Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 10:15 Quote
Meto89 wrote:
fargle wrote:
fiftyfour-46 wrote:
Anyone know that the deal is with a bike race at Bragg? Lots of trails were flagged last night.

Interested in times and days to avoid.

xc provincials I believe. Being put on by a Medicine Hat club, according to the member of said club on the chairlift in Fernie.

http://www.albertabicycle.ab.ca/uploads/files/2018%20Tech%20Guides/MTB/2018%20Provincial%20XCO%20Tech%20Guide.pdf

Does this mean the route is closed off to public completely?

With this being a long weekend and all I would avoid the area completely during the day on Saturday...or access from Station Flats/Allan Bill.

Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 10:21 Quote
Quiet at moose last night. Pneuma, 727 and shaft were primo. Thought I'd get a ride in and secure a camping spot for the weekend. Gooseberry, and Paddy's were full at 4:30, I got the last walk in at Beaver.

I'd estimate actual occupancy was about 30-40%, with the rest filled with placeholder tents or trailers. Many of which had been put up on Wednesday. Pretty nippy last night.

O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 17:33 Quote
brettkapcsos wrote:
More than $70,000 worth of stolen bikes found in northeast garage

I'm not getting my hopes up for my bike, but maybe someone will get lucky...

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/more-than-70000-worth-of-stolen-bikes-found-in-northeast-garage
So they found 10 bikes?

O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 19:23 Quote
BNJ99 wrote:
brettkapcsos wrote:
More than $70,000 worth of stolen bikes found in northeast garage

I'm not getting my hopes up for my bike, but maybe someone will get lucky...

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/more-than-70000-worth-of-stolen-bikes-found-in-northeast-garage
So they found 10 bikes?

Forty-one "high end" bikes.

Posted: Sep 2, 2018 at 8:11 Quote
hdfreerider wrote:
Forty-one "high end" bikes.
Gotta remember that for a lot of the normals out there, $1000 on a bike sounds insane

Posted: Sep 2, 2018 at 14:37 Quote
I am looking for some people to ride with that want to get some shuttles in at Moose mountain. I know the trails well and am a fairly fast rider. I have a vehicle that could be used for retrievals or gas money if it's not used and I always have some beers. If anyone wants to ride just shoot me a message!

Posted: Sep 3, 2018 at 10:20 Quote
Vest found on Suffer Springs just before the Moose Road, on Sunday September 2. PM me if it is yours.

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 12:47 Quote
Anyone checkout Old Forgetmenot, Forgetmenot Summit loop. (recently appeared on trailforks).

I am guessing there is a fair bit of type II fun required, and that one should be wary of hiker traffic on the ridge descent.

But it does look like quite a bit of time in the alpine.

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 15:08 Quote
I have never done it, but I believe the typical route described in Eastcott or Cameron was to go further south on the Threepoint Mountain trail to the Gorge Creek loop, then ride that leg of the Gorge Creek loop (Volcano Creek Trail) back to the Threepoint Canyon, and finish on Quirk creek or Wildhorse

O+
Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 19:27 Quote
I've run it a few times years ago heading straight up from Elbow river at the northern end. I recall a pretty steep climb in places so I imagine it'd be a real brake burner to descend.

O+
Posted: Sep 5, 2018 at 8:57 Quote
racerfacer wrote:
I have never done it, but I believe the typical route described in Eastcott or Cameron was to go further south on the Threepoint Mountain trail to the Gorge Creek loop, then ride that leg of the Gorge Creek loop (Volcano Creek Trail) back to the Threepoint Canyon, and finish on Quirk creek or Wildhorse

That would be the "classic" Forgetmenot Rounder. My most recent ride on that was a few years back- it always was a rugged but beautiful foothills xc loop, further erosion and hoof trampling has made it less enjoyable now IMO.

lazyname though is talking about something different- a traverse of Forgetmenot Ridge:

lazyname wrote:
Anyone checkout Old Forgetmenot, Forgetmenot Summit loop. (recently appeared on trailforks).

I am guessing there is a fair bit of type II fun required, and that one should be wary of hiker traffic on the ridge descent.

But it does look like quite a bit of time in the alpine.

I've only hiked the ridge from the north end, once, years ago, but I would say that the description of the route along the ridge and the descent to Elbow on Trailforks sums it up accurately.

Edit to add my own 2 cents: Tread lightly! Shredding the alpine vegetation is not cool, despite a trend in videos showing that kind of behaviour. On the flats it's probably not such a big deal, but best to stick to the beaten track or the rocks for the dh.

Posted: Sep 5, 2018 at 11:05 Quote
On that note, I noticed that the Nihahi West scree descent is quite visible from Little Elbow. (not sure if it was before, its just rocks, no veg).

Not sure of the regulatory difference between wildland parks, provincial parks, and non park areas within K-country.

Posted: Sep 5, 2018 at 11:07 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:
I've run it a few times years ago heading straight up from Elbow river at the northern end. I recall a pretty steep climb in places so I imagine it'd be a real brake burner to descend.

Agreed, I would think the cheese for this ride is the time up on the ridge and the summit, where grades look to allow for some good riding.

O+
Posted: Sep 5, 2018 at 13:07 Quote
Ranger, Stick It, and Boundary were all tup tup last night. Small puddles, but barely worth mentioning. Nice and quiet with all the kiddos back at school too. Maybe 6 cars in the lot when I got to WBC for an after work ride.

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 17:35 Quote
7-27 and Sulphur springs in same area (so Elbow junction up to pneuma) closed currently due to bear feeding on a carcass.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020374
Mobile Version of Website