Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 8:02 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Mid-day at Baldy Pass:
Along the totally dry and in good shape backside access route- lots of trees festooned with flagging made me think that another round of logging is in the works?
Last summer there was a very overgrown section about 1.5 km before the pass- kudos to whoever took the initiative to cut back the alder jungle tup (I don't think that it was parks)
Initial descent from the highpoint down to the pass seemed way looser than I recall, the remainder of the dh was in it's usual rough, rooty shape Big Grin

Edit to add- the smoke was a bit better than in Calgary, with decent vis to about 4-5 km away.

The clean up of the overgrown section is nice for sure. Have you ever rode the Lusk connection? We rode cox and baldy on the weekend - absolutely perfect conditions with a bit of rain friday. Have never done the connection with Lusk. Looked like it may be overgrown? Might attempt that next time.

Thoughts?

Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 19:55 Quote
kenny99 wrote:

....Have you ever rode the Lusk connection? We rode cox and baldy on the weekend - absolutely perfect conditions with a bit of rain friday. Have never done the connection with Lusk...
Thoughts?

I rode Lusk once, but that was about 20 years ago. I recall a wide, almost old dirt road type of trail through a matchstick pine forest with no views at the pass (or fun!) at all. Could work as a connector though.

Monday afterwork Bowmont-12 Mile. Hero dirt, fast trails, few minor puddles.

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 8:13 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
kenny99 wrote:

....Have you ever rode the Lusk connection? We rode cox and baldy on the weekend - absolutely perfect conditions with a bit of rain friday. Have never done the connection with Lusk...
Thoughts?

I rode Lusk once, but that was about 20 years ago. I recall a wide, almost old dirt road type of trail through a matchstick pine forest with no views at the pass (or fun!) at all. Could work as a connector though.

hahah. Yeah that's what I would expect - and maybe overgrown now. Wonder if anyone ever connects cox over to baldy. Would be a fun day.

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 14:13 Quote
A figure 8 loop from Dawson seems doable, but you'd have to ride Lusk pass in both directions.

Or part of a 1 way crazy mega trip to Canmore. (Merlin, Kestrel, Tom Snow, Powderface, Lusk, PV, Razors, Quaite Connector, Bow Corridor, Quebexican).

Or go down Stoney to Skogan, and add in a Skogan area descent to Hwy 1.

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 16:53 Quote
kenny99 wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:
kenny99 wrote:

Thoughts?

hahah. Yeah that's what I would expect - and maybe overgrown now. Wonder if anyone ever connects cox over to baldy. Would be a fun day.

I rode Lusk pass from Powderface to Baldy about a month ago on a Bikepacking trip and it wasn’t too bad. A few sections of overgrowth but from what I remember it was all rideable. I think the trail still gets used quite often by equestrians. There were actually some pretty fun downhill sections coming down from the high point.

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 18:44 Quote
lazyname wrote:
Or part of a 1 way crazy mega trip to Canmore. (Merlin, Kestrel, Tom Snow, Powderface, Lusk, PV, Razors, Quaite Connector, Bow Corridor, Quebexican).

The boys did something of the opposite a couple weeks ago, Canmore-Ings, about 100km and 4000m. f*ckIN' IMPRESSIVEBeer

Posted: Aug 29, 2018 at 9:03 Quote
robnow wrote:
lazyname wrote:

The boys did something of the opposite a couple weeks ago, Canmore-Ings, about 100km and 4000m. f*ckIN' IMPRESSIVEBeer

WOW. On that note, I don't think conditions on the moose can get any better right now. Got a pretty good rain on sunday night and it's MINT now. A few puddles here and there but great dirt tup Beer

Posted: Aug 29, 2018 at 11:33 Quote
kenny99 wrote:
On that note, I don't think conditions on the moose can get any better right now. Got a pretty good rain on sunday night and it's MINT now. A few puddles here and there but great dirt tup Beer

Same great conditions at WBC yesterday on Braggin-Merlin-Recon-Discon-Telephone-Long Distance.
Could actually see Moose Mountain- it is sporting patches of a strange white substance.

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 11:58 Quote
Anyone know that the deal is with a bike race at Bragg? Lots of trails were flagged last night.

Interested in times and days to avoid.

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 12:05 Quote
fiftyfour-46 wrote:
Anyone know that the deal is with a bike race at Bragg? Lots of trails were flagged last night.

xc provincials I believe. Being put on by a Medicine Hat club, according to the member of said club on the chairlift in Fernie.

http://www.albertabicycle.ab.ca/uploads/files/2018%20Tech%20Guides/MTB/2018%20Provincial%20XCO%20Tech%20Guide.pdf

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 12:14 Quote
More than $70,000 worth of stolen bikes found in northeast garage

I'm not getting my hopes up for my bike, but maybe someone will get lucky...

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/more-than-70000-worth-of-stolen-bikes-found-in-northeast-garage

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 12:25 Quote
brettkapcsos wrote:
More than $70,000 worth of stolen bikes found in northeast garage

I'm not getting my hopes up for my bike, but maybe someone will get lucky...

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/more-than-70000-worth-of-stolen-bikes-found-in-northeast-garage

Police should be on the lookout for a guy with a barbwire shaped scar on his neck.

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 16:15 Quote
Man, they're racing on the long weekend? WBC is going to be crazy.

FC is in great shape!

Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 8:36 Quote
fargle wrote:
fiftyfour-46 wrote:

xc provincials I believe. Being put on by a Medicine Hat club, according to the member of said club on the chairlift in Fernie.

http://www.albertabicycle.ab.ca/uploads/files/2018%20Tech%20Guides/MTB/2018%20Provincial%20XCO%20Tech%20Guide.pdf

Does this mean the route is closed off to public completely?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008845
Mobile Version of Website