Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Aug 11, 2018 at 11:20 Quote
It would be a real loss if the Summit trail were closed to bikes. My last few experiences on the Canyon Creek trail suggest that it was basically unrideable (for mere mortals). The flood stripped away the top 12" or so of dirt leaving basically a creek bed of unsupported rocks (baby head to monkey head sized). It was bad enough I haven't been back in 2 years though so maybe it has improved.

Posted: Aug 13, 2018 at 5:54 Quote
I prefer hitting the top of JP as an out and back from the lusk trailhead, then continuing to cox.

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 at 14:41 Quote
racerfacer wrote:
I prefer hitting the top of JP as an out and back from the lusk trailhead, then continuing to cox.

Another ride that I like is up from Lusk, down JP Ridge south, up Summit, back down to Lusk. With only 3 km of road it gives a high ratio of trail to gravel.

Speaking of eroded trails- great conditions on Powderface Ridge this morning! The gravel road approach is a bit loose and washboardy in spots, but not really tedious to pedal.
Today had the clearest skies that I have seen for a while out there, but to the north- it looked like a river of brown smoke was emanating from the Bow Valley.

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 at 19:24 Quote
Do you recall km / vert of that loop? I like summit climb as it has the highest start elevation, and i dont mind riding the road.

Anyone pull a chariot on any length of the high rockies? I've only been out there once south of driftwood, and cant recall exactly, but figured it would be doable. (Slow enough to match my 7 year olds pace).

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 11:38 Quote
lazyname wrote:
Do you recall km / vert of that loop? I like summit climb as it has the highest start elevation, and i dont mind riding the road.

Would guess about 25 km, 1000m.
Yet another variation is the Jumpingpound figure 8. Road south from Lusk, up Summit, down JP south, road return north to Summit and up it again, then down JP north to Lusk. Easier climb, 10 km gravel.
All that depends on the go/no go for bikes on Summit trail- I’m going with the status quo for now unless told otherwise.....

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 12:11 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
lazyname wrote:

Yet another variation is the Jumpingpound figure 8. Road south from Lusk, up Summit, down JP south, road return north to Summit and up it again, then down JP north to Lusk. Easier climb, 10 km gravel.
All that depends on the go/no go for bikes on Summit trail- I’m going with the status quo for now unless told otherwise.....

How's the Lusk descent? I'm of the mindset that if I'm out there I have to be riding down Cox. Also is it Mac ride, Chariot and breastfeeding friendly (trying to stay on topic here).

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 13:36 Quote
employee7 wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:
lazyname wrote:

How's the Lusk descent? I'm of the mindset that if I'm out there I have to be riding down Cox. Also is it Mac ride, Chariot and breastfeeding friendly (trying to stay on topic here).

I've only gone up Lusk once, but would imagine the descent would not be enjoyable. The first quarter appears similar to Cox, but the rest is essentially wide smooth switchback pathway riding. Cox appears to be 1.36 million times better. I like the idea of up Lusk, back up to the peak of the summit, then back down Cox.

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 17:02 Quote
Yes- bottom half of “Lusk” aka JPR north is wide, smooth and easy angled. Fast riding but all those switchbacks could use some berms to increase the fun factor.
I have done Lusk to the summit and back over Cox a few times- steeper climbs make it feel more demanding to me than the Summit to Cox loop that is the standard route these days, although it does involve much less gravel riding if pedaling the road.

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 9:28 Quote
Moose was less dusty than I would have thought last night. Cheers to whoever put some love into upper TW. Good on ya.

Posted: Aug 17, 2018 at 15:26 Quote
Mid-day at Baldy Pass:
Along the totally dry and in good shape backside access route- lots of trees festooned with flagging made me think that another round of logging is in the works?
Last summer there was a very overgrown section about 1.5 km before the pass- kudos to whoever took the initiative to cut back the alder jungle tup (I don't think that it was parks)
Initial descent from the highpoint down to the pass seemed way looser than I recall, the remainder of the dh was in it's usual rough, rooty shape Big Grin

Edit to add- the smoke was a bit better than in Calgary, with decent vis to about 4-5 km away.

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 12:19 Quote
Was out at "west moose" last night. The morning rain storm hit there a little harder than the city and holes were still full of water in the parking lot at supper time. Found a pair of shades on a trail that doesn't exist. If you can identify them you can have them back. Conditions were great btw.

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 19:01 Quote
employee7 wrote:
Was out at "west moose" last night. The morning rain storm hit there a little harder than the city and holes were still full of water in the parking lot at supper time. Found a pair of shades on a trail that doesn't exist. If you can identify them you can have them back. Conditions were great btw.

Good thing you guys still keep talking about the trails that don't exist here on the internet........that sure keeps them covert.....

CM!

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 20:57 Quote
Cro-Mag wrote:
employee7 wrote:

Good thing you guys still keep talking about the trails that don't exist here on the internet........that sure keeps them covert.....

CM!

Just trying to get a dude his shades back. Didn’t name names or locations.

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 15:51 Quote
The smoke seemed a bit worse at Moose than in the city this morning. Raspy throats after climbing Pnuema has us cutting our planned longer ride in half and descending Shaft. Like all the other trails that I have ridden this week in the Moose-Bragg zone- bone dry and fast but not really loose yet. By noon- the smoke was getting thicker.

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 20:17 Quote
employee7 wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:
employee7 wrote:

CM!

Just trying to get a dude his shades back. Didn’t name names or locations.

Might as well have......hang em in the parking lot and leave it be.....

CM!

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009125
Mobile Version of Website