Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 14:55 Quote
launchrider wrote:
FYI there was a black bear about 100 m off of T Dub last night right after the wallride in the meadow. My group yelled at him but he was unfazed so decided best we GTFO.

did he hit the wall ride, or did it look like he was more of a left turn/wall ride kind of bear? And should MMBTS be building both directions for wall rides to accommodate bear turning preferences? I also have reason to believe that this bear has been straight-lining sections to move up on the Strava board, so I'll keep an eye out for him tonight and flag his ride.

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 22:27 Quote
Moose was fast and loose tonight

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 8:18 Quote
Fun fast riding in Bowmont yesterday evening on superb smooth packed dirt. Paskapoo was great as well- kudos to whomever has taken on the task of whipping back the jungle on Hawkeye. tup

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 7:10 Quote
Last night, Billy Dog was great could use some rain, 7-27 was super grippy, had some help moving a tree off the SS ride around, thanks guys. Cya was perfect as well.

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 18:07 Quote
I had a great ride over Baldy Pass this afternoon. Sometimes I question the wisdom of grinding up 10 km of double track for a descent of only 4.5 km, and then have 5 km of highway riding to close the loop- but the big grin at the bottom always tells me that it was worth it. Conditions are dry and firm other than the usual loose rocks on the ridge at the top and the creek bed section low down. Judging by the amount of tire tracks in the handful of wet spots- this fun trail isn't seeing the traffic that it used to get, and deserves.
There is a section of maybe 500m long, about 1.5- 2 km before the pass, that has become very overgrown with alders- I prescribe a CC group ride where everyone brings pruners...... Big Grin That would make short work of it.

Posted: Jun 24, 2017 at 18:25 Quote
Beauty day in the elk valley, bike park trails were mint!

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 6:44 Quote
I rode west bragg yesterday morn (dry btw). Near the false top of Ranger Summit, we were passed swiftly by an average looking rider. At first chalked it up to me being unfit till I saw her on the road later and noticed her bike had a big black box on the lower cross bar which leads me to believe its an ebike. I haven't ridden west bragg much lately and wondering if this is becoming a normal sighting??

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 11:16 Quote
Could have been an ebike, or some bikes are starting to come with stashes for tubes and such that fit in the low part of the frame. Or she might have been one of those sneaky fast people, who knows

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 13:23 Quote
With all the bike demos going on lately, many of which include e-bikes, I would suspect that's the case. I think every time I'm at that point on Ranger I am wishing for an e-bike.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 21:53 Quote
barrup wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Speaking of dung- it looked like the ranchers were trailering in the cattle at Station for summer grazing.

What does the grazing lease cost per summer? Surely all the hikers, bikers, trail groups and trail builders could contribute enough money to take over the lease and not suffer with the green slime and the trail damage all summer.

Said like a true gentrified entitled mountain bike trail user.......you must eat your steak well done.......

CM!

O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 8:35 Quote
The COs are on it this year and with all the e-chatter over bears, including a bluff charge in WBC so they've put up bear notices. The bear signs are generic so I thought I'd share more specific information about Moose Mountain's resident bear.

1. The bear's name is Cinnamon.
2. Cinnamon's companion doesn't like XC riders (so uncool!)
3. Cinnamon's favorite beer is Pilsner and prefers if you leave the cooler lid off
4. To let Cinnamon know you're just another Moose user you need to yell "YEE - HO - HO - YAW - HEE!" at the top of your lungs and flap both arms up and down.
5. Never ask Cinnamon about the NDP - just don't do it.

Above all else be bear smart - Cinnamon hates idiots!

O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 21:24 Quote
Family Guy-SHAFT: bone dry but not too loose= a mighty fine afterwork loop. One rideable 12 cm dead tree across SHAFT, maybe 3/4 of the way down, not far below the "S-turn". Too big for my Swiss army knife but would be quick work with a 20cm pruning saw. No bear signage posted at Ings that I noticed. Which of course doesn't mean squat to the bears- they are out there all the time. As one of those XC types, I left the baby blue spandex one-piece at home in order not to annoy Cinnamon's "partner", but all I had as a peace offering for Cinnamon was a Wild Rose Barracks Brown Ale- too gentrified maybe?

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 11:05 Quote
Tom Snow is dry and in great shape. Nice direct trail to Moosepackers and back - a classic evening ride.

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 11:35 Quote
jitenshakun wrote:
Tom Snow is dry and in great shape. Nice direct trail to Moosepackers and back - a classic evening ride.

As opposed to R1, R2 which are less direct.. My first time riding R2,R1 this year (and possibly in a couple of years) and they seemed much more eroded and rooty than I remembered. Heading back from Special K required effort especially when compared to the (now reclaimed) logging road.

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 16:13 Quote
Big old black bear was shredding Special-K this afternoon. Trail was in great condition too. Rode Tom Snow instead of ridgeback, from now on I don't think I"ll be riding ridgeback again unless its really wet out. Forgot how much shorter it is and I've always disliked ridgeback 2.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.031933
Mobile Version of Website