Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 7:40 Quote
tgreid wrote:
On a serious note, anyone know the best way to access mount Allen? Would it be centennial ridge from dead man's flats all the way up to the peak? Or is there a better way to help summon my inner reg mullet?

Either or Tyler. If you want the big big day, go up and over then up and over. Personally I enjoy the down to Nakiska, has more Euro Steep Jank than DMF side. But thats me. Cent trail access point is just past the Nakiska turn off. Mid week adventures are the best, as it gets littered with HIkers and at the speeds we ride at...you end up scarying the hell out of people, so best to save it for mid week IMO

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 7:53 Quote
tgreid wrote:
On a serious note, anyone know the best way to access mount Allen? Would it be centennial ridge from dead man's flats all the way up to the peak? Or is there a better way to help summon my inner reg mullet?

From the Nakiska side I have ridden part way up Skogan then went left (I believe Marmot Basin trail) and onto the service roads for the Nakiska cats. The service road got me to the top of Gold chair and then I traversed over toward Eagle Tail and kept going to the resort boundary. Then I pushed across a game trail over a bowl until I intersected Centennial Trail. From there I descended down Centennial which is pretty steep at the top.

The very top of the downhill course that is accessed by the t-bar didn't seem to have an easy way up. I think if you wanted to summit then I would go up Centennial.

From Deadman's Flats I have ridden up Centennial trail from that side. Steeper than Skogan but straight forward. It takes you to the tree line then you start pushing. I pushed up until the trail petered out then turned around.

I have always wondered if there is worthwhile ride from point to point on Centennial so I would be interested if anyone has tagged that.

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 8:06 Quote
quinner wrote:
tgreid wrote:

Either or Tyler. If you want the big big day, go up and over then up and over. Personally I enjoy the down to Nakiska, has more Euro Steep Jank than DMF side. But thats me. Cent trail access point is just past the Nakiska turn off. Mid week adventures are the best, as it gets littered with HIkers and at the speeds we ride at...you end up scarying the hell out of people, so best to save it for mid week IMO

A heads up that Centennial is an official trail, but- not designated as a bike route, which as far as I can recall from Parks regulations is taken to mean- "no bikes". Currently- there is a bear closure in effect on the Nakiska side, from Ribbon Creek to the summit.

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 9:02 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
A heads up that Centennial is an official trail, but- not designated as a bike route, which as far as I can recall from Parks regulations is taken to mean- "no bikes". Currently- there is a bear closure in effect on the Nakiska side, from Ribbon Creek to the summit.

maybe he has a Cane Creek fork launch video to film?

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 16:03 Quote
[Quote="racerfacer"
maybe he has a Cane Creek fork launch video to film?[/Quote]
Good memory, I had forgotten about that! I hear that the "cool" rangers make exceptions for sponsored riders with product to promotelol
Not a dig at you-QNR.
The facts on Centennial Trail:
https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/kananaskis/kananaskis-country/advisories-public-safety/trail-reports/kananaskis-valley/
As you know, racerfacer- there are plenty of options open for this kind of riding, outside of the parks.
Trail report:
Excellent conditions with minor puddles this afternoon, on SS-Pnuema-ROS-RB's1&2-Bobcat-Mama.

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2018 at 7:12 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
[Quote="racerfacer"
Good memory, I had forgotten about that! I hear that the "cool" rangers make exceptions for sponsored riders with product to promotelol
Not a dig at you-QNR.
https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/kananaskis/kananaskis-country/advisories-public-safety/trail-reports/kananaskis-valley/
As you know, racerfacer- there are plenty of options open for this kind of riding, outside of the parks.
Trail report:
Excellent conditions with minor puddles this afternoon, on SS-Pnuema-ROS-RB's1&2-Bobcat-Mama.[/Quote]

Interesting... the jumpingpound summit trail is listed as hikers only. This is by far the most popular route for bikers that ride jumpingpound ridge to Cox hill....

O+
Posted: Aug 6, 2018 at 7:04 Quote
danny wrote:
Interesting... the jumpingpound summit trail is listed as hikers only. This is by far the most popular route for bikers that ride jumpingpound ridge to Cox hill....

