Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: May 28, 2015 at 8:40 Quote
jitenshakun wrote:
4:30 at Station Flats and pouring rain.

Elbow Valley weather station showed no precip yesterday, Cox Hill had about 10mm. We took a chance and started out from Station around 7 pm to head up to Race and shortly turned around when we started hitting puddles and clearly it was just getting wetter.

Went back down the road and rode Snagmore-Boundary-SB-SM. Snagmore was totally dry! A few slick sections on Strange Brew but nothing too bad. Hilarious what a difference a couple of km can make.

I will say that I will never do that loop CCW again. IMO, Sugar Momma is an okay, old school descent which has a certain charm but just nowhere near as much fun as SB, which is kinda a bitch to climb compared to SM.

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 9:25 Quote
Looked like Canmore just got a little sprinkle, and Nordic Centre trails were nice and tacky. Also, Wed night XC racing is back:

http://transrockies.com/hump-day-hustle-race-series/

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 9:36 Quote
Moose_052715 @ 6pm - A bit of ole' school flavor last night...Ing's Mine up to Special K, down Special K, Up Moose Packers (mud holes not worth staying on bike for, cause you'll be cleaning your muddy drive train 2 mins later) Then down Shaft. Everything was tacky until Shaft, the lower you went into Ing's the slipperier it got..,but that side has some incredibly slippery mud which adds to the fun factor right?

Not sure I'd recommend that loop...but it's 'a' way to ride the longest trails down. Special k / Shaft.

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 11:02 Quote
Anyone been on Moose today? I know it's cloudy.. But forecast on my phone says no rain...

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 11:19 Quote
SparkyPete wrote:
Anyone been on Moose today? I know it's cloudy.. But forecast on my phone says no rain...

Pretty sure nothing has changed since 10pm last night from my post...Might sprinkle a bit, but as long as it's not down pouring the trails will be great.

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 13:20 Quote
quinner wrote:
SparkyPete wrote:

Pretty sure nothing has changed since 10pm last night from my post...Might sprinkle a bit, but as long as it's not down pouring the trails will be great.

Ab Enviro foothills weather sites showing on average 2mm between about 7:00 to 9:00 this morn. That was as of 11:45, nothing more recent as the info is not real time- the data gets uploaded in blocks of several hours each.
Going to pedal over to Eastlands I think- always good for a fun time. It will be bone dry- only a minor sprinkle this morning in the NW.

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 13:25 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
quinner wrote:
SparkyPete wrote:

Ab Enviro foothills weather sites showing on average 2mm between about 7:00 to 9:00 this morn. That was as of 11:45, nothing more recent as the info is not real time- the data gets uploaded in blocks of several hours each.
Going to pedal over to Eastlands I think- always good for a fun time. It will be bone dry- only a minor sprinkle this morning in the NW.

So, your saying.. Yay or nay? I can't figure out your point.

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 13:37 Quote
SparkyPete wrote:
So, your saying.. Yay or nay? I can't figure out your point.

He's saying "yay" but pick a drier trail. Race of Spades might be mucky, the start of Special K won't appreciate tire dragging, and T-Dub will have grease (also it is closed). Family Guy, Jean Guy, Shaft, and Billy Dog are better options.

Pack a rain shell.

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 14:36 Quote
Invermere trails are dry and dusty, there was a few showers last night that helped for todays Johnson tour. Very nice addition to the trail to add some more length.

It is showering again as I type this and all moisture is appreciated.

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 18:24 Quote
Just got back from West Fish Creek. Conditions are absolutely perfect and, given it's a bit gray out, the trails are quiet. Dry to slightly tacky. Roots are dry as a bone.

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 7:37 Quote
brucie1 wrote:
Invermere trails are dry and dusty, there was a few showers last night that helped for todays Johnson tour. Very nice addition to the trail to add some more length.

It is showering again as I type this and all moisture is appreciated.

no sure which you rode but there are actually 3 or 4 new sections in progress right now.

Nipika trails are also in great shape, no dust at all out there, I think they got more rain this week than the valley.

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 10:22 Quote
Moose Mtn last night was greasy like bacon. Pneuma/sulphur loop and ridgeback were all still rideable, but forecasted rain will make for dirtier car seats on the way home.

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 10:42 Quote
Did Long Distance Merlin X 2 and reconnect last night. Greasy and puddles. Some sections were perfect (Merlin DH CCW) but otherwise tacky greasy and slick.

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 12:09 Quote
Family guy was in great shape yesterday in the mist/fog

Race of spades was muddy the rest of my group said, but not to bad.

The road was quite greasy though, no damage to the road though.

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 12:16 Quote
Last night not too Greasy up Ridgeback to Bobcat...down Strangebrew was messy but doable...Boundry and Snag actually all good with the familiar puddles. A misty evening made for a very nice change minus the dust. If more rain today, recommend staying put for trail sake...

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024032
Mobile Version of Website