installed and work correctly.
Measuring a Magura 8p pad thickness, they are only about 3.5mm thick so I think my only option is to sand these pads down to 3.5mm.

Is there anything I am missing here? Galfer customer support confirmed the pads are the right thickness and should have room to be installed, but their math is not matching up with mine.

Posted: Apr 26, 2023 at 8:49 Quote
I've seen chatter on this subject before - rare, but is not unknown.
1) double check that pistons are completely flush w/caliper body. You said they were, but worth a look.
2) measure the backing plate thickness between old and new sets of brakes - possibly a different plate dimension causing the issue.
3) file or sand down the offending component - backing plate or pad.

Good luck.

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2023 at 9:38 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
I am mostly looking for a sanity check here. I have been running Magura MT7’s for several years, about a year ago I started using Galfer pads as they were easier to find and work as good or better than the Magura 8p pads.

I received 2 new sets of pads this week and the brake compound seems abnormally thick. With the pistons fully retracted into the caliper, I could not even get the caliper back on the rotor.

Measuring the pad thickness, they vary between 4.0 and 4.2mm thick, each. I run Magura rotors at 2.0mm thickness so we are needing at least 10mm+ of clearance between the brake pistons. This does not account for the room needed for the pistons to retract after being squeezed.
A Magura bleed block measures only 9.9mm thick, so already It seems there is not enough room for these pads to be installed and work correctly.
Measuring a Magura 8p pad thickness, they are only about 3.5mm thick so I think my only option is to sand these pads down to 3.5mm.

Is there anything I am missing here? Galfer customer support confirmed the pads are the right thickness and should have room to be installed, but their math is not matching up with mine.

I had an issue with a customers set of magura I installed. Magura branded pads and 2mm rotor and there was no room. The pads were always gonna rub till they wore down a bit but the wheel ran smooth and didn’t bind, just made some rubbing noise. Weird cause I’ve had other maguras where there was room between the pads and rotors so not sure what was up.

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2023 at 7:55 Quote
Thanks for the replies. I did move forward with sanding down the pads and that seems like it will work fine. Not ideal, but at least they can be salvaged.

Posted: May 21, 2023 at 6:20 Quote
Same thing has happened to my new set. My first set didn’t have this problem but these new ones do. So this must be a bad batch tolerance wise

O+
Posted: May 21, 2023 at 9:46 Quote
gspottickles918 wrote:
Same thing has happened to my new set. My first set didn’t have this problem but these new ones do. So this must be a bad batch tolerance wise

I agree but even talking with their sales and product manager and sending photos with caliper measurements they basically told me they are fine and there is still plenty of room. The only thing they would offer is to “inspect” them if I sent them in. Pretty poor customer support and I am likely done buying from them.

Posted: May 23, 2023 at 13:31 Quote
Ya that sucks because those pads are reasonably priced for as good as they are. Did you by chance measure them once you got them close enough to fit properly?

O+
Posted: May 23, 2023 at 14:07 Quote
gspottickles918 wrote:
Ya that sucks because those pads are reasonably priced for as good as they are. Did you by chance measure them once you got them close enough to fit properly?

I just sanded them down to 3.5mm but you could probably get away with 3.7ish

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010543
Mobile Version of Website