Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 13:41 Quote
garyfischer wrote:
d-man wrote:
garyfischer wrote:

I would describe myself as an intermediate rider. I have tried to find some suitable trails on Mt Swansea , all I remember is some extremely steep skid trails where I was terrified of being mown down by a kid in full body armour. I haven't been back. Johnson/Kloosifier are great, but parts, especially on Kloosifier ,are quite technical, I wouldn't take a beginner. Worth exploring the High Roller trails north of the creek.

It must have been a few years since you've ridden Swansea, there have been lots of improvements to help intermediate Level riders.

I don't really see how you think Kloosifier has any technical sections. It's one of the easiest non technical trails in the valley.

Some of the landscape features on Kloosifier are much harder than anything at West Bragg. Just saying I wouldn't describe it as 'rideable by any ability'.
The majority of trails at west Bragg creek could be ridden on a bmx bike by a rider of average at best skill...

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 16:47 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
The majority of trails at west Bragg creek could be ridden on a bmx bike by a rider of average at best skill...

That would take some hella good fitness to pedal a BMX gear ratio up even WBC trails.

I've ridden both my commuter and a circa late 90s MTB at WBC and in both cases the ancient bikes were completely at home.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 16:58 Quote
A trail report....Eastlands in prime shape this morning, Bowmont also, except for the usual short bogs.
As for trail ratings and such- most areas in BC are on a scale that's calibrated differently than here. The West Bragg trails for example which are "officially" rated as "intermediate", would be seen as novice trails in most BC zones. Which IMO is correct- at most there are only a few segments at WBC that would fall into the realm of an easy intermediate rating. NTTAWWT- they are a lot of fun to ride, as shown by their popularity.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2017 at 7:14 Quote
Did a lap of fish creek twice over the weekend, the west side from voiters to 37th is primo right now. the moisture that was in the dirt from last week is now turning it to hero dirt. watch out for a few mud holes in the flats along the river near voiters though, some of those suckers are deep.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2017 at 7:16 Quote
Went for a stroll up bobcat and a man and his horse beat the crap out of the trail from the bottom to about the junction with Fullerton. They must have been there Friday/Saturday as some of the hoof marks were 8" deep.

Posted: May 1, 2017 at 7:48 Quote
Rmcfarland wrote:
Went for a stroll up bobcat and a man and his horse beat the crap out of the trail from the bottom to about the junction with Fullerton. They must have been there Friday/Saturday as some of the hoof marks were 8" deep.

What a shithead...I doubt he's coming back with his pick and shovel to repair the trail in a month

Posted: May 1, 2017 at 7:50 Quote
ross005 wrote:
Rmcfarland wrote:

What a shithead...I doubt he's coming back with his pick and shovel to repair the trail in a month

But Multi use people. We have to share with everyone. Madder

O+
Posted: May 1, 2017 at 8:21 Quote
bigquotesAs for trail ratings and such- most areas in BC are on a scale that's calibrated differently than here

This isn't just a biking thing. A couple of years back I ran into a very unhappy skier who was out of his depth on a black at Revelstoke resort. Turned out he'd only skied at Nakiska where he managed all the blacks and so had just headed over to the lemming line first thing Eek

O+
Posted: May 1, 2017 at 8:22 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:
bigquotesAs for trail ratings and such- most areas in BC are on a scale that's calibrated differently than here

This isn't just a biking thing. A couple of years back I ran into a very unhappy skier who was out of his depth on a black at Revelstoke resort. Turned out he'd only skied at Nakiska where he managed all the blacks and so had just headed over to the lemming line first thing Eek

Mark I love this!

Posted: May 1, 2017 at 8:24 Quote
Haha, didn't mean to start an argument regarding the grades of trail difficulty ratings. I always take people's opinions with a grain of salt because it's all relative. And like mentioned above, different regions tend to have different views as to what a green/blue/black is. Hell, even trails that are practically within earshot of each other I find have pretty different ratings (a Moose Mountain blue is significantly different than a West Bragg blue).

Anywho, as eluded to, trails in Invermere were fantastic on Saturday. Ended up riding Kloosifier first, then a few trails around the Johnson area and they're fun trails with some fantastic views. Also gave Swansea a go - I convinced my wife to shuttle me but when we got to the parking lot and saw 100% trucks and took a look at the road, we decided not to try to go up with a car...can you shuttle that road with a car?

Rode the up-trail to Hula Girl and rode that down with no issues (really liked the various options for more difficult vs easier way down routes and great signage) and even ended up on Meat Grinder (wussed out at one small section, but otherwise rode it all the way). Again, mint conditions all the way through.

All to say, Invermere worth the drive, A++, will return again.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2017 at 8:55 Quote
GreyFox14 wrote:
Haha, didn't mean to start an argument regarding the grades of trail difficulty ratings. I always take people's opinions with a grain of salt because it's all relative. And like mentioned above, different regions tend to have different views as to what a green/blue/black is. Hell, even trails that are practically within earshot of each other I find have pretty different ratings (a Moose Mountain blue is significantly different than a West Bragg blue).

Anywho, as eluded to, trails in Invermere were fantastic on Saturday. Ended up riding Kloosifier first, then a few trails around the Johnson area and they're fun trails with some fantastic views. Also gave Swansea a go - I convinced my wife to shuttle me but when we got to the parking lot and saw 100% trucks and took a look at the road, we decided not to try to go up with a car...can you shuttle that road with a car?

Rode the up-trail to Hula Girl and rode that down with no issues (really liked the various options for more difficult vs easier way down routes and great signage) and even ended up on Meat Grinder (wussed out at one small section, but otherwise rode it all the way). Again, mint conditions all the way through.

No worries, feedback is good. Glad you enjoyed the area.
A quick email to the cvcs would be great to have from all visitors so the club directors can show others the positive impact of trails.

Posted: May 1, 2017 at 9:12 Quote
d-man wrote:
GreyFox14 wrote:

No worries, feedback is good. Glad you enjoyed the area.
A quick email to the cvcs would be great to have from all visitors so the club directors can show others the positive impact of trails.

I'm going to do that. Good idea d-man. We've been there the last two weekends and as always have had tons of fun. All the addition to loops on the Johnson side have added in some variety than just doing johnson/kloos laps all day. Swansea is soo good too. Plus, Arrowhead Brewery is awesome IMO. They could stay open a bit later on Sat nights, but I assume that's a liquor license thing. Bunch of us went to The Station for the first time to eat and that place is pretty sweet too. Always like going out that way for riding and all the extras make it that much better.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2017 at 10:21 Quote
Anyone got the scoop on Prospector? Thinking of heading out this afternoon but I'm not in the business of wrecking trails so any feedback appreciated.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2017 at 10:32 Quote
zshipowick wrote:
Anyone got the scoop on Prospector? Thinking of heading out this afternoon but I'm not in the business of wrecking trails so any feedback appreciated.

Heard it is mostly still snow covered at the moment. Maybe after this week it will be good, after the warm weather the snow should be gone, but then it may be mud.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2017 at 12:22 Quote
GreyFox14 wrote:
Also gave Swansea a go - I convinced my wife to shuttle me but when we got to the parking lot and saw 100% trucks and took a look at the road, we decided not to try to go up with a car...can you shuttle that road with a car?

I would advise against it. Moderately deep drainage ruts, and with the road being narrow, you can pose a hazard for other vehicles coming down if you are unable to move to the side due to ruts or rocks.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.140138
Mobile Version of Website