Suspension Fork suggestions for a suspension rookie.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Suspension Fork suggestions for a suspension rookie.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 23, 2023 at 13:01 Quote
Hello everyone.

I’m thinking about installing some suspension to my 26” street set up.

I love the idea of pikes but with that price tag, I think I’m going to need to look in to other options.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper option that won’t break the bank but can still be put through their paces?

I’d show you my set up to help make suggestions but unless anyone can tell me how to attach a photo to these posts I’m afraid I can’t!

Posted: May 23, 2023 at 13:37 Quote
Tutorial section tells how to upload pictures here.

Also, since it's your first fork and you don't have an unlimited budget I'd be looking at Manitou or Suntour. Or you may find a great fork used and still in good shape.

Anyhow - there's a lot to consider when buying any fork. Make sure you get the right dimension steerer tube that fits your bike. If you buy used make sure the the steerer hasn't been cut too short for your bike's head tube. Make sure you get the dropouts or thru-axle that fits your wheel's axle. Then consider how much travel you think you need based on the riding style and trail conditions, etc.

Good luck.

Posted: May 25, 2023 at 12:27 Quote
Johnzo112 wrote:
Hello everyone.

I’m thinking about installing some suspension to my 26” street set up.

I love the idea of pikes but with that price tag, I think I’m going to need to look in to other options.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper option that won’t break the bank but can still be put through their paces?

I’d show you my set up to help make suggestions but unless anyone can tell me how to attach a photo to these posts I’m afraid I can’t!

I doubly agree with BenLow. First, find your frame specs like steerer diameter, brake type, and whether it's tapered(given it's a 26" street build), probably not. SunTour is the best value in forks, hands down. You can find them cheap new and even cheaper used, even here on PB. And parts are available and cheap. I trust even the cheap SunTour forks(though stay away from the modern XCM forks), but I don't really like the Manitou stuff.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009216
Mobile Version of Website