Right you are! Which is a surprise to me, and most others I would assume. Would hate to go back to slogging up JPR south- I've ridden down it a few times in recent years, and continued erosion on the steeper parts has made it look even less climbing friendly.
So....I just had a look at trail pages for other K-Country zones. Another interesting find....Upper Lake trail, which circles Upper Kan Lake at PLPP, is listed as being open for bikes with no mention of restrictions as to how far one may ride.
Through the mists of time- I remember this being a decent ride way back in the 80's, that was eventually closed to bikes, and as far as I knew-remained so.
Hmmm.....

Posted: Aug 6, 2018 at 9:26 Quote
danny wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:
[Quote="racerfacer"
Not a dig at you-QNR.
Trail report:
Excellent conditions with minor puddles this afternoon, on SS-Pnuema-ROS-RB's1&2-Bobcat-Mama.

Interesting... the jumpingpound summit trail is listed as hikers only. This is by far the most popular route for bikers that ride jumpingpound ridge to Cox hill....[/Quote]

I interpret this as the short summit offshoot trail that goes off of jumpingpound ridge trail (which does allow bike access according to the parks website) up to the proper jumpingpound summit.

O+
Posted: Aug 6, 2018 at 13:05 Quote
tgreid wrote:

I interpret this as the short summit offshoot trail that goes off of jumpingpound ridge trail (which does allow bike access according to the parks website) up to the proper jumpingpound summit.

The whole trail from the road....
https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/kananaskis/kananaskis-country/advisories-public-safety/trail-reports/sibbald-flats/jumpingpound-summit/

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 11:37 Quote
E-bikes at Bragg Creek - legal?

Does anyone know the quick answer?

We were passed by a couple on Monday that seemed low on fitness and big on attitude.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 11:48 Quote
fiftyfour-46 wrote:

We were passed by a couple on Monday that seemed low on fitness and big on attitude.

For some reason, people that own/sell e-bikes treat that question like it's a can of worms, but it's a simple answer: No.

West Bragg Creek is a Provincial Recreation Area. Check the FAQ on the Alberta Parks page.

"Question: Can I use my E-Bike in provincial parks?

Answer:

E-bikes are currently not permitted on non-motorized trails.
Only bicycles propelled by human power are allowed on designated trails."

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 11:58 Quote
From what I've been told, most of West Bragg is fine. However you go in and out of the park while on the trails and that is where the problem arises.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 18:46 Quote
I guess if you are courteous to other trail users most people could not tell the difference.

fiftyfour-46 wrote:

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 21:27 Quote
brucie1 wrote:
I guess if you are courteous to other trail users most people could not tell the difference.

^^^ Words to live by from one of our elders Razz
While my personal opinion is that using one for mtb is lame (the handful of riders that I have encountered on e-bikes looked perfectly capable of pedalling under their own power)- I'm not bothered much by mountain mopeds as they exist now, as long as they are low powered, speed limited and pedal assist, but do have concerns about opening the door to motorized use and what it might lead to in the future.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2018 at 15:05 Quote
Friday: Got in a quick CoxHill loop in the cool morning air. Spray Lakes Sawmills has thoughtfully provided a new viewpoint on the climb up from Lusk!:
photo
Thankfully, the road from Dawson was in fine shape for pedalling, as log hauling hasn't started yet by the looks of it.
Winds picked up a bit, keeping temps on the Cox climb reasonable, but bringing thicker smoke by 10:30 at the summit. Moose was barely visible:
photo
Conditions? As expected with the summer heat- a loosefest in spots, especially on both sides of the upper slopes. After the initial drop into the trees, things firm up with a better ridden in track, making for more carefree descending. Overall-very good riding.

Re: Jumpingpound Summit- I did come across something of interest- a discrepancy between the JP Summit trail description linked to previously, which says- "no bikes", and the official K-Country map that indicates otherwise. Have a look at the portion that I have cut out below, and the accompanying legend taken from the same map:
photo
One of these days I'm going to try and get this clarified, as it seems strange that a route that has been well used by riders for many years is now possibly closed. Or what? In the meantime- there is definitely room for interpretation.Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018928
Mobile Version of Website