Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 13:21 Quote
For those that don't use Facebook (specifically, the MTB Trail Reports group) - there apparently was an incident at West Bragg Creek recently:

"The GBCTA has received a report that several mountain bikers were injured on the west Bragg Creek trails after being clothes-lined by wire strung across the trail between trees. Cochrane RCMP has not received an incident report, but encourages trail users to use caution on the trails. We are attempting to obtain further information as to the location and date where the incidents occurred. Anyone with information on these incidents, or further encounters are encouraged to contact Cochrane RCMP immediately, or call 911."

No further details were provided (i.e: location or time), so keep your eyes open...

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 13:37 Quote
mntbiker wrote:
For those that don't use Facebook (specifically, the MTB Trail Reports group) - there apparently was an incident at West Bragg Creek recently:

"The GBCTA has received a report that several mountain bikers were injured on the west Bragg Creek trails after being clothes-lined by wire strung across the trail between trees. Cochrane RCMP has not received an incident report, but encourages trail users to use caution on the trails. We are attempting to obtain further information as to the location and date where the incidents occurred. Anyone with information on these incidents, or further encounters are encouraged to contact Cochrane RCMP immediately, or call 911."

No further details were provided (i.e: location or time), so keep your eyes open...

That's not good ... thanks for the update. I quit Facebook, so if there is breaking news can someone post it here?

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 10:19 Quote
husstler wrote:
That's not good ... thanks for the update. I quit Facebook, so if there is breaking news can someone post it here?

The story has made the Calgary Herald as a "local trail society is reporting". The Herald contacted the media relations person for the RCMP and are reporting there hasn't been a complaint or report filed with the Cochrane RCMP.

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 13:02 Quote
Got to laugh at the fact Mike V has already commented on the Herald article. If you aren't aware of who he is: https://www.outsideonline.com/1808171/trial-mike-vandeman

Seems fitting.

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 14:13 Quote
Someone should post that link under his comment.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 14:53 Quote
Seems official.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/mountain-biker-injured-by-barbed-wire-on-trail-near-bragg-creek-1.3493973

No mention of exact trail.

Grim reading.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 19:01 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:
Seems official.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/mountain-biker-injured-by-barbed-wire-on-trail-near-bragg-creek-1.3493973

No mention of exact trail.

Grim reading.

I feel like we need to start a go fund me page to get the victim a new bike. A second reward fund to find the perpetrators may also be worth while.

EDIT (July 10, 2017): I'm less enthusiastic about this campaign in light of the recent information. I was initially motivated by the, "that could have been me" feeling & I pledged $25, but I would encourage others to hold off at this time, as it's starting to look a bit "scammy."...

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 19:52 Quote
freeride-boy wrote:
Someone should post that link under his comment.

Done

And someone stole this guys bike after he was injured? what the f*ck?

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 20:07 Quote
There is a go-fund-me for the victim now. I just donated. Lets rally and help this guy out!

https://www.gofundme.com/bike-stolen-after-almost-dying

According to a comment the victim made on the CMBA FB page, the trail where the incident occurred is Merlin View.

EDIT (July 10, 2017): I'm less enthusiastic about this campaign in light of the recent information. I was initially motivated by the, "that could have been me" feeling & I pledged $25, but I would encourage others to hold off at this time, as it's starting to look a bit "scammy."...

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 21:05 Quote
Rode the Quirk Creek-Wildhorse loop today (for the first time). Crossing the Elbow river was easy, knee deep at most. We trended left and got on the exploration road that turns South into the Quirk Creek valley after a couple of kms. The road is easy cruising with lots of meadows until you get to the spectacular Threepoint Creek Canyon. I never knew there was such a feature in the foothills. We retraced our route and found the turnoff onto Wildhorse trail after a couple of kms, it is more obvious from the south with a trail marker on a tree. The trail is merely an impression in the grass in a few spots and we lost it in a cutblock at one point - stay to the right. The descent down to the river is classic old-school gnar - lots of fun. The trail was pretty well bone dry throughout with just a couple of (boggy) creek crossings. We didn't see a soul all day.

Posted: Jul 8, 2017 at 9:09 Quote
Maybe it's the cynical ahole in me but the whole incident seems a little fishy. The bike being stolen. No one else encountering the wire.

Guy has started a dodgy "go fund me" in the past. Starts another go fund me asking for $8k to replace is 10 year old specialized.

https://www.gofundme.com/3wi34b4

The relationship between hikers, equestrians and bikers in WBC is pretty amicable and I would hate for a false flag to taint that relationship.

Posted: Jul 8, 2017 at 10:33 Quote
Armstrongslefttesty wrote:
Maybe it's the cynical ahole in me but the whole incident seems a little fishy. The bike being stolen. No one else encountering the wire.

Guy has started a dodgy "go fund me" in the past. Starts another go fund me asking for $8k to replace is 10 year old specialized.

https://www.gofundme.com/3wi34b4

The relationship between hikers, equestrians and bikers in WBC is pretty amicable and I would hate for a false flag to taint that relationship.

Yeah I saw the guy's "I lost mah dog" GoFundMe as well and basically had the same thoughts as you regarding the new campaign.

But I also acknowledge that the internet has made skepticism and cynicism my default reaction to most any story - so I'm just gonna hide in the background until more details emerge.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.090246
Mobile Version of Website