Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2018 at 10:50 Quote
Soooo... Are we still calling Friday's snow "a dusting"? Frown

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 14:20 Quote
shlotch wrote:
Soooo... Are we still calling Friday's snow "a dusting"? Frown

More than a dusting on Moose, few inches made riding up Moose road terrible, like riding through sand. Was not anticipating good conditions on Toothless based on the climb, but the decent was rad! A bit drifty but not put of control. The descent was worth the crappy climb. Fat tires not necessary, but would've aided the climb. No fats needed for the descent. No studs required yesterday, did not encounter any hidden ice.

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 19:39 Quote
Heads up. A friends window was smashed at the ings mine parking lot and a wallet was taken.

This was in the middle of the day with probably 10 vehicles in the parking lot.

Take your valuables with you. It Will save you a lot of headaches if this ever happens to you!

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 6:42 Quote
To me, 5 cm = a "dusting", but then- I'm not doing a morning ski area report. That's all that WBC got. My ski-by observation yesterday would be that the south trails looked great for fatting, maybe a bit soft for ideal skinny riding.

Don't know why people still continue to leave valuables behind while recreating- Trailhead B and E's have been a problem for so long that I don't even bother to lock my truck.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 8:53 Quote
danny wrote:
Heads up. A friends window was smashed at the ings mine parking lot and a wallet was taken.

This was in the middle of the day with probably 10 vehicles in the parking lot.

Take your valuables with you. It Will save you a lot of headaches if this ever happens to you!

Was it in plain sight in the vehicle or hidden?

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 15:30 Quote
Cougar noted on Braggin Rights 3/4 the way up. Was hanging around the trail edge.

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 9:05 Quote
Koob wrote:
Cougar noted on Braggin Rights 3/4 the way up. Was hanging around the trail edge.

Yikes. When was that? Wife and I were out there last night. Didn't really see anybody...... so a bit eerie.

cougar would make that a little worse Eek

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 9:34 Quote
kenny99 wrote:
Koob wrote:

Yikes. When was that? Wife and I were out there last night. Didn't really see anybody...... so a bit eerie.

Would have been about 1 in the afternoon. I was working in the equipment shed out there when the two women with a small dog reported it to me. Apparently it tailed them at close range for a bit. I informed GBCTA exec and asked the women to report it to fish and wildlife.
I didn’t ride so no conditions update. Kenny?

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 16:36 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
kenny99 wrote:
Koob wrote:

Would have been about 1 in the afternoon. I was working in the equipment shed out there when the two women with a small dog reported it to me. Apparently it tailed them at close range for a bit. I informed GBCTA exec and asked the women to report it to fish and wildlife.

Little bits of ice on Boundary. Snowy owl was awesome for FBs. I'd say you need studs out there right now if you are riding a skinny tire but I think you'd get by. IMO. There was lots of dirt showing on boundary and parts of ranger. The north side was good for FBs on sunday but sunny spots were getting softer.

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 19:35 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
kenny99 wrote:
Koob wrote:

Took a crew on snowshoe to hostel loop today.....cougar was definitely around......not too big by the looks of things but definitely fresh......trails were mint......no fat bikers needed on that side studs would only be for chicks who are looking.....

CM!

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 20:23 Quote
Anybody know when Moose mtn road closes for the winter? I heard it’s December 1, but is that the morning or the evening of the 1st that they close it? Thx

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 22:23 Quote
OldSkuhl wrote:
Anybody know when Moose mtn road closes for the winter? I heard it’s December 1, but is that the morning or the evening of the 1st that they close it? Thx

8am December first

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 23:46 Quote
tgreid wrote:
OldSkuhl wrote:

8am December first
Thx man!

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 10:40 Quote
Still snow and ice right to the top of the road yesterday, all ploughed.

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 13:47 Quote
This morning at WBC: very good riding throughout.
Whitetail, Braggin, Merlin: a mixed bag of fine conditions- not a huge amount of ice, but enough that I was happy to have made the switch to spikers.
I returned to the trailhead via Telephone, that new trail, Old Shell Road, Snowy Owl and Shortcut, West Crystal: all mostly thin packed snow, studless friendly.
Everything was pretty much frozen when I started out at 11, but there were some minor soft spots developing in the sun later on.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.077397
Mobile Version of Website