Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 18:47 Quote
puddles on shaft are quite easily avoided. Most are at the base of berms, so rail the tops of the berms, or jump the puddles. All very doable without trail braiding. Strava straight lines eliminating entire switchbacks are another issue however.

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 20:25 Quote
Searching for a 12mm x150mm 650b DH rear wheel. Anyone have one laying around?

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 20:36 Quote
tgreid wrote:
puddles on shaft are quite easily avoided. Most are at the base of berms, so rail the tops of the berms, or jump the puddles. All very doable without trail braiding. Strava straight lines eliminating entire switchbacks are another issue however.

Just dropped it this afternoon, noticed at least 2 Strava*shole reroutes. Maybe that's why I've dropped 3 places this spring.

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 21:46 Quote
tgreid wrote:

Stop worrying about getting you're panties wet and splash that shit! Switchbacks are meant to be broken, just a bunch of flow busters........

CM!

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 21:52 Quote
so don't use the berms, check. Be crusty old f*ck on the internet, check. tell everyone to just ride while somehow spending an inordinate amount of time being crusty old f*ck on the internet instead of riding, check. Look up irony in the dictionary, check.

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 9:57 Quote
Rode Ridgebax, up Moose, down FG, back along Riverside, last night, pretty much primo conditions..saw a few dudes bust out of Snakes and looked relatively clean so looks like Sat rain may have been sucked up fairly well..

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 11:02 Quote
d-man wrote:
arrowheadrush wrote:
Rode Shaft, Family Guy and 727 yesterday, a couple snow spots at the top of Shaft, and a few easily avoidable puddles from saturdays rain but other than that the trails were mint, super tacky
avoiding puddles is for the weak city people.....
And it braids the trail.

Rolleyes

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 12:05 Quote
Eastlands was tacky goodness last night with only the trails running close to the creeks being a bit wet. I do feel though that more riders should (re)discover this area as some the trails are getting pretty over grown. I managed a little over 350m of climbing in an hour which is as much climbing as Ushoulda / Billy Dog and didn't really have to cross my tracks that often.

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 12:18 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:
Eastlands was tacky goodness last night with only the trails running close to the creeks being a bit wet. I do feel though that more riders should (re)discover this area as some the trails are getting pretty over grown. I managed a little over 350m of climbing in an hour which is as much climbing as Ushoulda / Billy Dog and didn't really have to cross my tracks that often.

Agreed! east lands is an awesome spot to have in town. Also agree there is a lot of bushwhacking that could be done!

Last August the CMBA was out to do some brush cutting. Since it probably hasn't been done since the trails were originally built in the mid 2000's, they all didn't get thorough haircut.

I'm sure if there is enough interest the CMBA could set up a trail evening to go back in and finish the job. I know there are a few routes that could use some attention.

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 12:34 Quote
Broughen wrote:
I'm sure if there is enough interest the CMBA could set up a trail evening to go back in and finish the job. I know there are a few routes that could use some attention.

Beware the stinging nettle in the Eastlands!! I went a couple of weeks ago and at a spot near the bottom of Hawkeye and Turtle Soup (I think) there were some downed trees and I almost stepped in a nice big patch of it in an area that really needs some brushing.

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 13:04 Quote
I would happy to lend a hand in the Eastlands.

Does anyone know how to access the Eastlands from COP? I know you could could access it from the bottom before they turned Bowfort road into a scene from mad max. What's the COP access like now?

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 13:20 Quote
eyun wrote:
Does anyone know how to access the Eastlands from COP? I know you could could access it from the bottom before they turned Bowfort road into a scene from mad max. What's the COP access like now?

BigSteve has posted some ideas about access from below as he usually comes over from 12 Mile Coulee area I believe. I live up there and I access it from New Apolostic Church on the right side of Old Banff Coach Rd. at the 73rd St./Coulee Way intersection. You can park on the side of the street and roll your wheels north towards the trees. Lots of people park over by the French International School on 77th as well.

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 13:41 Quote
Thanks. My office is at Winsport, so it would be convenient to access it somehow from the bottom.

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 13:52 Quote
eyun wrote:
Thanks. My office is at Winsport, so it would be convenient to access it somehow from the bottom.
there used to be a road between the Eastlands and the ski jump, with a parking area, but I haven't been there since the construction started...

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 13:58 Quote
eyun wrote:

You can still access it from the bottom, just ride up the gravel road towards the Scottish store and enter to the left up top on the last trail head that's accessible from the lower west side.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009833
Mobile Version of Website