Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: May 3, 2018 at 19:12 Quote
Jumpingpound Loop was good to go this afternoon!
Mainly in very good firm condition, with a few minor wet spots and scattered ridable patches of soft ice, most notably on the lower leg in the first 500m west of the lot.
Nothing that I would call muddy.
The upper leg was 98.99% great- so good that I had to turn around after completing it CW, and ride the loop again in reverse.
The north side of Moose is still looking very white, and quite a bit of snow was still visible on the shaded aspects of the low elevation hills just across highway 68.

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 19:36 Quote
jmercier wrote:
10 cars and 20 bikes passed me headed to Ings last night , so lots of people trying to ride but probably don't want to post about it

Looks like people are riding Toothless based on Trailforks

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 7:14 Quote
Any recon on Pneuma, Family guy? Seems those 2 would get hit early with sun. crossing fingers....

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 8:11 Quote
trees99 wrote:
Any recon on Pneuma, Family guy? Seems those 2 would get hit early with sun. crossing fingers....

Saw a post this morning from the AB66 guys saying it lower FG, billy dog and toothless are all riding well! apparently one tree down on BD. Havent been out myself, but might go check it out this weekend.

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 9:20 Quote
Fish Creek was awesome last night. The far southwest corner is still wet but tons of dry dirt to get had west of Macleod Trail. So rad to ride dirt again!!

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 22:17 Quote
acdownhill wrote:
trees99 wrote:

Saw a post this morning from the AB66 guys saying it lower FG, billy dog and toothless are all riding well! apparently one tree down on BD. Havent been out myself, but might go check it out this weekend.

Sweet. Time to go ride BD. I'll bring my pack saw.

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 14:39 Quote
Did Jumping pound loop also today and I'll agree its good to go. Weird I only saw about 6 people the entire time, it's still a secret I guess.

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 16:52 Quote
Saturday morning city ride: Bowmont-Paskapoo-12 Mile-Bowmont. In a word- perfect!
I connected over to 12 Mile from COP via an overgrown decrepit trail that I happened upon last fall, on which I have been spending some time off and on with a machete beating back the encroaching bush.
The eastern 3/4 of the 1.8 km route shown below which winds up and down through the forest, seems to see little use, other than probably a few neighbourhood dog walkers, and kids building forts.
At present the route, which rides much better from E to W, is a bit primitive due to lack of recent use (hence posting it here) but is completely rideable now (other than maybe one horrible short uphill) and is mostly easy to follow if you are paying attention- I have put up a few pieces of discrete flagging in critical spots.
The western end leading into Bowness Park, which I knew about previously, is in good shape as it is much more well travelled.
Disclaimer: I have no idea about the "legality" of this trail but it seems to have been a well used neighbourhood trail at one point before falling into disrepair.
Use at own risk.

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 18:04 Quote
Dlakusta wrote:
Did Jumping pound loop also today and I'll agree its good to go. Weird I only saw about 6 people the entire time, it's still a secret I guess.

Maybe it's kept like that for a reason , not all trails need to be turned into Merlins.

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 19:40 Quote
Family Guy dry and good as of this afternoon.

Edit: from Billy Dog.

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 20:33 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Saturday morning city ride: Bowmont-Paskapoo-12 Mile-Bowmont. In a word- perfect!
I connected over to 12 Mile from COP via an overgrown decrepit trail that I happened upon last fall, on which I have been spending some time off and on with a machete beating back the encroaching bush.
The eastern 3/4 of the 1.8 km route shown below which winds up and down through the forest, seems to see little use, other than probably a few neighbourhood dog walkers, and kids building forts.
At present the route, which rides much better from E to W, is a bit primitive due to lack of recent use (hence posting it here) but is completely rideable now (other than maybe one horrible short uphill) and is mostly easy to follow if you are paying attention- I have put up a few pieces of discrete flagging in critical spots.
The western end leading into Bowness Park, which I knew about previously, is in good shape as it is much more well travelled.
Disclaimer: I have no idea about the "legality" of this trail but it seems to have been a well used neighbourhood trail at one point before falling into disrepair.
Use at own risk.
I’m pretty sure I rode (more like bushwhacked) that trail about 10 years ago as it’s a few hundred meters from my house. It’s definitely been there a while. It would be sweet to clear it out and make a decent trail out of it.

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 22:27 Quote
jackhennigan wrote:
Fish Creek was awesome last night. The far southwest corner is still wet but tons of dry dirt to get had west of Macleod Trail. So rad to ride dirt again!!
is the pump track open?

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 23:24 Quote
False wrote:
jackhennigan wrote:
is the pump track open?

I saw a kid and parent putzing around on the little trail around the hill beside it. I don't think theres a closed or open dates with that one but I could be wrong. I didnt look up close but would be very surprised if it wasn't bone dry, not a tree in sight around there.

Posted: May 6, 2018 at 6:37 Quote
OldSkuhl wrote:
I’m pretty sure I rode (more like bushwhacked) that trail about 10 years ago as it’s a few hundred meters from my house. It’s definitely been there a while. It would be sweet to clear it out and make a decent trail out of it.

It's decent enough to ride now as a connector as there is no bushwhacking involved anymore, although if you're not careful- getting scratched is likely. I will be continuing with the brushing out once in a while when I am riding that way, but what it needs now is more traffic on it, and maybe a short re-route or two. Probably not a trail for the masses- narrow slow and twisty (800 mm bars bewarelol ) and no "flow". But it has potential....

Posted: May 6, 2018 at 6:57 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
OldSkuhl wrote:

It's decent enough to ride now as a connector as there is no bushwhacking involved anymore, although if you're not careful- getting scratched is likely. I will be continuing with the brushing out once in a while when I am riding that way, but what it needs now is more traffic on it, and maybe a short re-route or two. Probably not a trail for the masses- narrow slow and twisty (800 mm bars bewarelol ) and no "flow". But it has potential....

I thought there used to be a No Bike sign on that trail under the Stoney overpass? When I get my bike back on the trail, no rear shock, I will give it a cruise.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011880
Mobile Version of Website