Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: May 24, 2017 at 12:01 Quote
I rode the High Rockies trail yesterday , the section from the Goat Creek trailhead to the pond before Three Sisters dam (which is really good for beginners). A large section of trail , close to the start, has been devastated by runoff which appears to have been using the trail as a watercourse. There are other large washouts along the trail, causing us to lose the trail at one point.

Posted: May 25, 2017 at 9:42 Quote
So how much snow up in 'der 'dem hills from yday?

Posted: May 25, 2017 at 9:51 Quote
I don't think it was too much. I was in the area at 1500m and it was all rain. I would guess it was mostly rain at West Bragg and Moose.
http://www.braggcreek.ca/weather/
Weather cam shows a bit more snow that yesterday but not much.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2017 at 10:05 Quote
employee7 wrote:
I don't think it was too much. I was in the area at 1500m and it was all rain. I would guess it was mostly rain at West Bragg and Moose.
http://www.braggcreek.ca/weather/
Weather cam shows a bit more snow that yesterday but not much.

Bragg trail report says 21mm but I'm unsure of where that station is located. Elbow Ranger Station claims 21.4mm. As long as the area doesn't get slammed today with the warming trend and wind I'm guessing the trails should be very good by mid-day tomorrow.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2017 at 12:29 Quote
Radar shows a lineup of cells of precip along the foothills, flowing from the NW, so it looks like not much drying going today on for Moose-Bragg.

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 10:27 Quote
Anyone ride Highwood pass this year? good conditions I assume, any idea which direction is better for a decent ride?

O+
Posted: May 26, 2017 at 11:27 Quote
Kananakasis rescue had some photos on their FB page from 18th May which showed plenty of snow so I don't know if it would have cleared yet.

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 15:19 Quote
Meto89 wrote:
Anyone ride Highwood pass this year? good conditions I assume, any idea which direction is better for a decent ride?

Just to follow up; called Alberta parks up and they mentioned that about ~150m past the winter gates they have snow. Also got about 15cm at the pass on Wednesday. Looks like I'll put it off for another week or two, shout out to Jessica with the good info.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2017 at 17:11 Quote
Eastlands is awesome right now if anyone is looking for a rip in town.

Anything on moose, husky road, or WBC gonna be rideable tomorrow morning?

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 17:13 Quote
Broughen wrote:

Again it rained for two days straight, all the trails are currently soup in the bragg Creek area. I would say sunday morning at the earliest.

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 18:21 Quote
Prairie View/Jewel Pass were good today. Some snowy muck on the bottom of JP but nothing a person can't pick up and walk around. Any spots that weren't dry were totally avoidable.

Also saw a lot of bikes in Canmore riding CNC but I didn't ride much so I don't have anything useful to report.

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 20:02 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Broughen wrote:

Again it rained for two days straight, all the trails are currently soup in the bragg Creek area. I would say sunday morning at the earliest.

Downhill side will be fine.....don't be scared by weather or you will never ride.....

CM!

O+
Posted: May 26, 2017 at 20:37 Quote
Invermere area is prime, couple rainy days this week left hero dirt today.

Forecast is looking hot, maybe summer is here?

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 21:21 Quote
Broughen wrote:

Trail report says most trails at moose with the exception of Billy Dog are fairly good to go

Posted: May 27, 2017 at 9:40 Quote
Meto89 wrote:
Meto89 wrote:

Just to follow up; called Alberta parks up and they mentioned that about ~150m past the winter gates they have snow. Also got about 15cm at the pass on Wednesday. Looks like I'll put it off for another week or two, shout out to Jessica with the good info.
A friend biked up there yesterday from the north end and got stopped by a huge pile of avalanche debris close to elbow pass parking lot. It looked big enough you'd need snowshoes to get over it. There was also fresh snow on the road up to it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023651
Mobile Version of Website