Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2017 at 12:55 Quote
I'm moderately skilled at best and the first time I rode Shaft** was in a mixture of rain and snow in the late evening with deteriorating light and didn't struggle at all (other than some mud in the eyes). Challenging green or easy blue.

** there were some newer riders that night and I'm pretty sure it took them 30-45 minutes longer to get down and they walked lots of it. I suspect this was more because of the super greasy conditions than the actual difficulty of the trail.

Posted: Jun 10, 2017 at 13:12 Quote
saskskier wrote:
I'm moderately skilled at best and the first time I rode Shaft** was in a mixture of rain and snow in the late evening with deteriorating light and didn't struggle at all (other than some mud in the eyes). Challenging green or easy blue.

** there were some newer riders that night and I'm pretty sure it took them 30-45 minutes longer to get down and they walked lots of it. I suspect this was more because of the super greasy conditions than the actual difficulty of the trail.
Was this on a CC group ride last year by chance?

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2017 at 13:18 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
saskskier wrote:

Indeed it was. The infamous Shaft group ride.

Posted: Jun 10, 2017 at 13:21 Quote
saskskier wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
saskskier wrote:

So glad stuart and I dipped out onto Tdub Wink

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2017 at 13:23 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
saskskier wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

So glad stuart and I dipped out onto Tdub Wink

It was a blast, but there is still a cloud that crosses Graeme and Cory's faces any time it comes up.

Posted: Jun 10, 2017 at 16:56 Quote
The temporary WB parking is tiny, But worse after a couple hours of rain it was a mire today. Makes walking around packing up a mess.

Posted: Jun 10, 2017 at 22:31 Quote
saskskier wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
saskskier wrote:

Thanks for the opinion.

Had a good Allen Bill ride this morning but the rain came around noon.

Posted: Jun 11, 2017 at 8:45 Quote
Anybody know how much rain at Allen bill or the Nordic Centre? Trying to decide if it's worth going out today.

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2017 at 8:49 Quote
Suns out In Invermere, trails are as good as they get and the lifts are turning at Pano. Perfect Sunday.

Posted: Jun 11, 2017 at 9:18 Quote
brotherchadwick wrote:
Anybody know how much rain at Allen bill or the Nordic Centre? Trying to decide if it's worth going out today.

GBCTA claims 40 mm Friday through Saturday. Elbow Valley weather station only showing 8 mm and Cox Hill about 20 mm yesterday. Probably on the wet side of things now but might not be too bad by afternoon.

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2017 at 13:33 Quote
fargle wrote:
brotherchadwick wrote:

GBCTA claims 40 mm Friday through Saturday. Elbow Valley weather station only showing 8 mm and Cox Hill about 20 mm yesterday. Probably on the wet side of things now but might not be too bad by afternoon.

Judging by the amount of ruts on Merlin View I saw this week it seems people are riding the trails when they are really too wet to ride.

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2017 at 19:37 Quote
Pneuma-RoS was surprisingly good this afternoon. A few splashly puddles in the usual spots but all the woodwork was nice and dry on the way down. Tow Snow was a mess and busy. Not the place to be thinking Strava on a Sunday afternoon.....

Chatted to a couple of DH at the top of RoS and they implied Tdub was muddy / greasy at the start.

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 6:49 Quote
I rode up the road and down Shaft around 7pm and it was running well.(Thanks to the truck that drove me to 727...made my climb shorter!) A few puddles, but not greasy by any means. The sun and breeze yesterday seemed to dry things up nicely.

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 7:37 Quote
Rode Shaft, Family Guy and 727 yesterday, a couple snow spots at the top of Shaft, and a few easily avoidable puddles from saturdays rain but other than that the trails were mint, super tacky

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 15:05 Quote
arrowheadrush wrote:
Rode Shaft, Family Guy and 727 yesterday, a couple snow spots at the top of Shaft, and a few easily avoidable puddles from saturdays rain but other than that the trails were mint, super tacky
avoiding puddles is for the weak city people.....
And it braids the trail.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018769
Mobile Version of Website