Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Sep 4, 2017 at 13:25 Quote
Rode Fernie Alpine Resort yesterday since everything else was closed and it was the same as KHR. Baby powder dust on every trail especially up off the Timber chair.

Hopefully they get some rain soon.

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 at 13:27 Quote
More trail closures for travelers to be aware of. According to the UROC FB page Blairmore Pass Powderkeg ski hill trails and Whistling Post are the only trails open in Crowsnest Pass. Everything else is off limits.

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 at 14:09 Quote
southernrockyflow wrote:
More trail closures for travelers to be aware of. According to the UROC FB page Blairmore Pass Powderkeg ski hill trails and Whistling Post are the only trails open in Crowsnest Pass. Everything else is off limits.

any word on Revelstoke?

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 at 15:41 Quote
Based on my social media feed half of Calgary seemed to be in Revy this long weekend and no closures yet. I feel though that now someone has been first ro close lots of other places will probably follow.

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 at 15:56 Quote
RearBrake wrote:
Agree on the KH intel, BLOWN! Which is awesome, it's so good there when it's loose. Surf the berms and double the bomb holes. Also, Swampdonkey was closed, I don't know why, but if it opens it was in almost tacky shape last weekend.

Donk is almost always closed when I go to khoe

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 at 17:11 Quote
tgreid wrote:
RearBrake wrote:
Agree on the KH intel, BLOWN! Which is awesome, it's so good there when it's loose. Surf the berms and double the bomb holes. Also, Swampdonkey was closed, I don't know why, but if it opens it was in almost tacky shape last weekend.

weird, I rode swamp donkey yesterday and it was pretty good shape, upper super berms was good, lower was moon dust.

Disappointing, sign at the gondola said closed and I rode by mid morning and the rope was up. I've had this happen before where it's closed in the morning and then mysteriously open later in the day.

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 at 17:16 Quote
RearBrake wrote:
tgreid wrote:
RearBrake wrote:

weird, I rode swamp donkey yesterday and it was pretty good shape, upper super berms was good, lower was moon dust.

Disappointing, sign at the gondola said closed and I rode by mid morning and the rope was up. I've had this happen before where it's closed in the morning and then mysteriously open later in the day.

One more note, apparently KHMR does not allow e-bikes on the hill. The top gondola operator though the bag taped to my frame with a tube etc. was a battery. The reason I was given is that the battery could explode in a crash. Now, I can respect banning e-bikes from a bike park on general principle but worrying about the battery exploding is the lamest thing I may have heard to date. Do we now ban Galaxy 7 phones on the gondy?

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 at 18:08 Quote
RearBrake wrote:
RearBrake wrote:
tgreid wrote:

One more note, apparently KHMR does not allow e-bikes on the hill. The top gondola operator though the bag taped to my frame with a tube etc. was a battery. The reason I was given is that the battery could explode in a crash. Now, I can respect banning e-bikes from a bike park on general principle but worrying about the battery exploding is the lamest thing I may have heard to date. Do we now ban Galaxy 7 phones on the gondy?

why would you need an e-bike in the bike park? gondola.

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 at 18:18 Quote
RearBrake wrote:
RearBrake wrote:
tgreid wrote:

but they rent the Cube ebikes there??? I thought that was the point of that new uptrack beside northern lights?

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 at 18:22 Quote
One more note, apparently KHMR does not allow e-bikes on the hill. The top gondola operator though the bag taped to my frame with a tube etc. was a battery. The reason I was given is that the battery could explode in a crash. Now, I can respect banning e-bikes from a bike park on general principle but worrying about the battery exploding is the lamest thing I may have heard to date. Do we now ban Galaxy 7 phones on the gondy?[/Quote]

why would you need an e-bike in the bike park? gondola.[/Quote]

Totally agree, although I don't personally have a problem with e-bikes, to each their own, the reasoning bike KHMR was ridiculous. And, I have yet to see a bike use the up track other than during the enduro.

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 at 18:25 Quote
yeah that reasoning is weird. maybe if you only have an e-bike and you want to ride it, just check the battery at guest services beforehand or something.

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 6:19 Quote
Rode Snakes and Ladders yesterday, good ride as usual. Anybody else think the trail people with the mini dig ruined the 2 corners they worked on lower down? Took the flow completely out of that section, with weirdly spaced corners and no berming.

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 8:03 Quote
around the misty range on Saturday. What a shame I never got to do that one before the floods on what must have been an easy cruise down the Sheep instead of 3-4km of on and off. I would have preferred to have ridden it the "legal" way via Mist Ridge, but I wanted to take my girlfriend on a ride to Sheep Pass.

I made the mistake of climbing up the left side of Rickert's Creek after picking up a trail (one that heads to Gibraltar Pass?), a mistake that would have been obvious had I brought my map, which shows the trail on the right side. I bushwacked across to find the trail. The ride down Mist creek was awesome. A chiller version of Cox, with some nice cruisy singletrack down low.

Rickert s Pass is the notch

Posted: Sep 6, 2017 at 6:22 Quote
With all the forest closures in SW Alberta, and the continuing hot dry forecast- you gotta wonder how long until we get shut out of K-Country. Last time was about 10 years ago I think. I rode Ranger-Strange-Daddy-Snag-Boundary yesterday. The smoke didn't seem that bad, but I finished up the ride with a raspy throat and aching head. Lots of trail widening going on as riders take to the margins to avoid the looseness. Time for a raindance.....

Posted: Sep 6, 2017 at 8:04 Quote
Thinking of little/big elbow this wknd. Havent done since the flood, but hear this is now all doable and nice change. Anyone out there hit this of late? Any big reroutes that are not significantly marked? Just remember going down the shale after the climb (counter-clock) and taking a sharp left (after usually fixing a flat).

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009502
Mobile Version of Website