Anyone gone from full sus to hardtail?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Anyone gone from full sus to hardtail?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 27, 2023 at 6:07 Quote
I'm looking at getting a new bike.
My current hardcore 29er hardtail (on one scandal) is great, but its an incredibly harsh/alloy frame.

I am thinking about getting my first full sus. But, I am reluctant because I worry it will make trails more boring and wont tax my skills as much.

I ride a lot at Rogate bike park - which is a 'downhill' park - its very techy with lots of rocks roots and drops, super steep in parts. I love going there on my hardtail - I really have to work hard on the bike, hopping sections of trail, get drops perfect etc.

When I borrow friends full sus bikes - it is much easier and not necessarily funner.

Has anyone found this to be true after buying a full sus? Then gone back to Hardtails?
Or do you just end up doing even madder sh*t on your full sus that you would have never tried on a hardtail?

Now I'm stuck deciding between an even more hardcore (long/slack) steel hardtail (Pole Taival or Nitro Hoon) or getting a Bird AM9 full sus.
I need to decide soon, as I'm hoping to get a new bike build before my first enduro in July ...

Posted: May 27, 2023 at 7:56 Quote
Keep the hardtail and add the Bird.
I have both and ride whatever I feel is the best for the trails I'm riding.

Posted: May 27, 2023 at 8:18 Quote
dogboy1066 wrote:
Keep the hardtail and add the Bird.
I have both and ride whatever I feel is the best for the trails I'm riding.
Can't have two sadly... Budget and space. Will be using the parts off the current hardtail.
Got to be one bike to rule them all.
Otherwise - both is my ideal 100%

Posted: May 27, 2023 at 8:22 Quote
A true bike freak will always find space. I kept a hammock above my bed in
a bedsit, there lived my 2nd bike dripping oil as I slept : )

Posted: May 28, 2023 at 20:28 Quote
Yes I did recently. Built up my Honzo CR last year then added an Optic C1, great bike but just enjoyed the Honzo so much more I kept choosing it when going out. Sold the Optic a few weeks ago putting the $ into building a Banshee Paradox

O+ FL
Posted: May 29, 2023 at 17:55 Quote
Faster, harder and longer.

Posted: Jun 1, 2023 at 3:09 Quote
I started out on a full susser, for the last 10 years I've had both. I get more use out of the hardtail on my home trails.

My first proper hardtail was a Ragley Mmmbop. It was great fun but far too stiff, so I changed to a steel framed Production Privee Shan. I'd never go back to alloy now, steel is awesome.

I'm now riding a Cotic Bfe as my hardtail, brilliant fun. I'd recommend looking at a steel frame to swap your parts over to. Cotic, Ragley, Stanton, Bird, there are loads that are either designed, built, or just sold in the UK. They're slightly more expensive than alloy but worth the extra money when you ride them.

Posted: Jun 1, 2023 at 4:19 Quote
fielonator wrote:
I started out on a full susser, for the last 10 years I've had both. I get more use out of the hardtail on my home trails.

My first proper hardtail was a Ragley Mmmbop. It was great fun but far too stiff, so I changed to a steel framed Production Privee Shan. I'd never go back to alloy now, steel is awesome.

I'm now riding a Cotic Bfe as my hardtail, brilliant fun. I'd recommend looking at a steel frame to swap your parts over to. Cotic, Ragley, Stanton, Bird, there are loads that are either designed, built, or just sold in the UK. They're slightly more expensive than alloy but worth the extra money when you ride them.

Thanks for the info! Cotic BFE looks amazing.
I took the leap to a steel hardtail. Arrives at the weekend.
I went to Tidworth bike park on Tuesday - rode every single trail, did every drop. Great fun on a hardtail. BUT that place is the most rooty bike park I have been to. My hands and ankles were literally buzzing and shaking for 10 mins after each run! I was absolutely rinsed by the end of the day.

I realised; I don't need a full sus for 95% of the trails I ride. I'm no Rémy Métailler.
Main advantage I'd get from a full sus would be that I would get much less exhausted at the end of the day. Something that can take the edge off that buzz on a hardtail would be nice though....

Gone for a Nitro Bikes Co Hoon. Has a nice looking steel frame with longer flexy looking seat stays. Hoping it will just be that bit less harsh.

Posted: Jun 1, 2023 at 4:58 Quote
Not heard of those ones. Facebook only by the looks of it. If you're not already running an insert in your rear then this will help a bit too. Rimpact are good, light and reasonably cheap. They mean you can let the pressure down quite a lot without risking hitting the rim or burping. Worth a look, enjoy the new bike.

Posted: Jun 2, 2023 at 10:05 Quote
I switched back to a hardtail recently, mostly because I like to be able to get out of the saddle and mash the pedals on climbs and traverses... which always felt silly on my Evil. I for sure miss the forgiving / surfy feeling of full suspension on downhills though.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009642
Mobile Version of Website