32 Talas RLC Conversion possible?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
32 Talas RLC Conversion possible?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 30, 2023 at 12:04 Quote
I have found numerous suggestions for newer 36 talas to float conversions but keep getting conflicting information on whether or not the older talas 1 can be converted to float. It seems like it should be a simple air shaft swap to me, but I could be wrong. My talas stopped knob stopped turning. Thanks in advance!

Posted: May 30, 2023 at 12:52 Quote
unknown92 wrote:
I have found numerous suggestions for newer 36 talas to float conversions but keep getting conflicting information on whether or not the older talas 1 can be converted to float. It seems like it should be a simple air shaft swap to me, but I could be wrong. My talas stopped knob stopped turning. Thanks in advance!

The newest stuff won't fit properly. T get the straight scoop call Risse Racing or Fox themselves. Risse Racing is whom Fox USA would recommend you send the fork to for service.

Posted: May 30, 2023 at 12:54 Quote
Thats a bugger when that happens, you just want a straight honest answer.
I'm of the same thought as you, maybe stick to the same era fork, say a
2008 Talas with a 2008 Float or within a few years perhaps, not saying it will work
but if it was me, I would be trying to see to satisy my curisity, of which its paid off
many times by going for it, its how I learned a Fox 32 top cap needle adjuster fitted the top
cap of my Fox 36 Van open bath damper top cap.

I get conflicting if not vague info regarding fitting internals from a newer Fox fork,
say a 2018 Fox internals into a 2010 Fox fork, they say the threads are different
at the top cap and stanchions, well today I got 2019 Fox 36, so finally I will answer this 1st hand
for surety when I strip and service and match up to a 2010 Fox 36.

Posted: May 31, 2023 at 9:18 Quote
SPSuspension wrote:
unknown92 wrote:

The newest stuff won't fit properly. T get the straight scoop call Risse Racing or Fox themselves. Risse Racing is whom Fox USA would recommend you send the fork to for service.

Yeah I emailed both Fox and Risse last week. 2 different sales departments at Fox told me 2 different things, and Risse told me yet another. 1 sales dept told me the only way it was possible was to swap crown steerer, air spring, top cap, and damper ($600). The other said it wasn't possible. Risse says it is possible with the older parts if you can find them but didn't specify which parts (assuming just air spring and top cap, not sure why Fox said damper and crown steerer too). That's why I reached out to hopefully find someone who has ACTUALLY done the swap instead of a plethora of misinformation.

Posted: May 31, 2023 at 9:20 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
Thats a bugger when that happens, you just want a straight honest answer.
I'm of the same thought as you, maybe stick to the same era fork, say a
2008 Talas with a 2008 Float or within a few years perhaps, not saying it will work
but if it was me, I would be trying to see to satisy my curisity, of which its paid off
many times by going for it, its how I learned a Fox 32 top cap needle adjuster fitted the top
cap of my Fox 36 Van open bath damper top cap.

I get conflicting if not vague info regarding fitting internals from a newer Fox fork,
say a 2018 Fox internals into a 2010 Fox fork, they say the threads are different
at the top cap and stanchions, well today I got 2019 Fox 36, so finally I will answer this 1st hand
for surety when I strip and service and match up to a 2010 Fox 36.

Apparently fox updated the 32's in 2016 quite a bit, not sure about the 36, but let me know what you find out!

Posted: May 31, 2023 at 15:52 Quote
Quick update: Contacted Fox for the 3rd time (3rd times a charm right?) and got some hopefully useful news. Apparently they not only redesigned the forks in 2016, but also in 2011. Meaning if I can find a 2010 or earlier float air spring and cap, I SHOULD be good to go. Will update later.

Posted: Jun 1, 2023 at 5:08 Quote
With regards to Fox 36 top cap threads.

Today I removed the air damper side top cap off a 2018 Factory Series 36 FLOAT 27.5 170 FIT
( ID C964 )
The top cap thread measures 33mm OD x 0.8mm
I fitted the above top cap into a 2011 Fox 36 VAN R 180mm, the threads matched up the same.

The difference between the 2011 Fox 36 top cap is the threads are set closer to the top of the
cap, whereby the 2018 Fox 36 top cap, the threads are at the bottom, so its the position of these threads
that differ not the thread size itself, this thread position also prevents either top cap from being crossed over
between forks, as they cant be fully seated.

Posted: Jun 1, 2023 at 6:13 Quote
"Meaning if I can find a 2010 or earlier float air spring and cap, I SHOULD be good to go"

This thread shares a similar path but regarding pre 2010 Fox 36s

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=245598&pagenum=1#commentid7195080

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009340
Mobile Version of Website