Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2018 at 18:14 Quote
Family guy is GTG for climbing. It’s dry. Heard from guys in the parking lot that billy dog is dry. Toothless looked dry from the entrance. Jean Guy had snow on the rocks but the trail looked dry. SHAFT has a white cap. First entrance was a mistake, lower was better. Snow on trail at the top, but it’s worth the effort getting through it to the drier part. Mid and bottom sections are prime!! Two downed trees in the mid section of SHAFT, keep your heads up.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 18:15 Quote
Sugar Mama and the top of Bobcat were 93% good late this afternoon. I went out and back the same way, so I can’t say for sure but the top of Strange Brew looked mucky.

Hoping to try Sugar Daddy tomorrow and some more of Boundary and Snagmore.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 20:04 Quote
31 km ride connecting loops in Bowmont, Paskapoo and 12 Mile on Sunday afternoon. At least 80% on single track, with great conditions and only a few minor wet spots.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 20:28 Quote
dilusion56 wrote:
Family guy is GTG for climbing. It’s dry. Heard from guys in the parking lot that billy dog is dry. Toothless looked dry from the entrance. Jean Guy had snow on the rocks but the trail looked dry. SHAFT has a white cap. First entrance was a mistake, lower was better. Snow on trail at the top, but it’s worth the effort getting through it to the drier part. Mid and bottom sections are prime!! Two downed trees in the mid section of SHAFT, keep your heads up.

How big are the trees? Chainsaw or handsaw?

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 20:46 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
31 km ride connecting loops in Bowmont, Paskapoo and 12 Mile on Sunday afternoon. At least 80% on single track, with great conditions and only a few minor wet spots.

Nice! Are you able to post your route? Set off to try this on Friday but ran outta time/lost my way and just doubled back in bowmount. Ended up with similar kms, but never made it to 12 mile.

Thanks in advance!

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2018 at 8:18 Quote
chriscarrier wrote:
dilusion56 wrote:

How big are the trees? Chainsaw or handsaw?

One could use a hand saw if one were so inclined, obviously would be easier work with a chainsaw. First one is definitely bigger than the second one.

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2018 at 19:12 Quote
Broughen wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:

Nice! Are you able to post your route? Set off to try this on Friday but ran outta time/lost my way and just doubled back in bowmount. Ended up with similar kms, but never made it to 12 mile.

Thanks in advance!

I created a ridelog on Trailforks, but the app won't allow me to make it public, due to the inclusion on my route of so called- "secret or sensitive trails". Maybe because there are a few segments on my route that are not documented yet on TF, or the brief incursion onto the CPR right of way?
Below is a screen shot with as much detail as I could fit, which gives a rough idea at least of the connector routes that I typically use, which are a mix of trail, bike path and road.
photo

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 6:26 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Broughen wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I created a ridelog on Trailforks, but the app won't allow me to make it public, due to the inclusion on my route of so called- "secret or sensitive trails". Maybe because there are a few segments on my route that are not documented yet on TF, or the brief incursion onto the CPR right of way?
Below is a screen shot with as much detail as I could fit, which gives a rough idea at least of the connector routes that I typically use, which are a mix of trail, bike path and road.

Awesome. Thanks bigsteve!

Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 9:48 Quote
Night ride in WBC. Braggin rights is a little slimy in spots but not too bad. Merlin is GTG.

Bark at the moon!!!! It's full

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2018 at 17:37 Quote
kenny99 wrote:
Night ride in WBC. Braggin rights is a little slimy in spots but not too bad. Merlin is GTG.

Bark at the moon!!!! It's full

Much the same conditions on those trails this afternoon. Kestrel- dry out to the viewpoint, Reconnnect- a bit icy/muddy, but still grippy, for a short distance lower down, otherwise pretty dry, Long Distance south- almost all dry. Very good fall riding!

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2018 at 17:21 Quote
Two loops from Ings this afternoon: Pnuema-Family Guy via Ninja Cow (kudos to whomever improved the turnoff!) and then a loop on the sunny aspect of the "other side". Pretty close to summer conditions throughout, other than a couple of easily rideable patches of snice. Only slop of note was on the Elbow trail, where it parallels the gravel road.

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 at 6:39 Quote
I rode Braggin Rights / Merlin at West Bragg yesterday afternoon. Pretty much summer conditions except for the stretch of BR between Telephone and Merlin which is like soft yoghurt.

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 at 14:14 Quote
Prairie mountain trails are perfect. Bit of snow up at the top of Pistolero, but nothing that gets in the way.

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2018 at 10:44 Quote
PV-RE-QC-JP on Monday. PV and RE are good. Quaite climb is mostly snow covered, although it was decently packed and thus about 90% rideable with just a few hundred metres of hike-a-bike near the top. Jewel has snow on the top half, although its entirely rideable, albeit a little slippery.

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2018 at 14:58 Quote
Sulfur-Pnuema-Race, this afternoon:
Mostly great summer conditions, with a few ice patches of little concern, other than maybe the one just up from 7-27, which is a bit rutted.
Belated report from the weekend:
Sugar Mama-SnakesLadders-RB3-Bobcat-StrangeBrew-SugarDaddy-Snagmore, etc. All basically dry, with minor remnants of ice and mud at the two valley bottoms, and along small sections of Ladders.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.029715
Mobile Version of Website