Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: May 31, 2017 at 7:53 Quote
Heads up to everyone that the first MMBTS Toonie race will be tonight on 7-27. Expect the trail to be busy from about 6PM-9PM. For those that want to come participate, registration will run at the 2KM parking lot from 5:30-6:30ish. Quick race briefing at 6:45, race commences at 7:15. wrap up at 9:15 back at the 2KM parking lot. Cost is $2 for members and $2 plus a membership for current non-members. Fun atmosphere, no cash prizes but high fives are guaranteed.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2017 at 8:24 Quote
Jewell Pass- prime time for Calypso Orchids.
photo
I don't usually see any, on a more typical evening PVJ ride, but there were LOTS of hikers (more than a dozen) on the Jewell descent on Tuesday afternoon. A close encounter with 4 at one tight spot was a reminder to ride as if there is a hiker (or bear for that matter) around every corner.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2017 at 8:43 Quote
There seemed to be a big group camping at Quaite. We were riding up to do Razors (which is good but seriously loose as usual) early evening and a regular stream of older teenagers were heading back down to what seemed to be an organised event.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2017 at 8:44 Quote
chriscarrier wrote:
Fun atmosphere, no cash prizes but high fives are guaranteed.

There might be some small prizes although they won't be cash.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2017 at 9:03 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:
There seemed to be a big group camping at Quaite. We were riding up to do Razors (which is good but seriously loose as usual) early evening and a regular stream of older teenagers were heading back down to what seemed to be an organised event.
I think some of the high schools in Calgary use that campground for outdoor ed classes, probably would be fun! juggled the idea of camping out there for a night and just ripping the area for a couple days!

O+
Posted: May 31, 2017 at 9:38 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:

I thought it was you who liked his wildflowers! Salute

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2017 at 7:23 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:

Great Photo!

Posted: Jun 1, 2017 at 8:33 Quote
Moose trails are in great shape. TW had a bit of mud on top here and there but JG, Toothless, Shaft and Shoulda are perfect. Creek is flowing still but easy enough to cross. Was nice to ride some tacky trails.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2017 at 9:28 Quote
Great turnout and fun event last night at the Toonie Race on 7-27!!! Thanks to MMBTS and Calgary Cycle for putting it on and I think everybody had a good time cheering each other on. 70 racers participated, hope to see more next Wednesday night for the SHAFT race.

Heads up though on 7-27, can't believe the actual location of the spring hasn't been mentioned yet, its right in the landing of the last double of the flow/jump section. Better to take the easier left line option around the tree and then hit the right side of the trail to avoid the mud pit. Doing the double trends into the deepest part of the pit.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2017 at 9:43 Quote
robnow wrote:
Great turnout and fun event last night at the Toonie Race on 7-27!!! Thanks to MMBTS and Calgary Cycle for putting it on and I think everybody had a good time cheering each other on. 70 racers participated, hope to see more next Wednesday night for the SHAFT race.

Heads up though on 7-27, can't believe the actual location of the spring hasn't been mentioned yet, its right in the landing of the last double of the flow/jump section. Better to take the easier left line option around the tree and then hit the right side of the trail to avoid the mud pit. Doing the double trends into the deepest part of the pit.

Agreed! a great night out on moose. Thanks to all the organizers and CC for putting on an awesome event. stoked for the SHAFT race.

Yeah that mud pit couldn't be in a much worse spot than it is. Glad I did a refresher lap before the race, I hit the double and realized I was in for a spicy landing mid-air, almost went over the bars landing in that sticky bog.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2017 at 10:09 Quote
Hey Everybody,

If you're still making weekend plans and want to try something new (or old to those who may have been out back in the day,) come make the trek up to Baseline Mountain, southwest of Rocky Mountain House, for the Baseline Mountain Biking Club's Poker Rally. If you like the steep, technical and raw trails of the Husky Road but hate pedaling this is for you! We have over $800 in prizing up for grabs!

https://www.trailforks.com/region/baseline-mountain-1474992887/

Baseline Mountain Poker Rally

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2017 at 6:29 Quote
I hadn't been on Braggin-Merlin since last summer, so it was shocking to see how tired and worn looking much of those 2 trails are. Horses? A lot of riders need to look in the mirror after the thrashing this spring. And to continue with the dumba** mtb'r rant- I picked up a bunch of trash at the Merlin viewpoint including banana peels, a half eaten orange, and a piece of energy bar along with a wrapper.
WTF? Not only unsightly, but also a lure for bears!
After that it was a pleasant change to continue my ride around recon-discon-tele and long distance north which still feature lots of pristine singletrack. Dry thoughout other than a few minor soft or wet spots.

Posted: Jun 2, 2017 at 7:21 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
I hadn't been on Braggin-Merlin since last summer, so it was shocking to see how tired and worn looking much of those 2 trails are. Horses? A lot of riders need to look in the mirror after the thrashing this spring. And to continue with the dumba** mtb'r rant- I picked up a bunch of trash at the Merlin viewpoint including banana peels, a half eaten orange, and a piece of energy bar along with a wrapper.
WTF? Not only unsightly, but also a lure for bears!
After that it was a pleasant change to continue my ride around recon-discon-tele and long distance north which still feature lots of pristine singletrack. Dry thoughout other than a few minor soft or wet spots.

Snakes & Ladders is in even worse condition, a few equestrian riders need to take a hard look in the mirror after that ride ...

Posted: Jun 2, 2017 at 7:38 Quote
Not to mention, someone decided to break the trail sign in half at the Merlin junction. Makes you wonder about some of the people on the trails.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2017 at 9:04 Quote
Allfun wrote:
Not to mention, someone decided to break the trail sign in half at the Merlin junction. Makes you wonder about some of the people on the trails.

my and a buddy noticed that last weekend, very strange indeed. We decided it was an angry bear that's fed up with loud hubs tricking them into thinking theres honey to be found

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017180
Mobile Version of Website