Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 19:06 Quote
Kenny that sounds a lot like my afterwork Bowmont ride. I was prepared to simply cruise the paved path, but had a much better than anticipated dirt ride, with mostly damp but firm trail conditions. The only real trouble spots were the usual ones towards the west end of Sideshow, and east side of Waterfall Valley. Another burst of light precip underway here in Silver Springs right now though....

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 7:09 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Kenny that sounds a lot like my afterwork Bowmont ride. I was prepared to simply cruise the paved path, but had a much better than anticipated dirt ride, with mostly damp but firm trail conditions. The only real trouble spots were the usual ones towards the west end of Sideshow, and east side of Waterfall Valley. Another burst of light precip underway here in Silver Springs right now though....

Everything was going great and the sun was out, dirt was good, etc. so I went for another lap without watching the sky. I paid for it as I got caught in that wet groppel and came home a bit wet and cold. My neighbour thought it was funny though

uggg the sky looks bad again....

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 8:50 Quote
Trail building AGM Advert.
Tonight's the night! The 2017 MMBTS Annual General Meeting will take place Friday, April 28th at GSL GM City. See you there!

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 13:59 Quote
rbbs wrote:
CM! Don't let them troll youSalute !

Anyone going to the All Worcester Race Series coming up in a few weeks ? Should be a good mix of flats, flats and a few small hills.

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 15:11 Quote
Safe to assume Invermere is still good to go? Been watching the forecast all week and it's been saying 40-60% chance of rain, but I'm not sure what actually fell.

Any first hand, recent information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've never been there before so any recommendations on which trails to hit would be welcome. Let's say I'm an intermediate rider (comfortable with all of West Bragg, Jewell Pass, Prospector, Nordic Centre Trails and the blue's on Moose), I was thinking Kloosifier/Johnson to start, High Roller (and other trails in that area), but I'm hesitant to try Swansea for fear of getting over my head.

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 17:02 Quote
GreyFox14 wrote:
Safe to assume Invermere is still good to go? Been watching the forecast all week and it's been saying 40-60% chance of rain, but I'm not sure what actually fell.

Also, I've never been there before so any recommendations on which trails to hit would be welcome. Let's say I'm an intermediate rider (comfortable with all of West Bragg, Jewell Pass, Prospector, Nordic Centre Trails and the blue's on Moose), I was thinking Kloosifier/Johnson to start, High Roller (and other trails in that area), but I'm hesitant to try Swansea for fear of getting over my head.

Conditions are as good as they get. Rain showers here and there and Temps around 12 today. It has to rain for a week straight before the trails get soft.

You can put together 35-40km at the Johnson/kloosifier area. All rideable by any ability.
High roller is great also.
Swansea is rideable for intermediate riders, you'll be fine. Be prepared to suffer on the pedal up, it is a grind.

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 18:10 Quote
Went today DMan, and you're right. Trails were mostly pretty exceptional and it was raining while I was there.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 18:03 Quote
Fish Creek from Marshall Springs and west to 37th on the south side of the creek is good to go.

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 21:50 Quote
Mount seven perfect to b12

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 7:51 Quote
The A.I.I. is happening this week. Parking lots are FULL

Alberta Invades Invermere

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 8:07 Quote
d-man wrote:
GreyFox14 wrote:

Conditions are as good as they get. Rain showers here and there and Temps around 12 today. It has to rain for a week straight before the trails get soft.

You can put together 35-40km at the Johnson/kloosifier area. All rideable by any ability.
Swansea is rideable for intermediate riders, you'll be fine. Be prepared to suffer on the pedal up, it is a grind.

I would describe myself as an intermediate rider. I have tried to find some suitable trails on Mt Swansea , all I remember is some extremely steep skid trails where I was terrified of being mown down by a kid in full body armour. I haven't been back. Johnson/Kloosifier are great, but parts, especially on Kloosifier ,are quite technical, I wouldn't take a beginner. Worth exploring the High Roller trails north of the creek.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 8:45 Quote
garyfischer wrote:
d-man wrote:
GreyFox14 wrote:

I would describe myself as an intermediate rider. I have tried to find some suitable trails on Mt Swansea , all I remember is some extremely steep skid trails where I was terrified of being mown down by a kid in full body armour. I haven't been back. Johnson/Kloosifier are great, but parts, especially on Kloosifier ,are quite technical, I wouldn't take a beginner. Worth exploring the High Roller trails north of the creek.

It must have been a few years since you've ridden Swansea, there have been lots of improvements to help intermediate Level riders.

I don't really see how you think Kloosifier has any technical sections. It's one of the easiest non technical trails in the valley.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 8:58 Quote
d-man wrote:
garyfischer wrote:
d-man wrote:

It must have been a few years since you've ridden Swansea, there have been lots of improvements to help intermediate Level riders.

I don't really see how you think Kloosifier has any technical sections. It's one of the easiest non technical trails in the valley.

Some of the terrain features on Kloosifier are significantly harder than anything at ,say, West Bragg. I'm not saying it's a hard trail just that I wouldn't describe it as 'rideable by any ability'.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 8:58 Quote
d-man wrote:

There's the odd roll-in that's 4/10 steep? Otherwise I agree with the assessment that it's not a difficult trail.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 9:15 Quote
My eight year old on v-brakes and on no suspension rode all of Kloosifier without any problem. It's rated as a Blue but the greens are fire roads by comparison. The exposure on the Johnson can by bypassed. It's a great section of trails and firmly intermediate and compares locally to WBC. Ride your Nomads and Bronsons so you don't feel anything.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023166
Mobile Version of Website